New Tax implementation on income from abroad, where would you relocate?

pluto_manibo

Not yet time to worry but what news is solid enough to be  panicking over?

Tax treaties, homes in second in and third counttries, full time travel, don't spend more than 6 months in any one jurisdiction. 

Did you invest more than you can afford to walk away from and incur a deadweight loss? SAD

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Philippines.... 

How is healthcare in the Philippines? Anything at the level of Bumrungrad in Cebu? As I wouldn't even get close to Manilla.

"This “brain drain” of healthcare workers is a serious problem for the Philippine healthcare system. In 2019, the country had approximately one doctor or nurse per 20,000 residents, which is not considered adequate to a population’s needs. "

Healthcare in the Philippines

Thailand has one doctor for every 1000 to 2000 residents, depending on sources. 

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Like 2

The scenario changes if you have a normal life with wife and family, pets, etc... Jumping around from country to country does not become a viable option. In the event of big purchases such as a new car, home repairs, a medical emergency outside the realms of your health insurance policy, etc....These would easily bring you into the 20-35% bracket(1 million-5 million) if funds were to be brought in from abroad.

Edited by pluto_manibo
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, VBer said:

I not so understand how they are going to implement tax on money taken from ATM. 200 baht for 20k transaction, 1% “tax”, I’m fine with it ????

And yet we used to complain about those 220 Baht too...:biggrin:

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, VBer said:

I not so understand how they are going to implement tax on money taken from ATM. 200 baht for 20k transaction, 1% “tax”, I’m fine with it ????

It would likely be our responsibility to self report income and file taxes annually. If they were not filed and paid it could be picked up on immigration records and trigger an audit.

• Thanks 1

Philippines’s that would also unfreeze my U.K. pension where I currently lose about £35 per week I would also rent out my beach house long term and earn a a nice amount of money for it I currently know of one person who would be happy to rent it from me and who is a long termer on the island 

• Like 2

Glad I never took the silly plunge I considered years ago on my early visits to the Land of Scams. I'm happy to do 6 months about as a tourist,  there's no better country on the planet than dear old Blighty especially during Spring and Summer. Thousands of so called expats there regret burning their bridges if the truth be known, and I'm not just talking about the cheap Charlie's 

It's depending of your income sources and where you come from, if relocation is a benefit – Thailand is however still a quite good place to live.

If your income is covered by a double taxation agreement (DTA), your situation is unchanged, as you already is liable for income tax in Thailand and covered by a DTA. This could for example be income from retirement pensions.

If your income comes from other sources than covered by a DTA you can "always look at the bright side of live", and be happy for the low tax rates in Thailand – of course "low" is relative to which country your comes from, but if it is from a high taxed state, even the top Thai taxation level of 35% for earnings over 4 million baht is laughingly low:cheesy: – in my home country we are taxed 52.07% of anything over any earnings more than equivalent to 2.9 million baht...????

In some countries you are not taxed of for example interest, certain fees, and capital gain when living in Thailand; so, bringing that earning into Thailand are now being taxed instead of being considered as tax-free savings if kept past a 31st December before transferred. That's of course bad, but not as bad as if staying home where my lowest tax rate would begin around 38%...:whistling:

On 9/21/2023 at 7:29 AM, pluto_manibo said:

The scenario changes if you have a normal life with wife and family, pets, etc... Jumping around from country to country does not become a viable option. In the event of big purchases such as a new car, home repairs, a medical emergency outside the realms of your health insurance policy, etc....These would easily bring you into the 20-35% bracket(1 million-5 million) if funds were to be brought in from abroad.

I think this is the problem for many of us. If rooted here with family, and retiring, and not wanting (or cannot afford) to lose 30% of your pension or other forms of foreign income, I guess one could live here 6 months (179 days) then spend the other half of the year moving between your home country (family and friends - 5 months) then a month on 'vacation' somewhere before returning to Thailand to repeat the process. Pretty expensive though - continuing to maintain the home in Thailand while moving around for 6 months. Works if you're rich, much less so if you're not.

• Like 1