Do you believe in Ghosts?

bob smith

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

The reason for this is because how can i invest in someone that lets their whole life be ruled by superstition instead of logic and reason?

I do not believe in ghosts, especially The Holy One. Can you lend me Bht 1 M to get my grape plantation off the ground please.

I intend to sell the wine to the Catholic Church!

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

to the title...

... as soon as I see on, maybe

I've seen one and I still don't believe in them.

The mind is imperfect. It can mis-interpret what is presented to us. It can even flat-out make things up.

I don't doubt there are people who think they've seen a ghost or spirit. But they haven't.

• Thanks 1

As a Christian, I'm not supposed to believe in anything besides when you die, you either go to heaven or hell, but there are some passages in the Bible which mention others having experiences with ghosts. I understand the Bible was written by man, and may have problems because of that, but it doesn't matter anyway. I have seen on quite a few occasions "shadows" in my house in Texas, when I was watching TV, alone in the house, that I caught out of the corner of my eye, that went past my doorway.                                          When my ex wife lived there, on three occasions, on a calm night, her dog jumped into the bathroom tub next to our bedroom, and was visibly shaking for at least 5 minutes. They say animals can sense things we can't see, so...                                                               When I worked for Academy Sporting Goods there, I was told while working that others said there was a ghost in the building. I didn't think anything of it until I saw things falling in aisles I was looking towards. No one around, three separate times, items just fell. On two occasions, with no one anywhere near where I was in the gun department, I saw an item start moving back and forth. Moving at least 3 inches back and forth. Two times, different locations, on end caps facing me. I heard things falling many times, but that does happen when a peg is overloaded and things are right on the edge waiting to fall. Boxes, which were placed on the top of the shelves, fell, and when we put things on the top, we make sure they are pushed against the back part of the shelf for the reason they don't fall on customers. I have no fear of ghosts like many do, especially here. If it doesn't have a body, it can't hurt you. If your faith is weak, other things can take hold of your thinking. I believe in exorcisms happening, but they won't happen to me because of my faith.

6 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Being a christian means you have already agreed to believe in the supernatural so none of this is a great surprise. None of it is true of course, but not a great surprise.

I guess you believe the universe and all of it's creations just happened by chance then. Everything being matter, was somehow created from nothing, which is what some believe that either hate that there might be a God, that hasn't done them right, or hurt one of their loved ones, or that others have taught them that belief. In any event, I believe in spirits, or ghosts , just like I believe there might be aliens, with all the talk about them and the amount of people that have seen "something" ,me being one of them.

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

I guess you believe the universe and all of it's creations just happened by chance then. Everything being matter, was somehow created from nothing, 

That's exactly what I believe in. The Big Bang theory is scientifically proven whereas religion is obviosly man-made. To anyone willing to cast a critical eye on it, The King James Bible (what most christians believe to be the 'Word of God') is a book edited in the 17th century from 16th century translations of 8,000 contradictory copies of 4th century scrolls that claim to be copies of lost letters written in the 1st century. There were (and still are) no original texts to translate from and even the oldest of the manuscripts (to include the Dead Sea scrolls) are written hundreds of years after the 'death' of Christ. What you now call the Bible is in fact a version of a version of a version, written for the approval of King James and the British parliament for political reasons.
But hey, if it makes you feel better, believe what you want; Gods, ghosts, fairies, unicorns. They're all the same.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Behind our house are the rice fields.  A couple of years ago at harvesting time the chap on a harvester blew a loud blast on his siren , I asked the wife why and she said it wakes the ghosts up.

Yonks ago when I was a tourist police volunteer in Phuket, I was called out late one evening after dark to search for a lost French guy in the forest areas in Thalang.  I went into the forest with a local Thai who knew the area.  The French guy had a mobile phone with reception and I told him to tell me when he could hear my whistle.  Well, as soon as I blew my police whistle the Thai guy looked horrified and told me not to blow the whistle since it would scare the "tree spirits"!!

How is one meant to find a lost person in the dark forest without using a whistle?

It took us some time .........

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, bob smith said:

was the question that I posed to a thai business acquaintance over dinner last night..

well that did open up a rather large can of worms....

he told me that he did indeed and not only that but he also went to fortune tellers on a regular basis. He also told me that he has changed his name 5 times now to ward off the evil spirits that he believes are out to get him.

I was stunned. 

This guy is apparently well educated. He holds a masters degree from a reputable university and has been working in a very demanding field for years, yet he lets his life and actions be dictated by fortune tellers and spirits.

how this all came about was that he is looking to start his own business and needs 1 million baht in capital to get it up and running.

he knows me through a mutual friend and knows that I am pretty flush at the moment so he had our mutual friend arrange a dinner at a swanky joint in town.

one of my little tricks when deciding to invest in someone is I like to get them drunk and then ask silly little questions like the title of this thread.

by asking such questions I can gauge the intelligence of an individual and whether or not he or she is worth my investment.

Sadly, he didn't pass the test.

The reason for this is because how can i invest in someone that lets their whole life be ruled by superstition instead of logic and reason?

he may just squander my million because the fortune teller told him it was a good idea!

I only work with logical and reasonable individuals, which are sadly quite thin on the ground in my experience here.

Both me and my sister have seen the same lumberjack in the forrest who was dead long time independently, and years between. Me and my fiance heard the same old gramaphone music, child crying, and someone sawing in the middle of night in our house from 1861.

The lumberjack was scary, but the other sounds we heard, and talked about the morning after because I thought I had been dreaming, and she after I say one thing, continued with the next, and we at same time said the third thing we heard was just cosy, and not scary at all. The lumberjack shouted to me, time to go home, soon dark.

Do I believe in Ghosts? Not really, but I think our brain can detect something and we create a ghost or whatever. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Walker88 said:

The Earth is flat. Be careful, or you might fall off.

Your inability to understand quantum field theory and gravity is the equivalent of people who 'knew' the Earth had to be flat, as they could not possibly conceive of the theory of gravity.

You are merely the 21st Century example of a Dark Ages person, unable to understand reality, so you replace it with fantasy.

There is zero evidence of any god from Zeus to Yahweh, yet you believe it always was and always will be. The Universe absolutely does exist, but you cannot accept it may have always existed in some form. There's something inconsistent there.

Your inability to understand that you can't assume what anyone knows in your life, especially on an online forum, is readily apparent. I fully understand gravity , and quantum field theory is a theory, if you understand what a theory is. You are merely the epitome of what a narcissist is, an ignoramus that thinks they are right and all others are beneath them, Well, you're wrong. There is zero evidence of a God unless you have the common sense that everything was created and didn't come from nothing. You, and others like you, have made this argument many times, and have no evidence to prove your side either. I go by faith. You believe others that you assume are smart enough to know better. Half of the scientists in the world believe there is a God, a creator. You believe in what some others have said, just like I do. How did the universe always exist? There are those that, with no evidence or proof,  believe it always existed. I, and the other millions of believers, believe God created everything. We also have no proof besides what we have learned and the teachings of Christ. There are those that saw Jesus come back from being crucified. Some call these people liars yet believe what a scientist has come up with. Some say no one has come back from the dead yet some have been clinically dead for days and came back. Guess there's a theory on that too. Don't assume what others know, because it makes you look ignorant. You believe what you want, and when you die, you will see, and maybe have no words besides, Oh <deleted>!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Your inability to understand that you can't assume what anyone knows in your life, especially on an online forum, is readily apparent. I fully understand gravity , and quantum field theory is a theory, if you understand what a theory is. You are merely the epitome of what a narcissist is, an ignoramus that thinks they are right and all others are beneath them, Well, you're wrong. There is zero evidence of a God unless you have the common sense that everything was created and didn't come from nothing. You, and others like you, have made this argument many times, and have no evidence to prove your side either. I go by faith. You believe others that you assume are smart enough to know better. Half of the scientists in the world believe there is a God, a creator. You believe in what some others have said, just like I do. How did the universe always exist? There are those that, with no evidence or proof,  believe it always existed. I, and the other millions of believers, believe God created everything. We also have no proof besides what we have learned and the teachings of Christ. There are those that saw Jesus come back from being crucified. Some call these people liars yet believe what a scientist has come up with. Some say no one has come back from the dead yet some have been clinically dead for days and came back. Guess there's a theory on that too. Don't assume what others know, because it makes you look ignorant. You believe what you want, and when you die, you will see, and maybe have no words besides, Oh <deleted>!

Very important to know what cind of god we talking about.

Scientists might believe in a god, or some kind of a force, but not all of them believe in a book religion view of a god, or Jesus was gods son. If Jesus is gods son, we all are gods sons and daughters! 

Edited by Hummin
  • Thanks 1

He also told me that he has changed his name 5 times now to ward off the evil spirits that he believes are out to get him.

he is looking to start his own business and needs 1 million baht in capital to get it up and running.

Has changed his name 5 times, and wants to lend a million baht, seems fair to me, why are you hesitating  :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

• Haha 2

I came across this story of the York Roman soldiers a few years back. Not totally convinced but it is rather intriguing.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1977/01/19/Ghosts-of-Roman-soldiers-haunt-ancient-city-of-York/6631571073639/

On a separate note.

Thai TV5 had a ghost programme running for a time where folk would recant their personal ghost stories. Unknown to me my family home in Pattaya was the subject of one of these stories. After a TV studio session with my Thai/UK son and his girlfriend the TV crew pitched up and did a tour of the house. This caused quite some excitement in the village and gawpers were out in force.

As usual, I was unaware of both the 'sightings' and the TV interest. First I knew was being advised to look at the TV5 facebook page and be prepared for a surprise!!

Anyway, no obvious outcome except a vague suggestion that a picture of the wife's long departed mother was involved in some way. All has been quiet since then, but the wife keeps the spirit house well stocked and the small garden bungalow has been repurposed with Buddha related ornaments and such like. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

That's exactly what I believe in. The Big Bang theory is scientifically proven whereas religion is obviosly man-made. To anyone willing to cast a critical eye on it, The King James Bible (what most christians believe to be the 'Word of God') is a book edited in the 17th century from 16th century translations of 8,000 contradictory copies of 4th century scrolls that claim to be copies of lost letters written in the 1st century. There were (and still are) no original texts to translate from and even the oldest of the manuscripts (to include the Dead Sea scrolls) are written hundreds of years after the 'death' of Christ. What you now call the Bible is in fact a version of a version of a version, written for the approval of King James and the British parliament for political reasons.
But hey, if it makes you feel better, believe what you want; Gods, ghosts, fairies, unicorns. They're all the same.  

The Big Bang happened. We believe God made it happen. Simple. Scientists can't prove their theories are true, and Christians go by faith. When we die, there will either be nothing, or judgement. You believe what others have said, just like I do.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I guess you believe the universe and all of it's creations just happened by chance then. Everything being matter, was somehow created from nothing, which is what some believe that either hate that there might be a God, that hasn't done them right, or hurt one of their loved ones, or that others have taught them that belief. In any event, I believe in spirits, or ghosts , just like I believe there might be aliens, with all the talk about them and the amount of people that have seen "something" ,me being one of them.

As you seem so well versed in the bible, Can you Please tell me where Cain's wife came from, as I was under the elusion there was only his mum & dad left in the whole world.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Your inability to understand that you can't assume what anyone knows in your life, especially on an online forum, is readily apparent. I fully understand gravity , and quantum field theory is a theory, if you understand what a theory is. 

You've undone yourself there by obviously not knowing the difference between a 'theory' and a 'scientific theory'. 

'A scientific theory is an explanation for a natural phenomenon that is widely accepted among the scientific community and supported by data. Scientific theories are confirmed by many tests and experiments, meaning theories are unlikely to change. While the word “theory” is commonly used outside the scientific world to describe a simple hunch, scientists use the term to describe a broadly accepted explanation for an occurrence.'   https://www.masterclass.com/articles/theory-vs-hypothesis-basics-of-the-scientific-method

If what is proposed is NOT confirmed by tests and experiments then it's called a hypothesis. Religion is a hypothesis.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Why do you think ghosts or whatever you wish to call them dont exist? It is like saying we are the most intelligent species in the universe.

Ghosts have never been described as a different species as far as I know.

Maybe you're thinking of aliens?

1 minute ago, johnnybangkok said:

You've undone yourself there by obviously not knowing the difference between a 'theory' and a 'scientific theory'. 

'A scientific theory is an explanation for a natural phenomenon that is widely accepted among the scientific community and supported by data. Scientific theories are confirmed by many tests and experiments, meaning theories are unlikely to change. While the word “theory” is commonly used outside the scientific world to describe a simple hunch, scientists use the term to describe a broadly accepted explanation for an occurrence.'   https://www.masterclass.com/articles/theory-vs-hypothesis-basics-of-the-scientific-method

If what is proposed is NOT confirmed by tests and experiments then it's called a hypothesis. Religion is a hypothesis.

Sorry you can't understand that a scientific theory is still a theory. I don't follow religion. That's a man made thing. You don't need to supply links. I have researched most everything about the big bang theory and what many scientists have said. I believe there is a God. You don't. When we die, we will see. If there is no God, it won't matter to either of us. If there is, you'll be SOL.

• Haha 1