Biden administration announces additional $325 million in military aid to Ukraine

Social Media

48 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

True, that is probably the purpose of the war.  I can understand Russian paranoia to an extent. I mean, NATO was created to counter the USSR and the Warsaw Pact. Once the Soviet Union fell and the Pact dissolved, the raison d'etre for NATO was diminished. Yet, NATO continued to expand even as Russia was weakened.  Now I am not saying that there is an evil plot for NATO to attack Russia, but from their point of view, given their history of being invaded, I can see how they took NATO expansion as aggression. 

So give Russia a chunk of Ukraine as a buffer zone. That would secure their western border more or less. In turn, get assurances of the future territorial integrity of Ukraine and a specific promise to not go after NATO countries. Offer assistance with economic development to lure Russia away from the Chinese sphere of influence.  Long term, it is the only way.

Oh, be nice to the Russians.  Like when President George W. Bush peered into Putin's soul and President Barrack Obama offered the reset in relations.  What could go wrong with that?

Russia is now China's bitch.  Putin made it so.  That's not going to change.

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Thorgal said:

I agree if you consider ethnic Russian people from Donbas and Lugansk as defenders since 2014...

I consider them thugs sponsored by Putin to keep Ukraine unstable.

However if a legitimate, internationally monitored vote of all the residents of these regions prior to 2014 were held and these voters actually voted to become part of Russia I would reconsider.  What do you think the chances of that happening are?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, heybruce said:

So you want to let Russia keep the land that it stole.  I assume you also want to let Russia keep the tens of thousands of Ukrainian children it kidnapped as well.

Yes, if necessary.  Ukranian land and people are not worth the life of one NATO soldier, nor the risk of escalating into a wider conflict.  Sorry, but that is the way it is. Russia could do that, become an international pariah, and let the chips fall where they may. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Cory1848 said:

OK, so that’s where you’re coming from. A Ukrainian is less than human. How about this: we give the Ukrainians everything they need to chase the Russians off their soil, let Putin be hounded from office for his stupidity and failure, and let the chips fall where they may. I think, following this strategy, the chips may fall more favorably all around.

Not less than human, but not my problem   The Ukranians dont have the manpower to run the Russians off. Would you like NATO to solve that problem too? And let's say, for the sake of argument, that Putin gets "hounded from office". Great. Now what? Who will replace him- you think it will be someone reasonable and peaceful? Surely you aren't that naive.  

So, letting your chips fall would possibly lead to WW3 and a regime change to an even worse madman than Putin.  Sorry, but no thanks. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

From what I know, Ukraine is in a civil war which Russia supported with direct intervention while NATO supported with indirect intervention. But reality does not change Ukraine is in a civil war and this is a fact.

What could be wrong is that the conflict is spreading as it has already threatened Russia with Larov recently so we are at risk of a third world nuclear war.

The government of Ukraine lost the war that it could not win and continue to support it without seeking peace and global collective suicide.

Edited by BE88

1 hour ago, impulse said:

$325 million...

I wonder how many poor Ukrainian kids' lives that buys, to get tossed into the meat grinder.

Biden will fund the folly, down to the last Ukrainian.

Perhaps Biden should withhold aid to Ukrainian youths can be sent to the front lines without any weapons.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Perhaps Biden should withhold aid to Ukrainian youths can be sent to the front lines without any weapons.

Or perhaps Ukraine should stop sending old men (because the youths are mostly spent) to the front lines to die in an already lost cause.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Not only will Russia succeed in its invasion of Ukraine: Russia will see it as a sign of Western weakness and set their sights on their next victim. Maybe one of the Baltic states, or even Poland.
It will also embolden other countries to try to pull similar stunts. Like China invading Taiwan. So to all those rooting for a Republican win: be careful what you wish for.

I think you understand the danger. Like the domino effect expected following the invasion of South Vietnam, it looks necessary to defend Poland's - and in fact Europe's - eastern flank through military aid to Ukraine or the doors will be opened for further encroachment. And for America and Europe to hold back Russia while a potential front opens at Taiwan would cost more in the long term. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Russians have a dog in the fight. 

Last time I checked, the US border still ended at the western shore of the Atlantic.

Wrong on the geographics but we'll let that pass. Last tine I checked the Russian border was not in Ukraine.

• Thanks 1