Surge in Flu Cases Prompts Govt Action

webfact

image.jpeg

Health reports have indicated that the number of influenza patients tripled recently, with young children in schools identified as a high-risk group. To combat the surge, the Ministry of Public Health has ordered hospitals to prepare for a potential outbreak and has dispatched epidemiological teams to at-risk communities.

Public Health Minister Cholnan Srikaew said the latest data recorded 138,766 confirmed influenza cases. Despite a low fatality rate of only two recorded deaths, authorities are stepping up preparations across all relevant agencies.

The outbreak is predominantly of the A/H1N1 strain. Data from the Disease Control Department revealed that one school in Lamphun province had 101 students exhibiting influenza-like symptoms in a one-week period between late August and early September.

Out of five samples tested, four were confirmed as influenza type A. In response, epidemiological teams are focusing on schools, particularly in high-risk areas, and hospitals are gearing up to offer preventive flu vaccinations.

Source: NBT WORLD 2023-09-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Health reports have indicated that the number of influenza patients tripled recently, with young children in schools identified as a high-risk group. To combat the surge, the Ministry of Public Health has ordered hospitals to prepare for a potential outbreak and has dispatched epidemiological teams to at-risk communities.

So, Covid didn't eradicate 'the flu' after all. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

I don't remember my flu ever lasting that short time.

A typical 'Flu' infection for myself lasted about three days max (last case about 20 years ago)
My recent infection of a SARS-based "flu" called Covid lasted 60 hours.

I guess it depends on how robust your immune system is.

1 minute ago, connda said:

A typical 'Flu' infection for myself lasted about three days max (last case about 20 years ago)
My recent infection of a SARS-based "flu" called Covid lasted 60 hours.

I guess it depends on how robust your immune system is.

I think my last Flu was about 20 years ago too

7 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

My friend went to the hospital last week and was told it was Flu, 2 days in bed then up and about.

I don't remember my flu ever lasting that short time.

Only a lab test that confirms I've had or have influenza would convince me of what it is if I fully recovered after just 4 days.

Mrs diagnosed with flu early last week. 2 days later she did a RAT test and was covid positive. 2 days later I was covid positive. Our first time. I had heavy cold like symptoms but no cough and no sore throat which lasted for 3 days. She had same but cough also and lasted 4 days. 10 days later we are both negative and fine albeit a little worn out. Both vaccinated with covid and flu shots. 

Just for info.

• Haha 1

The Mrs & are are just getting over our 3 day flu; body aches, fever/chills, sore throat, cough, runny nose.  Easily treated at home with the standard over the counter pills. 

And here's something to rile up the anti-vaxers,  this bout wasn't as bad or lasted as long as previous times, that god we both got the covid vaccine...555.      

Edited by bbko
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, connda said:

So, Covid didn't eradicate 'the flu' after all. 

Who said that it would? ???? Totally different Martians. 

2 hours ago, bbko said:

And here's something to rile up the anti-vaxers,  this bout wasn't as bad or lasted as long as previous times, that god we both got the covid vaccine...555.      

Not an anti-vac, but again what’s that got to do with the price of fish? They are completely different viruses. ????

If you’d have had the flu vaccine then caught the flu at a later time, it would lessen the illness. 

5 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Not an anti-vac, but again what’s that got to do with the price of fish? They are completely different viruses. ????

If you’d have had the flu vaccine then caught the flu at a later time, it would lessen the illness. 

Yes they are different viruses, however having had one vaccine does slightly reduce the severity of the other illness, neither is totally preventive of the illness being vaccinated against.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

5 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Who said that it would? ???? Totally different Martians. 

Never had a FLU vaccine, last two times I had the FLU were in the year 2000 and 2017, that's a 17 year gap. The FLU i got in 2017 lasted less than 16 hours, and I felt like a million dollars afterwards. Either my immune system is on steroids, or someone is just enjoying stabbing us with useless vaccines. I did take the COVID vaccines, but that was mainly because I think some idiot in a lab let that one get loose, wasn't willing to take any chances.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 11:30 AM, Willy Wombat said:

Quick. Shut the nation down again.

Someone has a runny nose 

I used to get colds regularly, maybe 3-4 a year...... since Covid it hasn't been happening (touch wood)..... them vaccinations were great!