Finding affordable medicine in Bangkok?

HaleyPage47

Just got a job and moved to Bangkok a couple weeks ago. Yes my job offers health insurance but I have a preexisting condition and they are denying me coverage. I take several medications which are strictly controlled and can only be purchased in a private hospital— not a pharmacy or a government hospital. I went to a private hospital here in Thailand a couple days ago and they quoted me 24,000 Baht for a 30 day supply. That’s way more than I paid before I moved here. The medicines are Clonazepam (here sold as Rivotril) and Topiramate (sold as Topamax). Does anybody have suggestions on where I can get medicine for cheaper? Advice is much appreciated thank you!

I had some years ago Clonazepam and got it from the muscle and nerve clinic. Dr. Erawaddy. It helped a lot but be sure you get rid of it with time…

It might be possible you get it also from a pharmacy in Padipat street. BTS Saphan Kwai.

They know me and gave me these pills some years ago.

PM for further quest. if any

@HaleyPage47Clonazepam  is indeed a controlled drug but topiramate is not, can get without prescription at any large pharmacy and there are inexpensive locally made brands as follows:

Macromate

Pitomate

Pradox

Clonazepam does have to be obtained from a hospital but contrary to what you seem to have been told, can be gotten at a government hospital and that would be less expensive than a private one. Except for a few very new drugs, all medications registered for use in Thailand are available at government hospitals.  Note that there are locally made brands of clonazepam which should not be at all expensive.

While the  private insurance you have through your job may exclude your condition, unless you are employed by a private school, you should also be covered under Thai Social Security and that has no exclusions and would cover your meds (have to get from nominated SS hospital).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Anybody knowing his way in Bangkok where to find pharmacys that offer homeopathy in or Bach Flower dillutions ? ????

Not likely.

Thais wanting alternative medicine usually turn to Traditional Thai medicine which has a huge numver of formulations.

You might try online e.g. iherb or other. 

I moved from BKK to Pattaya in 2014 but when I lived in BKK I bought my medications from a pharmacy just a few doors West of the PTT station on the corner of Sukhumvit and Soi 4 - sorry but I never knew the name.  It may or may not still be open but it is worth checking since the prices were much less than from hospital pharmacies and most other pharmacies. 

You can always stop into Bully's Bangkok pub for a meal and a drink afterward since it is only a few doors further West of the pharmacy, or wonder back to Soi 4 and the Nana Entertainment Center or just down Sukhumvit for food and a drink.

10 hours ago, DJ54 said:

OP you might ask if any generic brands available. One of the big private hospitals doesn’t stock generic  brands but can order for you

and get in a few days. 

Local generics are available for both drugs. For topuramate which can be bought at pharmacy witout prescription  i have listed the local brands in post # 4.

Governments hospital would surely have local brand cloanazepam.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

I moved from BKK to Pattaya in 2014 but when I lived in BKK I bought my medications from a pharmacy just a few doors West of the PTT station on the corner of Sukhumvit and Soi 4 - sorry but I never knew the name.  It may or may not still be open but it is worth checking since the prices were much less than from hospital pharmacies and most other pharmacies. 

You can always stop into Bully's Bangkok pub for a meal and a drink afterward since it is only a few doors further West of the pharmacy, or wonder back to Soi 4 and the Nana Entertainment Center or just down Sukhumvit for food and a drink.

That great pharmacy is long gone.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Captor said:

Order them from India.

As one of the drugs is a controlled substance, seriously illegal and risky

For the one thsat is nto controlled (topirimate) hardly necessary as there are locally made generics that can be bought over the counter here