Khon Kaen marriage extension

I have been doing marriage extensions (non-o) for 25 years, first Bangkok, next Korat, then Nong Khai, and recently Khon Kaen.  Thought I had it all down pat as per last year, so expected reasonable treatment this morning.  Not so.  First thing, after getting bank letter this morning and updated bank book, she complained about no  "bank statement".  Never had such a thing from BBL, but she was adamant that we go back to the bank and get "statement", which, duly done, another half hour and another 100 baht, back to immigration.  All discussions in Thai between wife and IO, and could see things were getting dicey.  Wife proceeded with a purple note and all of a sudden no need for "other requirements".  These being, as wife described to me after:

1. wife's bank account--need such and copies.  She doesn't have an account, so dropped.

2.Falang house paper (yellow or pink book?), never had nor needed, but she said must go to Amphur office and get.  The purple note cancelled that, thankfully.

3. New photos on TM 7 with both wife and I in same pic., which she did.

Don't know whether these "new rules" or just an IO in bad mood.

Just a warning to future applicants.

Jack

You have a bank account with 400k+?

Guess you left out the obvious requirements like the marriage status certificate from the amphoe (district office)? (kor ror 22?).

Photos from the house etc.pp.

Indeed very confusing requirements like photo with wife on TM7?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, JCD said:

2.Falang house paper (yellow or pink book?), never had nor needed, but she said must go to Amphur office and get.

"Pink card" and "yellow book".

Can be easy or a big headache to get depending on amphoe (very erratic).

During my first year it was always good enough to have the wife with me for proof of residence with her blue book (that was for retirement)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah seems tense at the moment but I dont think you ticked all the real boxes, the wife used Line (or possibly something else) to get the current list of requirements a few days before - each office has their own PDF of this i think, we attached this to the front of each signed 120 pages with tick marks next to each item - I think this aided our experience a little as in we had the checklist.

Was not asked for wifes bank book or my yellow/pink book - dont have, seems odd to ask for them, however I think you may of had to "purple note" it as it seems if you didn't have new photos (at least half a dozen covering different rooms and house number), also the bank statement was a requirement on the list (100thb for the letter + 100thb for the statement covering at least 2 months but best to ask for 3), so if they didn't trip you up on the first two you didn't meet the new requirements as defined in the PDFs, perhaps they were trying to help you by allowing 1 and 2 in leui of other documents - did you have the house bluebook etc.. ?

Yes, had all the docs for +400k in bank, plus the requisite six photos with the application.  Have three kids, now adults, also included in the application.  Had house blue book for wife and kids.  Farang house book a new one on me.  Bank "statement" seems to be just a summary of last six month's transactions, so next year need two things from bank, Letter and statement.

3 minutes ago, JCD said:

Yes, had all the docs for +400k in bank, plus the requisite six photos with the application.  Have three kids, now adults, also included in the application.  Had house blue book for wife and kids.  Farang house book a new one on me.  Bank "statement" seems to be just a summary of last six month's transactions, so next year need two things from bank, Letter and statement.

Sounds like one in a bad mood then, hardly anyone has the yellow/pink book  as far as I know to the extent that many amphurs just aren't interested in doing them or you have to get silly amount of sponsors during working hours, I did have a mobile phone bill though to the house in my name that I included in the 120 pages along with wifes blue book,  no idea if that helped

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

"Pink card" and "yellow book".

Can be easy or a big headache to get depending on amphoe (very erratic).

You miss the point. They are not needed for what the OP wanted, and the need was eradicated by a bribe - at an office where several officers were recently removed for corruption. I guess more still needs to be done there.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, circa02 said:

hardly anyone has the yellow/pink book  as far as I know to the extent that many amphurs just aren't interested in doing them

I thought I might as well get one, but the local office said I had to get my UK passport translated and I had to go from Kalasin province to Bangkok to a particular place to get every page in it photocopied. I refused to play along with their game of wanting an incentive to do their job and walked out, followed by my wife who wai-ed the crooks and then said I was rude to walk out on them. I forgot that in Thailand you have to show respect to those trying to cheat you.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, JCD said:

. wife's bank account--need such and copies.  She doesn't have an account, so dropped.

2.Falang house paper (yellow or pink book?), never had nor needed, but she said must go to Amphur office and get.  The purple note cancelled that, thankfully.

You need the letter from an Amphur to say you are still married KOR2 I believe it is called 20b, and if your wife has changed her name to yours there is another Cert copy required. Looks like this.

1721745554_changenamemarry.jpg.4ebebf450c7a6e622e8a49d9c71fe1dc.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You miss the point.

I don't miss anything.

Just commenting on the terms used.

And I made it clear that I did not need it in the beginning.

Edited by KhunBENQ

30 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I don't miss anything.

Just commenting on the terms used.

And I made it clear that I did not need it in the beginning.

The point is that the pink card and yellow book are not needed for a marriage extension, unless the IO is a bit short of cash in her purse. Then they are. It is irrelevant to the application whether they are hard to get or not.

• Like 1

They have had a shake up down there recently, there would be a post in the fb groups if there was any major changes, sounds like you caught someone on a bad day. I live in Khon Kaen and have a non-o based on marriage, currently on my second, and I did my last after they changed the staff out.

Every application in the two offices I have used required a bank statement on the day of application. Maybe you upset them from the start.

Never a new photo on the TM7 application form, I did 20x a few years ago and that will be enough for 10 years, unless I lose them again. Certainly not photos with the wife in, she's not applying for the visa. Never been asked for my wifes bank statement or a yellow house book.

4x photos is sufficient (one infront of the house number, one infront of front door, one in kitchen, one on sofa) I have seen some people posing with their wedding certificate which I find ridiculous.

They did ask my wife for some small things - the first house page of the rental shouldn't be signed by the owner, just the page with the owners name - that needed to be whitened out and copied again, I always supply them with a copy of every stamped page of my passport as fb posts have suggested they may need them, its easier to just scan, keep in on file and print them at home than argue and walk to the copy machine.

I am not doubting your post, but it's really strange - I used to use Hat Yai and they are nightmares, you would expect to write off a full day, with a couple of extra documents from the landlord and an 20 questions interrogation from an immigration officer. I thought KKC was really good, down at the bank at 8.00 am, immigration by 10:00, back home before 12:00. The whole thing is (was) a formality, pass them the papers, oblige them with a couple of visits to the copy machine and smile, I don't need to open my mouth, send the wife up the stairs in a month to pick up the stamp.

On 9/13/2023 at 3:54 PM, circa02 said:

Sounds like one in a bad mood then, hardly anyone has the yellow/pink book  as far as I know to the extent that many amphurs just aren't interested in doing them or you have to get silly amount of sponsors during working hours, I did have a mobile phone bill though to the house in my name that I included in the 120 pages along with wifes blue book,  no idea if that helped

No, they have been under pressure from above after the problem with some corrupt officers helping chinese 'businessmen' with visas hit the news.  

We go to an office whose applications are approved by Khon Kaen.  We had difficulty explaining the bank letter to the teller so called the imm office who told us to come to the office before we did anything so he could check our documents.  I have been doing extensions for 10 years and have it all off pat, never a problem.  In the officwe it was obvious there had been a reshuffle.  New front man, old one down the back.  This new guy was fussy, the pics werent right, wrong angle, more of the house, the house number must be solid ie made from steel or wood, map must show from our front door to the Imm office door, the bank letter was different from before and included what looked like what somebody else said, a statement.  A pain in the butt however we got the distinct feeling this guy was not being a pain but following orders, he couldnt have been more helpful.

Considering our experience and that of the OP I would strongly suggest anybody doing a visa renewal up KK way should ring their Imm office to check for any new requirements before going.

All the reasons above are exactly why I don’t do non-o marriage extensions any more. Too many hassles with irate officers that just want to make unnecessary problems for a handout. Already got my next trip booked and looking forward to it. In and out with ease on a non-o ME visa. Never any hassles, dirty looks or raising of voices to show how much power these a-holes think they have. 

• Haha 1

I did my retirement extension a week ago today at Khon Kaen.  A new lady IO.  She was neither friendly nor unfriendly, just efficiently did her job.  She checked each monthly payment on the bank statements, underlined and numbered each one.  When she got to 12 she stopped and started to put the appropriate extension stamps in my passport.  She was not interested in my yellow tabien baan, nor my wife's blue one, a cursory glance only.  Didn't ask for the source of my income, which the IO last year did. The receipt for the 1,900 baht she copied herself on a little Epson printer on her desk. 

When we had finished I asked her about the move to the new office.  She laughed in a derisory way and said "Maybe December".  A mutual wai and I was done and dusted in less than 20 minutes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, recom273 said:

4x photos is sufficient (one infront of the house number, one infront of front door, one in kitchen, one on sofa) I have seen some people posing with their wedding certificate which I find ridiculous.

The whole idea of producing the same photos year after year is ridiculous.

• Like 2

On 9/13/2023 at 3:07 PM, JCD said:

New photos on TM 7 with both wife and I in same pic.

You'll be OK if they come looking for you, the BMW Smart Car will not who to look for in the picture.

Similar run around to another posting in here where the guy applied for a "Retirement" extension, and was asked for details of his wife and why wasn't she here with him. To which he relied not married, OK on to next stupid request to make life difficult.

• Like 1

For someone that has done extensions for 25 years, seems you have no idea what was required.  It has been fairly simple (I do retirement extensions), and for a marriage extension, the requirements are very similar.  It almost sounds like you used an agent before this time.

You need the application for temporary stay in the kingdom TM7 for a marriage extension.  (I am surprised they would want you and your wife's pictures but . . . .)  You really needed to follow the instructions right on the application to fill it out (and attach a picture.)

1.  you need to provide evidence that you are still married.  (Need to go to the Amphur to get.)

2. even if you do the 400,000 bht, you need some type of statement from the bank.  AND, if it is a bank statement from BBL, then there is no way that a BBL branch can provide a 1-year statement.  they all have to come from the main office in Bangkok, costs 200 baht.  This is true since they need to know that you have kept at least a certain amount in the account as necessary throughout the year.

3.  You need a letter from the branch from which you are requesting the statement that they provide you a letter confirming that the account belongs to you and you alone, 100 bht

4. Besides providing a copy of the bankbook pages showing the last year's transactions, you need to get a copy of the last page of your bankbook showing the most current account valued (which should include at least 100 bht deposit on the date that you are requesting the extension) and have the bank stamp that copy.

5. you also need to provide evidence of where you current living whether it is a yellow book or in some specific case a blue book or a lease document.

6.  you will have to sign several documents at immigration that you acknowledge certain laws especially pertaining to overstays, etc.

I have probably forgotten something, but you should get the jist (oh 1,900 thb to pay them for the extension processing.)

PS.  For someone doing these extensions for 25 year's worth, I am very surprised at your lack of knowledge of what is required.

3 hours ago, fceligoj said:

For someone that has done extensions for 25 years, seems you have no idea what was required.  It has been fairly simple (I do retirement extensions), and for a marriage extension, the requirements are very similar.  It almost sounds like you used an agent before this time.

You need the application for temporary stay in the kingdom TM7 for a marriage extension.  (I am surprised they would want you and your wife's pictures but . . . .)  You really needed to follow the instructions right on the application to fill it out (and attach a picture.)

1.  you need to provide evidence that you are still married.  (Need to go to the Amphur to get.)

2. even if you do the 400,000 bht, you need some type of statement from the bank.  AND, if it is a bank statement from BBL, then there is no way that a BBL branch can provide a 1-year statement.  they all have to come from the main office in Bangkok, costs 200 baht.  This is true since they need to know that you have kept at least a certain amount in the account as necessary throughout the year.

3.  You need a letter from the branch from which you are requesting the statement that they provide you a letter confirming that the account belongs to you and you alone, 100 bht

4. Besides providing a copy of the bankbook pages showing the last year's transactions, you need to get a copy of the last page of your bankbook showing the most current account valued (which should include at least 100 bht deposit on the date that you are requesting the extension) and have the bank stamp that copy.

5. you also need to provide evidence of where you current living whether it is a yellow book or in some specific case a blue book or a lease document.

6.  you will have to sign several documents at immigration that you acknowledge certain laws especially pertaining to overstays, etc.

I have probably forgotten something, but you should get the jist (oh 1,900 thb to pay them for the extension processing.)

PS.  For someone doing these extensions for 25 year's worth, I am very surprised at your lack of knowledge of what is required.

It's obvious that you do retirement extensions as most of your comments relate to retirement not marriage, there are significant differences.

All extensions require a TM7.

1. Agreed, some offices require unrelated witnesses to attend to verify that the marriage exists, your wife should be with you and you will need copies of her Blue Book and probably her ID card.

2. Requirement is for 2 months before only, some also need proof for the "Under Consideration Period", there is no requirement for maintenance of funds for the whole year unlike retirement.

3. Agreed

4. It is a transaction not necessarily 100B deposit, I do a 1,900B withdrawal from ATM and get passbook updated before asking for letter & statement when bank opens.

5. TM30 satisfies that requirement, some offices want TM47 also or instead, it's a long time since I've been able to use yellow book.

6. Agreed

Also required for marriage are 4 or 6 photo's of you and your spouse inside and outside the house (including 1 showing house number).

Some pages of the submission will need to be signed by both of you some by either depending on what it is.

Before you ask I am currently on Retirement, prior to this I was on both B-Visa/extensions and marriage extensions.

A home visit is also required by most offices, sometimes requiring attendances of witnesses again.

Individual offices have individual requirements,

On 9/13/2023 at 3:07 PM, JCD said:

First thing, after getting bank letter this morning and updated bank book, she complained about no  "bank statement".  Never had such a thing from BBL, but she was adamant that we go back to the bank and get "statement", which, duly done, another half hour and another 100 baht, back to immigration

I have come to the conclusion that a secret edict went out from Immigration Bureau big-wigs to all offices a few months ago requiring bank statements to be now provided in support of all marriage and retirement extension of stay applications based on 400k or 800k in the bank, in addition to account confirmation letters and updated passbook copies as previously. I was similarly told to go away and obtain a 12-month bank statement when I applied for my latest retirement extension at Rayong a couple of months ago.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2023 at 10:32 AM, circa02 said:

Yeah seems tense at the moment but I dont think you ticked all the real boxes, the wife used Line (or possibly something else) to get the current list of requirements a few days before - each office has their own PDF of this i think, we attached this to the front of each signed 120 pages with tick marks next to each item - I think this aided our experience a little as in we had the checklist.

Can someone please PM me the requirements for the 1-year extension application for reason of Marriage from the Khon Kaen office?  Thanks in advance.

Would also be good to know if there are any EXTRA requirements for the very first 1-year extension of stay application (e.g. some Imm Offices in that case require that you bring a witness or that you provide a copy of the Certificate of Singleness when you did marry in Thailand). 

On 9/27/2023 at 6:16 PM, Red Phoenix said:

Can someone please post here the document with the requirements for the 1-year extension application for reason of Marriage from the Khon Kaen office?  Or alternatively PM to me? Thanks in advance.

Would also be good to know if there are any EXTRA requirements for the very first 1-year extension of stay application (e.g. some Imm Offices in that case require that you bring a witness or that you provide a copy of the Certificate of Singleness when you did marry in Thailand). 

I am sending the above request to all posters in the current thread, as one of you might have the requirements document as provided by the Khon Kaen office

@JCD @KhunBENQ @circa02 @Bangkok Barry @brianthainess @recom273 @ThaiFelix @khunjake @lungbing @nahkit @foreverlomsak @fceligoj @OJAS

Thanks in advance!

On 9/28/2023 at 7:38 PM, Red Phoenix said:

am sending the above request to all posters in the current thread

Was at KK immigration this morning.

One year extension with income statement.

Documents prechecked by interns.

25 min wait.

10 min at the counter.

Checklist marriage:

I got two sheets in Thai language. They don't have it in English ???? When I am back home I will scan it and either publish here or send by PM.

Translation is another matter.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Was at KK immigration this morning.

One year extension with income statement.

Documents prechecked by interns.

25 min wait.

10 min at the counter.

Checklist marriage:

I got two sheets in Thai language. They don't have it in English ???? When I am back home I will scan it and either publish here or send by PM.

Translation is another matter.

@KhunBENQ  Great! And thank you very much

You can simply make a clear photo of each page and post those pictures here (or PM them to me). 

With Google translate it takes seconds to generate an english translation from a Thai text of photo.  And I will then post them here as a service to you and other KhonKaen Marriage extension applicants.

Edited by Red Phoenix

6 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

You can simply make a clear photo of each page and post those pictures here (or PM them to me). 

I have put the scan in a separate topic in Thai language for now:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1308266-checklist-of-supporting-documents-for-marriage-extension/

This is the first of three sheets I got.

The other two are obviously just the original Thai version of the immigration order (explaining 40k, 400k, seasoning etc.). I will check this tomorrow and if it makes sense (new or different from what's known) will add it.

I reduced the scan to 1280 x 1761 pixel and it looks readable. If necessary I have the full size 600 dpi scan (5100 x 7015 pixel).

15 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I have put the scan in a separate topic in Thai language for now:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1308266-checklist-of-supporting-documents-for-marriage-extension/

This is the first of three sheets I got.

The other two are obviously just the original Thai version of the immigration order (explaining 40k, 400k, seasoning etc.). I will check this tomorrow and if it makes sense (new or different from what's known) will add it.

I reduced the scan to 1280 x 1761 pixel and it looks readable. If necessary I have the full size 600 dpi scan (5100 x 7015 pixel).

Attached the English version of the KhonKaen Marriage Extension requirements, as generated by Google translate from the Thai original as provided by KhunBENQ

Khon Kaen - Marriage Extension reqs - English version.jpg

On 9/14/2023 at 9:20 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

You miss the point. They are not needed for what the OP wanted, and the need was eradicated by a bribe - at an office where several officers were recently removed for corruption. I guess more still needs to be done there.

Yup, some immigration offices are corrupt and others are not. Its a lottery. The underlings usually reflect that attitude of the head honcho.

From the OP it seems that the officer dealing with him was just looking for money.  

• Thumbs Up 1