Thai education ministry ‘tablets’ a bright future: Bringing equality to classrooms

webfact

2 hours ago, seajae said:

just like last time they did this, the only ones that benefited were the ones that sold garbage tablets that were totally useless cheap rip offs at a huge profit and the ministers/higher ups that pocketed all the graft from buying them, seems to be the only way pheu thai can run govt,  by  getting graft the same way their leader did when he was in charge

That's right. At my school they were put straight into the store room never to be seen again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

He added that he was currently evaluating the total cost of the scheme

So they have no idea how much it will cost, but they've announced it anyway. No survey to see if it will be worth the cost (as they have no idea what the cost is). Not even a committee to examine the proposal. But they will do it because (you can fill in the blank of who will really benefit). And it isn't the kids.

• Thumbs Up 1

What a waste of limited resources in a system that has far more pressing needs... they need to pay for better teachers, improve the curriculum (away from rote learning), not to mention the shortage of new/quality textbooks and classrooms. And while your at it do something about all the 15-16 year olds who quit school after the 9th grade... make grades 10-12 (Matthayom Suksa 4-6) compulsory and free (or at least tuition minimal)... free tablets is a feel good gimmick in a system desperately broken

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

utter waste of good money. ten years ago i was teaching wehen they tried to implement this crap. problem is the curriculum is not designed for this and changing the curriculum will end up costing way more. the kids arew distracted enough as it is they don't need another toy.

they spend enough time on their phones now they will just spend most of their time doing nothing.

Carry on as normal and treat every one like mushrooms (in the dark). At 18 years old my wife's sister has not had any computer learning . Could not manage more than one day working at 7/11. What is her future looking like? Probably end up working in the rice fields, tapioca or sugar cane. Another one who has got 90% plus in her exams . But in reality she spends most of her school time doing useless essays. That's enough from me as I could go on a lot longer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

The Thai Education Ministry is set to revive a decade-old initiative, which was originally launched by a previous Pheu Thai government, to distribute a tablet computer to each student and teacher across the country. This initiative aims to promote equal educational opportunities.

The announcement was made yesterday by Education Minister Permpoon Chidchob and his deputy Surasak Phancharoenworakul, both members of the Bhumjaithai Party in the Pheu Thai-led coalition. During a gathering of ministry officials, their stated goal was to endorse good learning, with happiness.

Permpoon revealed that every student would be granted a tablet computer to lessen their expenses and diminish disparities in educational opportunities under the one student, one tablet scheme. He added that he was currently evaluating the total cost of the scheme, suggesting that if the current budget was not adequate, tablets could be obtained through borrowing or renting.

However, A previous Democrat Party MP, Suchatvee Suwansawat expressed his concern about the programme to the Bangkok Post. While he concurred with the use of modern technology to assist learning and minimise educational inequality, he was hesitant about the scheme.

by Atima Homtienton

Picture courtesy of Tony Education.

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-09-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Pheu Thai running the government wants to revive giving tablets to all school children and teachers... haha.. they must still have accounting on the profits gained from the last time they did this scheme..  perhaps this is how they plan to get the money to give all Thai 10000 baht. The tablets scheme last time was full of problems. Most of which the cost the government said they paid for and the equipment received did not balance out... then there was the problem that teachers has allowing kids to use them in the classrooms for actual school work.. let's not forget that not all families.. have the internet to use a tablet at home for school work.. but I guess new leadership men's developing new scams or using old scams they worked well in the past to generate extra income for the politicians. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

They can't even learn 1-10 in English

I have a friends daughter aged 15 who cannot tell the time in English, her father asked me to help.

She said she didn't understand English time, I said the clock is universal around the world. ie 12/24 hour time

I told her to think of the time in Thai and just convert the numbers to English..

the almost blank stare came back as she counted on her fingers one-to-eleven for eleven O'Clock.

Not quite true in Thailand. 9am can also be 3 in the morning and 8pm can be 2 in the evening.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 2baht said:

The definition of insanity, trying the same thing over again and expecting a different result!

who will be in charge of the purchase and who will be the supplier??? are the main questions as "brownies" will be changing hands

brownies definition == brown envelopes that sometimes come in other different colors

3 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Not sure this would actually harm the already essentially dead Thai education system?

Almost any activity, including playing games, might be better than the rote learning of the numbers 1 to 10.

Australian Edu put students in laptops etc etc and did so at a pre college stage which bypassed essential base learning they schould have had before being introduced to advanced technology.  The young people coming up into adult hood are largly devoid of the basics which includes , work ethics amongst a wider range of behavoural things, too much dependance on technology.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

I have a friends daughter aged 15 who cannot tell the time in English, her father asked me to help.

She said she didn't understand English time, I said the clock is universal around the world. ie 12/24 hour time

I told her to think of the time in Thai and just convert the numbers to English..

the almost blank stare came back as she counted on her fingers one-to-eleven for eleven O'Clock.

I have a nephew living with us after his mother dumped him on us to live overseas. He's been learning English for eight years and can't put a sentence together. Still, he was given his turn as top of the class in English one month.

And he has today off of school as it's closed for lessons as the director is leaving and the teachers are having a party. Having the party after school obviously never occurred to them. At his previous school, the director was murdered by his wife as she thought he was having an affair. He wasn't.

Thailand is ....... different.

• Haha 1

Yeah, another boondoggle. The school I worked at received a number of these useless tablets the first time they tried it. I KID YOU NOT - there was a picture reading exercise that showed a fat old foreigner at an ATM, and the point was for the student to enter the correct pin to receive money to give to a young Thai woman.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

utter waste of good money. ten years ago i was teaching wehen they tried to implement this crap. problem is the curriculum is not designed for this and changing the curriculum will end up costing way more. the kids arew distracted enough as it is they don't need another toy.

they spend enough time on their phones now they will just spend most of their time doing nothing.

That sounds like self fulfilling prophecy. 

This kind of thinking will not change anything. 

Let them try without your "experience"????

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Probably you have been a great help?????????????

4 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

The Thai Education Ministry is set to revive a decade-old initiative, which was originally launched by a previous Pheu Thai government, to distribute a tablet computer to each student and teacher across the country. This initiative aims to promote equal educational opportunities.

The announcement was made yesterday by Education Minister Permpoon Chidchob and his deputy Surasak Phancharoenworakul, both members of the Bhumjaithai Party in the Pheu Thai-led coalition. During a gathering of ministry officials, their stated goal was to endorse good learning, with happiness.

Permpoon revealed that every student would be granted a tablet computer to lessen their expenses and diminish disparities in educational opportunities under the one student, one tablet scheme. He added that he was currently evaluating the total cost of the scheme, suggesting that if the current budget was not adequate, tablets could be obtained through borrowing or renting.

However, A previous Democrat Party MP, Suchatvee Suwansawat expressed his concern about the programme to the Bangkok Post. While he concurred with the use of modern technology to assist learning and minimise educational inequality, he was hesitant about the scheme.

by Atima Homtienton

Picture courtesy of Tony Education.

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-09-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

my daughter tells me now already she don't want that tablet. she has Iphone, she can't be bothered with terrible quality tablet! many students think like that! maybe 10 years ago it worked, but not anymore...

better improve quality of teaching, or is this 'not done'...?

• Like 2

Given the fact, that most kids are glued to all sorts of phones and tablets already - it would not make a difference to them. The stuff they learn at school here is provenly substandard - to be polite - irrespective if administered in printed or electronic form. 

For argument's sake, uploading respective school applications would suffice and well, if not enough space, then throw out some of those useless game apps with which those children are wasting their playtime outside. 

But the money might not be in the apps but rather in the hardware and, surprise, surprise, the name Chidchob pops up. The sitting Education Minister Police General Permpoon Chidchob is lesser known than his father - the "Padrino" of Buriram Khun Chai Chidchob. His brothers are the uncrowned chief of Buriram, Bhumjaithai Party patriarch Newin Chidchob, the ruler of Buriram and Saksayam Chidchob, former Transport Minister. All of them interesting characters on the political chessboard of Thailand. 

This tablet business taps interesting tax payers resources while the problem is not the media but rather the content - me thinks! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, khunpeer said:

my daughter tells me now already she don't want that tablet. she has Iphone, she can't be bothered with terrible quality tablet! many students think like that! maybe 10 years ago it worked, but not anymore...

better improve quality of teaching, or is this 'not done'...?

Other daughters may not be so privileged to have a rich father like you. Anyway, she a bright girl to foresee the poor quality tablet which has not been issued. I agree that teaching need improvement. 

Edited by Eric Loh
wrong word
  • Like 1