Thailand shakes up golden visa scheme, hikes prices by up to 500 per cent

webfact

24 minutes ago, JayClay said:

I am not going to drop 5 million baht on a visa. I have never suggested that I would.

1 million for 20 years would have be reasonable if I had had access to that sort of money. At 5 million, obviously it's no longer reasonable.

My views on this aren't hard to find. My very first post on this thread states my position clearly.

As for your suggestion of getting married... Do you honestly think that would cost less than 5 million baht over 20 years??

No offence but none of us have a “Right” to live in Thailand & Thailand isn’t obligated to make one available to us so if there are no suitable long term stay options available (as there wasn’t for me when I was under 50), you simply live somewhere else (in my case Singapore) & visit as often as you like/can.

I’m now 57 (born 1966, does that make me a Boomer or Gen X, I feel more Gen X) & on the Non-IMM O Treadmill each year but was/am sorely tempted by the 1Million THB 20 year Elite Visa… At 5Million I’ll go down the Non-IMM OX or LTR route (granted both only available to > 50s so of no use to you at this stage of your life).

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Sad 2

Just now, Mike Teavee said:

No offence but none of us have a “Right” to live in Thailand

No offense taken. The argument I'm making is clearly too complex for you to understand.

I'll try and put it into bullet points for you. If you still don't get it, you're on your own...

• Somebody says "the Elite visa is stupid. Who would pay for such a visa when there's easier/cheaper options out there?"
  • For some people there aren't easier/cheaper options out there therefore the visa does make sense.

That's it. I'm not complaining about the visa options availabile to unmarried (without kids....) people under the age of 50. I'm simply saying that for that given demographic the Elita visa does make sense.

That's it. It's a really, really simple point. Stunningly so.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, JayClay said:

No offense taken. The argument I'm making is clearly too complex for you to understand.

I'll try and put it into bullet points for you. If you still don't get it, you're on your own...

• Somebody says "the Elite visa is stupid. Who would pay for such a visa when there's easier/cheaper options out there?"
  • For some people there aren't easier/cheaper options out there therefore the visa does make sense.

That's it. I'm not complaining about the visa options availabile to unmarried (without kids....) people under the age of 50. I'm simply saying that for that given demographic the Elita visa does make sense.

That's it. It's a really, really simple point. Stunningly so.

And in no way did I argue against that fact… but you asked for alternatives to the Elite visa for <50, unmarried, no kids guys & I simply pointed out that there doesn’t have to be one & the alternative is to live somewhere else 

Is that simple enough for you to understand?

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, WHansen said:

In typical Thai fashion, if expected revenue comes up short, increase prices to make up for losses.

How about lowering prices to increase sales or is that beyond logical thinking.

"Western" logic does not apply in Thailand (except possible amongst Westerners).  Thai "thinking" is at odds with "Western thinking".  Read Professor Peter A. Jackson's "Capitalism Magic Thailand: Modernity With Enchantment", ISEAS, Singapore, 2022, for an excellent, although at times academically heavy, discussion on this topic (avoid the theoretical chapters if necessary).

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

And in no way did I argue against that fact… but you asked for alternatives to the Elite visa for <50, unmarried, no kids guys & I simply pointed out that there doesn’t have to be one & the alternative is to live somewhere else 

Is that simple enough for you to understand?

But I was responding to somebody claiming that there are alternative options, for anybody who wants to stay here, for just 1,900bt per year!

I never said that there should be options, I simply corrected somebody who said that there are options.

We're done here.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, JayClay said:

Okay next time I ask the "obvious question", I will rephase it..

"Could you please explain which visa I could get for 1900bt a year at immigration?

I'm single and under 50. I have no children."

Would you mind "stating the options" now please?

Nobody cares. Go and ask immigration. 

15 minutes ago, JayClay said:

But I was responding to somebody claiming that there are alternative options, for anybody who wants to stay here, for just 1,900bt per year!

I never said that there should be options, I simply corrected somebody who said that there are options.

We're done here.

It's one thing believing you have some right to live in Thailand, but expecting it so cheaply is rather rich. Get married, or pay for say an Elite Visa.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JayClay said:

We're done here.

And I was responding to your initial (Rhetorical) question about there being no alternatives to the Elite Visa for guys who are <50, not married, no kids, don’t want to work, go to school, volunteer, invest money etc… but You’re right, let’s leave it there…

Genuinely hope you find a suitable visa so you can stay in Thailand if this is where you want to live, I wanted to move here at 42 (15 years ago) but didn’t learn about the Thai Elite Visa until I was 48 & at that time was earning  good money in Singapore & so could visit whenever I wanted before getting my non-IMM O (which I only got because I was stopped at DMK for entering Thailand too many times on Visa Exempt).

4 minutes ago, rocketboy2 said:

Worst advice Asean Now 2023 :cheesy:

Oh I don't know... more the problem is those that let the partner dominate them and take them for all they have. ie Mugs. Personally I have been a life-long bachelor and manage with a live in.

1 hour ago, JimHuaHin said:

Thai "thinking" is at odds with "Western thinking". 

Best comment in the thread. The problem is that many come to Thailand and then become quite outraged when they begin to realise there is a difference. From there on in they blame very one in authority for things not being the way they want and in particular when it comes to cost. Comments about lowering prices are quite typical and across the board, the concept of controlling sales or amending product orientation is outside normal comprehension.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Since they cannot attract much in the way of wealthy ex-pats due to a dozen good reasons why those with wealth choose other nations over Thailand, might as well hike the fees. That is a long standing Thai tradition. When demand is low, raise the prices. Just common sense, right?

demand is quite high, thats why they hiked, as the chinese and farang pay every price for it.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, freedomnow said:
15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Do you have one example of the rug being pulled from under legitimate concepts?

In LOS there AREN'T any legitimate concepts..so its a rug-pull every 2nd week or a u-turn or a flip to the flop on some area of the visa system.

More b0llocks.

I was pretty sure that no one would have anything and I was right.  Again.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Perhaps there is no shortage of demand, what makes you think that there is?   

Maybe they have been attracting too many of the wrong type of "expat" and that is the reason for the restructuring?   That is just common sense.

The application of common sense. You give these bureaucrats far too much credit. 

27 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Maybe they have been attracting too many of the wrong type of "expat" and that is the reason for the restructuring?   That is just common sense.

Expand  

The application of common sense.

Precisely, glad that you recognised it.

28 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Expand  

You give these bureaucrats far too much credit. 

Why?  Is your way of irrationally bashing better than giving credit where it's due?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

exactly that. demand is throught the roof. russians and chinese are buying elite visas like crazy, same as european "online entpreneurs" lol. thailand attracted too many people, now they wake up, and realize that they can rip them off, as they will pay any price

On 9/2/2023 at 11:50 AM, bob smith said:

could you explain to me why anyone would pay 5 million baht for a visa that you can get legally for 1,900 baht at immigration? 

What happens if there is a change of mind and the "visa" is cancelled y the government or changed in such a way that many of the subscribers cannot accommodate the change? will they get part of their money back? Very doubtful I would think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why?  Is your way of irrationally bashing better than giving credit where it's due?

Credit should never be given for the sponsorship of inflation, xenophobic policy and a lack of vision. That is the very definition of irrational.

Credit should be given for common sense, intelligence, and forward thinking policy. Which is not the case here. 

• Thanks 1