Barclays Bank to close UK accounts for British expats

webfact

8 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Never tell a bank where you live use the account to withdraw/transfer or use the "ATM" card here maintain a UK address at all costs its not rocket science ????

Using an ATM card!! It is probably the most expensive way to transfer funds.

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Utter garbage! Being an expat using online banking from Thailand has beggar all to do with Brexit. I wish you remainers (lefties) would get over it and bow to the democratic will of the people.

Mate, calm down.

I am not a Brit.

I was surprised you voted to sanction yourself. Up to you.

5 hours ago, Geordieabroad said:

It's already happened, in April Barclays informed me i had till August 30th to take my balances to zero and close my accounts which i obviously did. A nice thank you from Barclays after 35 years of banking with them

I've been with RBS for over 60 years, and they refused me a small loan to do some repairs to my UK house because I am

not a UK resident!

Must be just coincidence that out of a list of about 15 UK banks in a fairly recent survey  they came BOTTOM as regards on line and in branch Customer Services? :-

Ranking
Starling Bank 81%
Monzo 81%
First direct 78%
Metro bank 72%
Nationwide 68%
Halifax 64%
Barclays 64%
Lloyds bank 61%
Bank of Scotland 60%
Santander 56%
Natwest 56%
HSBC UK 54%
The co-operative bank 53%
TSB 50%
Virgin Money 49%
Royal bank of Scotland 49%
Edited by sambum

"We will no longer be offering personal current or savings accounts to retail customers with addresses registered with us outside of the United Kingdom, subject to limited exceptions." So I wonder how many Non-Dom millionaire's accounts are being shut down? I was always told by my father (who was in the banking industry) that banking was a SERVICE industry. These days the banks are being run more like hedge funds.

9 hours ago, daveAustin said:

^^^ You would also need to use banking app behind a VPN and never use credit card if you went down that road. Have always told HSBC where I am since they suspended a card when used here in Thailand as safety measure. In regard to the OP, would suggest transferring to a real bank. ????

Knowing where you are is different than having an address in your home country.  Been here 12 years have an address in Canada the bank has my Thai phone number and actually uses it for OTP.  

When I call they used to ask how much longer i was going to be out of the country.

Just get a PO Box 

3 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

UK's economy is no worse than the rest of Europe. Germany, Holland, Greece and Ireland are all  currently in recession but don't let that get in the way of your remoaner obsession.

Canada is the same banks want a Canadian address or will close the account.  I also think this applies to some american banks but not positive

36 minutes ago, transam said:

May I point out that he is an Australian baiter on here, probably knows nothing about Brexit, though probably knows a lot about goat herding............????...................????

though probably knows a lot about goat herding.....Or even Sheep SH***ing ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

.  I also think this applies to some american banks but not positive

Negative. 
American bank don't care where an American lives, but as long as there is a valid US address. I had been told that if I change my address to Thailand then I have to close my accounts. 

7 minutes ago, 747man said:

I've been with The Halifax since 1987 The Bank KNOWS I Live in Thailand so when I Read this Story I Phoned them as my PITTANCE of a Pension is paid into my Account and asked a " Human Being " were there any plans for them to do the same even though my Balance is Very LOW at times,The Person told me NO They don't Have any plans to close any Ex-Pats Accountds as long as the account stays " ACTIVE "....

The person you asked is just a cog in the wheel, better to have a UK address

6 hours ago, Goat said:

Probably a result of the Brexit.

I see the economy is tanking similar to Russia's.

England the only country in history where the people actually voted to have sanctions placed on themselves.

I believe that you’re right. Several months ago my Pension provider wrote to me telling me as I live abroad they are no longer allowing the services of my Financial Advisor of which I had already invested £3,000 for his continued service, They decline to explain their reasons.

Barclays called me in July to tell me they would close the account in August.

They told me a string of lies: 1. They had sent me 2 letters. I have not received either; the last one I had from them was well over a year before on another matter. 2. A copy of the letters would be on their app; they were not. 3. The account was being closed because of Brexit and they didn't want to register in each EU country; I pointed out I was not in the EU. 4. They would contact me again in August to explain what to do; they did not.

They sent an email on 12 Sept to say that my latest bank statement was available on the app. I could not log in. When I phoned them they said that they closed the account 0n 8 Sept.

To download the claim form one needs to log into the app. What a useless bunch of idiots.

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, oldestswinger said:

I should also mention that Barclays actually only will provide services for UK residents and not simply for a UK address and intimated that they will be checking further if they suspect someone is not resident.

Plenty of other UK banks to choose from.  

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Red Forever said:

And we will be back in 10 years.

Funny innit how the Quitters keep banging on about democracy.

We in UK elect our government at General Elections every 5 years.

If we see that this elected government are not up to the job then we have a chance to kick them out after said 5 year term.

The traitorous Quitters don't mention this in their incessant crying about how we proud Rejoiners point to the myriad facts that the whole Brexit thing is a disaster. They've had 7 years to prove us wrong but all they (Quitters) have to cling to is the haunted pencil Smugg on record as saying "From day one we will have cheaper clothes, footwear and food".

Suck it up Quitters. You've had your day.

Think you will find it,s nearly 3 years....not 7