‘Russian-only’ businesses in Thailand’s Phuket spark backlash

webfact

Well, I suppose I can say "I told you so" but the best or worst is still to come.

Phuket could very well have a melt down.

As to stealing work from Thais the police just consider any complaint as a nuisance unless

there is pocket money in it. The Labour Dept presence in resort areas are not really 

equipped to confront the Russian mafia.

The other question is how long can Aeroflot maintain their aircraft to keep them in the air for long haul ?

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Russian-only businesses have sprung up, often run through Russian language apps and staffed by people working illegally.

There have also been reports of Russian sex workers operating along the nightlife epicentre of Bangla Road, mainly for Russian clientele.

The police must be enjoying all this illegal activity $$$$$

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Too many Russian in Phuket…

Same same in Ukraine ???????? 

Most are not.

11 hours ago, ChasingTheSun said:

Allot of them are actually ukranians fleeing the draft etc..

Most ukranians speak russian, so allot of people confuse the two.

Chances are, those who speak more than one language are Ukrainian.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Charlest1971 said:

The USA doesn’t tend to invade other countries, unless terrorists fly aeroplanes into its buildings. It has all the natural resources and entrepreneurial spirit that it needs. The USA spreads its influence through democratic means. Countries wish to do business with the USA, which is why it’s influence has spread far & wide. 
In Vietnam & Afghanistan, it has been trying to stop the spread of communism. I doubt it will intervene directly, ever again. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_the_United_States#18th-century_wars

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, itsari said:

Thailand should sell Phuket to the Russians .

USA bought Alaska from the Russians so all is possible 

Or……..find the right corrupt official.    Kings Roman resort in Laos Bokeo province serves as a reminder what is possible.

say it ain’t so Joe.

Edited by NORDO
Had an itch

7 hours ago, Al BB said:

Aeroflot have announced more flights DIRECT to Phuket as well as an increase to BKK. Was this Labrov's mission in July, as well as the " New " Consulate?

Aeroflot can't get official Airbus or Boeing service or parts and also own lots of stolen aircraft from their lessors. They also aren't supposed to be able to refuel in Thailand iirc.

Either they are only flying fully-owned aircraft overseas or they are vulnerable to repo parked up in a foreign country. Though the aircraft have probably lost a lot of their resale value due to the missed maintenance schedule. 

I'm returning to Thailand after Christmas. Wasn't planning to go to Phuket anyways because it's an overdeveloped tourist trap but definitely steering clear now. Stayed next to Russians in the past and most (not all) are not that friendly ime, so they are welcome to Phuket. The women are smoking hot though, it has to be said. 

Edited by MarkyM3
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, martand said:

I.e. Americans, British the West world as the troublemakers causing all postwar wars. If you haven't figured it out yet, figure it out quickly. And yeah, it sucks

You can go back in history as far as you can and you’ll find this has been going on in every geographical area.   Humans hosing humans. It will continue until we destroy ourselves.  People  have conveniently  forgot the Mongols, Japanese, Dutch, French, Germans, Romans, and many others.   Seems you are hung up on the last 100 years or so.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, Modern Coding said:

Ugh... wait... foreigner owning business here in Thailand: hair salons, taxi firms,... aren't they supposed to be restricted to the Thais only??

I thought only Thais would be allowed to run these sorts of business, so how could Russian get the permits to run Thai-only businesses??

And please don't come with the common brown envelop explanation: the Labor Department has become very strict with this!

Regarding people working illegally: in that case, the Russians would have gotten their visa and work permits removed by the authorities. I mean, every foreign business owner knows that you need to have at least 4 Thais registered per foreign owner or employee, declare them every month for the Social Security and so on, yearly audit, half-year financial statement and so on... everything getting stricter...

So if the Russians in Phuket are running business illegally, how come they have not been kicked out yet?? I must have missed something...

The only thing your missing Modern is why do you think Lavrov was in Phuket he was ordering the Guvernor not to make trouble for Russians on the Island and to make there lives better.

• Haha 1

All of this used to be happening in Cyprus and now since the EU has imposed on Cyprus to be 'against' Russia, most of these Russians have now flocked to greener pastures, such as Phuket.

Edited by Debothai
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, mberbae said:

The same is true in Pattaya these days except the foreigners are Indian.

Tens of thousands are there, with their own clubs and massage parlors.

TAT might want to take these things into account when offering super

special promotions to a select few countries.

They don't care where they come from mberbae its all about money and TAT figures.

On one hand, it's racist to single out Russians, but on the other hand I suspect many of these Russian people are selfish draft dodgers afraid to protect their motherland from the fascist imperialist goals of Biden's USA thugs.

So, perhaps the best thing for Thailand to do is deport them back to Russia.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, itsari said:

Thailand should sell Phuket to the Russians .

USA bought Alaska from the Russians so all is possible 

In today's political scererio, Putin could just "annex" Phuket and move Russian troops in to "protect" Russians already there. Same as was done in the Donblas.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

Who cares about these posts about statistics it's about Russians in Phuket.

Exactly! and that is my point.  It is not about Ukrainians, but most of the crime type posts begin "Russians and Ukrainians..."

It's almost impossible for Ukrainians to get here, there are no flights, all able-bodied men are forbidden from leaving the country etc etc

19 hours ago, Charlest1971 said:

The USA doesn’t tend to invade other countries, unless terrorists fly aeroplanes into its buildings. It has all the natural resources and entrepreneurial spirit that it needs. The USA spreads its influence through democratic means. Countries wish to do business with the USA, which is why it’s influence has spread far & wide. 
In Vietnam & Afghanistan, it has been trying to stop the spread of communism. I doubt it will intervene directly, ever again. 

This shows how school education fails in the USA????.

2 brain cells fighting for a third place.

No clues i.e. about the speech from Powel at the UN concerning Iraq and over 25 other invasions/or however you like to call it after ‘45.

Edited by Tom H
  • Confused 2