The state of your average expat in Thailand.

bob smith

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

You should be embarrassed as most of what those expats say is likely true, especially in a ripoff joint like Patpong.

Your final sentence underscores my point; it's all fun and games until you call their bluff and then it's game on.

What games do you play?

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, baansgr said:

It's the typical foreigner... divorced Tesco shelf stacker from home, balding head, fat guy and a bit of money...he comes here, gets a younger wife that makes him feel special and then he starts telling porky pies and acting the big I am...sew them everyday strutting their stuff...total muppets

You really should give up on Lotus's and do your shopping at Big C. You'll find a much better class of farang stuff strutter there and far fewer muppets.

9 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

You should be embarrassed as most of what those expats say is likely true, especially in a ripoff joint like Patpong.

Your final sentence underscores my point; it's all fun and games until you call their bluff and then it's game on.

I recall it used to be fun and games when you were assailed by such people, engaging them in eager conversation just long enough to catch them in their own lies.

Life's too short for that game these days. Whenever an opinionated sort thinks it's his righ to bend my ear and to see things as they see them, I simply let my eyes glaze over and quietly turn on my white noise generator. It's one of the best gadgets I ever bought on lazada.

16 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Then you have the people who couldn't make it in their own country, moved here as it is cheaper thought they would be treated as little kings. didn't succeed in that too and have a major grudge to anything Thai.

I worked here for 30 years, did very well, thank you! ????

20 minutes ago, bob smith said:

who are you to tell me what i should and shouldnt be doing?

don't take crap from anyone, bob.

most of the posters on this forum are quite intelligent.

even though the forum represents only a fraction of expats in thailand. 

but still sth to factor in. your thesis needs more work. 

16 hours ago, paddypower said:

the other thing which both my wife and i sometimes get embarrassed about is when an expat complained about most things Thai.

Typically they only frequent bar stools for extended period daily, other place to find them is on the forum called Aseannow.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, stoner said:

ya beck and his 8 grammys are so loser .....baby

I won't say anything much about Beck. He's okay but Grammy awards mean little. Beyonce has the most, and it's pop music, which isn't the most talented genre. A lot of the music is made using electronics, and not actual musicians, and it's more for the stage show, which can take away from the actual music. U2 has the most as a group, and again, their music isn't that good. Shows the age group of most voters, and politics. Gordon Lightfoot has never received a Grammy award, and he had more talent than all the others combined, and then some. He did receive 16 Juno awards, which is like a Canadian Grammy, but his music was worldwide, so he should have won many. Many artists are much better than those, and other pop artists, especially as musicians, and many are never nominated for the Rock or Country Hall of Fame. Much of today's music is popular for the younger crowd, and it's because of the stage shows and artists acting like sluts onstage, which kids love. It isn't talent in music but appearance,

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Gordon Lightfoot has never received a Grammy award, and he had more talent than all the others combined, and then some. He did receive 16 Juno awards, which is like a Canadian Grammy,

cute.

good thing almost no one outside of canada has ever heard of gordo.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stoner said:

cute.

good thing almost no one outside of canada has ever heard of gordo.

That was my point. His music is far better than much of what passes for music these days, and no nominations for a Grammy. And he's but one of many. And Pink Floyd, another one much better than any pop artist, received only one, for an album that's not near their top 4.

Edited by fredwiggy

5 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

That was my point. His music is far better than much of what passes for music these days, and no nominations for a Grammy. And he's but one of many. And Pink Floyd, another one much better than any pop artist, received only one, for an album that's not near their top 4.

far better for you. 

next you are going to tell me kanye west has no talent either.

11 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Prince Royce and Romeo Santos ............ can't get much better music than that.

So many old guys locked in the 70s when there's so much music in the world today.

Edited by BritManToo

5 minutes ago, stoner said:

far better for you. 

next you are going to tell me kanye west has no talent either.

Far better for anyone that understands what good music and actual talent is. Kanye West is a talented producer, and many like his music, but it doesn't compare to thousands of other more talented musicians. I won't listen to rap, hip hop and the like because there is so much more better music out there. I'm not saying they aren't good at what they do. Just that their talents are more with the lyrics and stage presence than playing an instrument. And it all sounds the same. People have been copying others for decades, and although there is some music that's been coming out the last decade or so that's good, much of it is more of the same, with the words arranged a little differently. Michael Jackson was great at what he did, and I like a few of his songs, especially the earlier ones,but he still isn't in the league of Lightfoot, Dylan, Floyd, Skynyrd, Moody Blues, Genesis, Led Zeppelin, and hundreds more. I love older R&B, and always will. Simple music, musicians that were mostly average, but still better than what's been put out today in R&B. This isn't easy for someone to understand that only likes one genre, such as pop, hip hop or rap, and hasn't been exposed to more that is more meaningful and better played. Some of my friends still listen, as i do, to old 70's and 80's rock, without giving anything newer a chance. That was great music, but there are artists today that are better musicins than those were back then. One in particular, who is probably in the top 3 of guitar players, and lyricists, is Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits. 4 Grammys. He has more good music, and lyrics, than Beyonce will ever dream of having, yet he's far less known, especially of younger people,because a lot of younger people love pop music, and never rise above it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Prince Royce and Romeo Santos ............ can't get much better music than that.

So many old guys locked in the 70s when there's so much music in the world today.

A different language for the same sounding pop tunes a million play.