You Speak w\WHAT Accent? Manc? N/Wales? S/Wales? Etonian? Which?

To My Fellow Sociolinguists:

Have you ever given a thought to what people here might sound like if you could hear their speech in an informal setting, and not performing for an audience, or applying for employment?

I am the inquisitive sort, same as you, and I want to know.

Therefore, please be so kind as to describe your accent, and why you think your accent may have influenced your life in any either positive or negative way.

Naturally, you can just feel free to attach an audio clip to your comment, if you feel inclined to let us hear you.  Or, if overly bashful, then just do your best to describe what you sound like; and tell us, too, if your wife can understand you. (Or, if you are too shy, OR if attaching audio clips of you speaking might be somehow disallowed here, then…just do your best to find a UTUBE video clip of someone speaking like you think you sound to others....and post said UTUBE video clip with your comment.)

That's all for now, really, and I will wait with great anticipation to, hopefully, learn something new.

If you want to know my favorite accents, here you can hear them in the following two video clips:

You know what? I have always, just as most people have always, enjoyed the play, Pygmalion..and, maybe, this, too, is because I love all things Irish, just too, too much.

Now, having so deftly written this topic, 

I bid you a good goodbye, and..

Regards, 

Gamma

Note:  Capital! CAPITAL!  Such a truly CAPITAL Topic!

Please ALSO keep in mind while reading this TOPIC that I am an Anglophile at heart who loves Irish speech and Irish writing…to bits!!!!!!

((((IF you are not of the UK, you can still let us know what you sound like when speaking English, whether or not you are a native-English speaker makes no difference when replying to this Great Topic.))))

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Love It 1

19 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

You wrote all of that without giving your own answer to your own question?

Here is a fairly accurate example of what many people my age sounded like in 1967.

I left the US in 1979, and haven't returned since that time, and therefore my speech patterns and pronunciation have remained much the same as they were 50 years ago; you can think of me as a museum piece if you wish.

American English pronunciation has changed much during the past decades due to television and social mobility, and now much more so due to social media.

The Tennessee Valley Authority and the electrification of the rural Appalachian communities has helped to create a more commonly spoken "standard" American accent we hear now.

Even New Yorkers no longer sound like New Yorkers.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Here is a fairly accurate example of what many people my age sounded like in 1967.

I left the US in 1979, and haven't returned since that time, and therefore my speech patterns and pronunciation have remained much the same as they were 50 years ago; you can think of me as a museum piece if you wish.

American English pronunciation has changed much during the past decades due to television and social mobility, and now much more so due to social media.

The Tennessee Valley Authority and the electrification of the rural Appalachian communities has helped to create a more commonly spoken "standard" American accent we hear now.

I would be more like the late Queen Elizabeth II without the plum.

• Haha 1

Can't say i care about any accent or dialect.

As long as i can understand people i am fine.

Op,how many languages do you speak?

I am not a native English speaker but i spent enough years using the English language to consider myself fluent .

Having lived in different countries i can communicate in five different languages.without any difficulty and a few dialects from my home country.

How do i sound?Who cares?As long as i can get my message across.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jvs said:

I am not a native English speaker but i spent enough years using the English language to consider myself fluent .

Having lived in different countries i can communicate in five different languages.without any difficulty and a few dialects from my home country.

I speak only English and Chinese fluently, and still have a long way to go with passa Thai. 

The world is losing languages rapidly, and accents continue to become increasingly homogeneous. 

• Love It 1

35 minutes ago, jvs said:

He is just an a33 hole I don't speak 5 but 4 languages and understand a few more don't worry about him he can't even speak English 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, still kicking said:

What a heap of nonsense again from this poster glad he is on my ignore list.

Could be worse.

At least DoubleG offers an esoteric and eccentric display of subject matter and commentary, adding diversity within a venue that is overwhelmed with blind homogeny, monotony and banality. 

Keep on keeping on, Gamma.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Looks like the OP has all the time in the world to come up with all these weird and bewildering posts, one being stranger and more eccentric than the  previous one.

10 minutes to write...

Zero time to "come up with"

You want 20 of the same within the next two hours?...

Say the word

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

No such thing as American English,......English language with an American accent ...

I was raised across the river from Philly, so, a mid-Atlantic accent. But then I went to college and my working life was spent in Western Kentucky for 46 years. So, I figure I am bilingual being able to use “you all” and “youse guys” interchangeably. A colleague, after hearing me on the phone teased me that as I was talking to a mechanic, I used a “Billy Bob” accent. There may be some truth to that. I am a bit of a parrot. The “Irish lilt” might be detected, after studying in seven countries,  I feel akin to their history, language, and cultures.

15 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

New Yorkers are very easy to pick out….much like real Londoners.

Undifferentiated American English although I can switch to quite a few regional dialects if a feel like it (I've been around).  And if I'm around Brits, I can flip a bastardized version of non-regional Brit.  May have something to do with having spent my first three years of school in a post-WWII Brit school in Harrow.

6 minutes ago, connda said:

Undifferentiated American English although I can switch to quite a few regional dialects if a feel like it (I've been around).  And if I'm around Brits, I can flip a bastardized version of non-regional Brit.  May have something to do with having spent my first three years of school in a post-WWII Brit school in Harrow.

Interesting. 

What years? 

45,46,47?

Times of great change, no doubt. 

• Love It 1