Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

50 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

I can't speak for France or other countries, but the US has no requirement to "declare" foreign real estate holdings - only bank and financial accounts have to be reported. Any capital gains on sales of overseas property would have to be declared as income, but there is no Federal property tax.

Its exactly the same for France, only your banks, financials accounts and any foreign income.

This of course only if you still a french tax resident (witch offert more variety that Thailand as their is various possibility to be resident there even when living less than 180 day a year. Living more than 180 days without becoming tax resident is also an option as they take in account your main finnancial (where the money come from)  and familly (where they live) interest to decide if you should be considered a tax resident or not).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

The RD spokesman was not being very truthful when he claimed there was international pressure on Thailand to do this. No other countries tax overseas income earned years ago on a remittance basis AFAIK and taxing on a remittance basis is virtually unheard of. The pressure from OECD, particularly the US and UK has been to set minimum corporate tax rates to make it harder for companies to avoid tax by shifting their domiciles to low tax jurisdictions like Ireland and Luxemburg but it is not the same for individuals because they have to actually live in a place to become a tax resident and the US which exerts most of the pressure re corporate tax doesn’t care what Thailand does te personal  tax anyway because it taxes its citizens on a global basis. You won’t see countries like Singapore, HK and the gulf states suddenly taxing offshore personal income under international pressure. Yes, there is international to collaborate with Common Reporting Standards (CRS) and FATCA etc and provide information on financial accounts of foreigners in Thailand, which in the case of FATCA ThAiland only complied with under threat of being cut off from the US correspondence banking system and thus international USD transactions. But it is huge distortion to blame international pressure for what they have just done.

It seems to be the usual Thai government approach to assume that all Thai people are morons incapable of accessing any information in English from overseas and to blame foreigners for all nasty things they do themselves (remember the unwashed foreigners spreading COVID).

Well said that man !

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Something raised by a friend was the possibility of taxing international health insurance payouts in Thailand. If you claim for an operation in Thailand on your overseas insurance policy, will the remittance either to you directly or the hospital trigger off a tax demand due to income receive from overseas? Companies like AXA now use a Thai payment agent to make the payments to hospitals which would it even easier for the RD to track this “windfall” type of overseas income. 

And who is absorbing the shortfall if that happened? The hospital, the insurance company, no me.  Not even these people could be that stupid. Oh hang on they could call it an initiative to stimulate the Thai health insurance market.

Give all Thais a voucher for the first months cover ????

• Haha 1

If this goes ahead, how likely is it that the requirements for a Thai Citizenship application would change to include '3 years of Thai income tax paid on income from overseas'?

Probably a rhetorical question.

Edited by MartinL

1 minute ago, transam said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned here or elsewhere, but there is even more cr@p for some in the pipeline with a Barklays Bank account, unless you have 100,000 quid to stash............????

https://uk.yahoo.com/style/barclays-debank-british-expats-134809331.html

Or have £40. a month to pay for it. 

Was it Santander did this not long ago?

10 minutes ago, pluto_manibo said:

I think this might cause;

• Thai investors to not repatriate their funds
  • Foreigners to limit their time and spending in the country. More importantly forego any big expenditures(cars, surgeries, house purchase, medical expenses etc...)
  • Foreigners to abandon their applications for LTR or Elite visa(as has been testified on Reddit by a handful of people)
  • Real estate market to suffer

However, this has not been elaborated on and they might want to instill a sense of urgency in repatriating funds before the Tax  comes into effect, to boost the economy. I think this will discourage future investments and spending.

This is all 100% correct....

• Like 2

I am considering Malaysia and Philippines. Malaysia did something similar to what Thailand is planning now 2 years ago, but it was postponed until 2027 du to protests and negative impacts on immigration. Not sure how the situation is in the Phillipines .

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/22/2023 at 12:11 PM, thaibreaker said:

The percent you pay as a member of Folketrygden, called trygdeavgift, is not 7.4 percent for pensions. It is 5.1 percent.

This is not included in the zero tax graphics in the link. The tax is zero percent up to 250.000. The trygdeavgift of 5,1 percent is considered more as a membership of all the goods Norway offer.

I’m sorry to inform you that there is things about Folketrygden you have missed. 
It is correct that trygdeavgiften is 5,1% for retired people living in Norway, but when you move to Thailand you are imposed to register your address in Thailand to Folkeregisteret. Then, after 6 months you are no longer member of Folketrygden. Then you should no longer pay trygdeavgift, but tax Norway will continue to do so until you stop it. Trygdeavgiften they collect will give you no right in Folketrygden since you no longer live in Norway. 
Then there is a way to uphold membership, and that is to seek voluntary membership. If that is granted they will collect an extra 2,3% trygdeavgift in addition to the 5,1%, which give you a total of 7,4%.
If you have stayed in Thailand long time it is probably to late for voluntary membership. Since your tax deduction reduse your tax to 0, there is no trygdeavgift to reclame.

23 hours ago, thaibreaker said:

I never said I was living in Thailand. I wrote I was living in Norway.

Then you have confused me.  You stated that you would not pay tax to Thailand because it could not compete with your Norwegian tax. 
If you live in Norway you are not entitled to pay tax to Thailand, You should not act like living in Thailand. Or maybe you do live in Thailand, but not fullfilled your obligation to register your address in Thailand just to uphold your membership? I know many do, and so does nav.
Either way, you dont seems a serious and honest person, so I think we call that a day. Take care!