How to deal with a chicken problem

Na Fan

18 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Agree,  find it difficult to understand why one would settle in a Thai  village, when he can't stand the sound of chicken and dogs.

I also agree.

You move into a village and suddenly expect them to change how they've lived for hundreds of years just to make you happy?

If you catch it, take it for a long drive and drop it off on the the side of the road somewhere.  

Don't kill it, and definitely don't eat it.  Somehow, those neighbors will find out, whether from your lack of eye contact, the pile of feathers in your trash, the smell of chicken soup in the air...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JTXR said:

Two issues here: 

1) Noise from neighbors' roosters in the morning.  Pretty much anywhere, if you live in a rural area you're gonna hear roosters.  Fact of life; live with it.

2) Escapee rooster in your kitchen.  It's your kitchen.  You have a perfect right to kill the thing and eat or bury it.  Neighbors just need to control their property better.

I live pratumak area of Pattaya , a few leftover houses from bygone era still have roosters and chickens among all the high story condos , they just don’t care waiting for land values to sky rocket then off to wherever 

5 hours ago, BE88 said:

An oven roast would be tastier

To be earnest, those chickens, is not worth the time ????

Tried a couple of the local chickens, and as said, not much to do with them, except make a delicious soup on it with all necessary ingredients and you want taste the chicken at all.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, daveAustin said:

If it's on your property, have its head off and eat it... preferably after cooking. If a big deal, speak to the poo yai baan politely with a nice bottle of chianti under your arm. ????

Lao khao, a large bottle.

7 hours ago, Na Fan said:

Some neighbors just outside of our village have chickens. And loud roosters. And they don't care.

So now recently, one of them, the loudest one, started escaping and showing up at our house at 5AM screaming around every 30 seconds.

Wife told them repeatedly, and they don't care.

Today wife went outside to chase the chicken away. Chicken had other ideas.

Wife outside. Chicken in the f'n kitchen. At 5:30AM.

Wife does them dishes thai style - in a huge pile. Yeah you can imagine how that turned out.

Jokes aside, this really isn't fun. It's not how I intend to spend my morning.

We caught the little rascal now. But what do we do?

Is there someone that can help here? I'd imagine we could call the cops and say we have no idea whose chicken this is, and they might take him to the BBQ?

Do we now need to disinfect the whole kitchen? Is TB still a thing?

Thais are so used to the noise that they don't even hear it. Solution, Introduce a noise that they hear'

I had , exactly the same problem with a neighbor a couple of years ago, 

For some reason the got a rooster which roamed their property free, and like yours, every morning it would come to our side of the property and would proudly and repeatedly proclaim to the world that indeed  he was a rooster. 

I politely talked to  the neighbor , told her that I understood the reason why they might need a rooster (fertilizes the eggs  and they get more chickens) but I explained that I also wanted to sleep, and have some peace and quiet during the day. Contrary to popular belief Roosters do not only call in the morning. 

I suggested that we can both achieve our goals (neighbors speak english) if They kept their rooster on the other side of their property, (we both have good size properties. 

This was done, for a few days and then the rooster was free again. 

I suspect this was the husband's idea, as the wife is very nice, He is a bit on an A-hole, and they are getting divorced, in fact she approached us with a proposal to buy their property and id we could settle on a reasonable price, we might just do it.

So since he did not want to keep his rooster  on his side of the property,  I got a very loud stereo system, went to the internet and found the most annoying music Greek Bouzouki music,  I could find.  and blast it all day on a loop.  I like Greek music but the music I found sounded like someone was tuning a Bouzouki all day.

The wife came to me asked me if I could keep the music down because her mom who was seak liked to take a nap in the afternoon. I told her that I also liked to take a nap at night. 

I felt bad for her mom who is also a very nice lady, but I needed some leverage. 

I also have smart electrical outlets and could turn the music on and off when i was not there. 

This went on for a couple of week and needles to say the rooster is gone , and as it look the husband will also be gone soon. Trouth be, I hope thework things out, because other than the rooster incident we do not have any other problems with them. 

Attached below is the music I used , you can set the YouTube preference to play on a loop all day. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Na Fan said:

We caught the little rascal now. But what do we do?

Open Google and search for "recipe cock au vin" or "recipe Coq a l'Orange", depending of your preferences...:thumbsup:

More seriously, talk to the neighbour or fence your land, so intruders cannot get inside your property.

LOL as young boy with 12 years of age we made some (stupid) fun with chickens.

We saked barley in strong brine and before use we rinsed it with clear water..

Neighbor's chicken went to the trench and drank water until they tripped over and drowned...

Not that I want to give you a hint, but we were kids that grew up countryside and rooster crowing was not a disturbance, it was the neighbor we didn't like at all.

He hated noisy kids playing, stealing his apples, cherries and strawberries, you know things that kids do usually...   

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, daveAustin said:

If it's on your property, have its head off and eat it... preferably after cooking. If a big deal, speak to the poo yai baan politely with a nice bottle of chianti under your arm. ????

. If a big deal, speak to the poo yai baan politely with a nice bottle of chianti under your arm....That's what I Did when my Neighbour Opposite had one of the F****** Nuisances,He Came & Told the Neighbour to Get Shut of it ( It Was Gone the next day ) But The Poo Yai never got Any Wine off me He's already a Pi**head Anyway.....Anyway that neighbour Moved & Rented his house out to a YoungISH Couple & They Brought 2 NOISY Dogs with them, So the NOISE is Back now they start Howling & Barking anytime from 2am  ( Anyone got a LARGE Burmese Python that needs Feeding ?? ) Saw the Pooyai Again but He said He Couldn't do Anything so it's looking like a visit to the Tessabarn for me.....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 747man said:

. If a big deal, speak to the poo yai baan politely with a nice bottle of chianti under your arm....That's what I Did when my Neighbour Opposite had one of the F****** Nuisances,He Came & Told the Neighbour to Get Shut of it ( It Was Gone the next day ) But The Poo Yai never got Any Wine off me He's already a Pi**head Anyway.....Anyway that neighbour Moved & Rented his house out to a YoungISH Couple & They Brought 2 NOISY Dogs with them, So the NOISE is Back now they start Howling & Barking anytime from 2am  ( Anyone got a LARGE Burmese Python that needs Feeding ?? ) Saw the Pooyai Again but He said He Couldn't do Anything so it's looking like a visit to the Tessabarn for me.....

Where you living? Rural village? This is normal everywhere in Thailand, and almost impossible to escape anywhere, except inside a foreigner gated community, or buy big enough land and build your dream house without neighbour's. 

I had a similar problem because a sh*t eating neighbor decided to start breeding chickens next door.  I warned him several times his chooks were coming in and destroying my herb garden. After three warnings I killed the rooster with a length of pvc pipe, weighed it, then paid him per kg compensation.

Why are expats so scared to stand up for themselves here?

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, khunPer said:

Open Google and search for "recipe cock au vin" or "recipe Coq a l'Orange", depending of your preferences...:thumbsup:

More seriously, talk to the neighbour or fence your land, so intruders cannot get inside your property.

And learn to duck?

6 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I had a similar problem because a sh*t eating neighbor decided to start breeding chickens next door.  I warned him several times his chooks were coming in and destroying my herb garden. After three warnings I killed the rooster with a length of pvc pipe, weighed it, then paid him per kg compensation.

Many aren't, including myself, but you need to be careful as there are many here that would shoot you for very little, and get off saying it was self defense. You can be firm, but cowards like to get even on the sly, and that's not a good thing if you're not in your home country.

• Like 1

A few years ago I lived in the center of Bangkok on the 6th floor of a condo surrounded by other high rise condos.  The security guards at the condo next door started keeping roosters (I don't know why...).  They woke me up every morning starting at around 4 am.  I complained to the management of their building.  Ignored.  I complained to the management of my building.  They patiently and condescendingly explained to me that Thai people like to hear roosters in the morning because it reminds them of living in the country.  

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, ricklev said:

A few years ago I lived in the center of Bangkok on the 6th floor of a condo surrounded by other high rise condos.  The security guards at the condo next door started keeping roosters (I don't know why...).  They woke me up every morning starting at around 4 am.  I complained to the management of their building.  Ignored.  I complained to the management of my building.  They patiently and condescendingly explained to me that Thai people like to hear roosters in the morning because it reminds them of living in the country.  

They are afraid of being alone. That’s why they need noise. Mornings are very quiet.

Edited by JimTripper

7 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Because there are many Thais who own guns, and we are not permitted to own them too.

If I get tired of listening to the chickens, dogs and cats in the village, I can always move back to my condo, and listen to the traffic instead.

Noise is omnipresent in Thailand, I ignore it.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I After three warnings I killed the rooster with a length of pvc pipe, weighed it, then paid him per kg compensation.

How many swings of the pipe did it take to get it. 5,6. 10 :cheesy:

They are nimble little buggers.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Because there are many Thais who own guns, and we are not permitted to own them too.

If I get tired of listening to the chickens, dogs and cats in the village, I can always move back to my condo, and listen to the traffic instead.

Noise is omnipresent in Thailand, I ignore it.

All of this nonense about fear of Thais with guns.  Just a pathetic barstool reason to be a coward and not stand up for yourself (and your family).

You have a far far greater chance of being killed by a Thai on the roads here.  I will take my chances protecting my life and lifestyle and keep standing up for myself.