Palm Sugar: Thailand’s More Delicious Alternative to Refined Sugar

snoop1130

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Not sure if you are just joking or are honestly ignorant to how unhealthy refined sugar is for the human body. Maybe you consume too much, hence the "too lazy" status.

Nah, it was sarcasm. 

As there are several folks on here constantly claiming that refined sugar is good for you. 

Sorry, stupid joke. I was tired when i posted i guess.

My real opinion is use healthy alternatives to refined sugar when possible, like this here in the OP. Even though it will cost a lot more, it's worth it. 

If you can find some good quality honey, go for it.

And also eat some fruit to curb sugar cravings. 

Here's one doctor's opinion. Sugar damages collagen and affects every organ in the body. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sugar sugar sugar ... it's still a sugar, and moderation is best.

True palm sugar does seem to be a better choice.  Natural sugar next in line.  White sugar, a notch or few below, since lacking most nutrients.

I don't use enough to be concerned about any.  Seems a bit pricy to me, and how to know if you're getting the real thing.

I even stopped adding sugar to my morning coffee as changed the coffee/water ratio, so not bitter at all.  Find myself refraining from any added sugar at home, and save that joy for my pastry & ice cream stops.

3 scoops of Swensen's yesterday, so enough sugar for this week.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

I think as brown sugar has more natural taste you'll maybe use less of it. Also I don't know how many calories per gramme in white vs. brown.

image.png.a21d33c8713385b5c97267a87652c8c0.png

source

Calories aren't really the issue, unless you're eating a lot.  (1 tsp = 4.2gr)

image.png.f8e806dd888cae052636737bbcbee94d.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

White sugar 25 baht a kg, palm sugar 200 baht a kg, can't see it catching on, but interesting post about it.

I eat lots of sugar every day, smash it in during exercise and in smoothies, makes drinks taste better, lowers cortisol and don't forget dopamine effect

Could be the reason you’re fat. Start working out and stop eating so much sugar.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

if you have a weakness for ice cream, consider getting an ice cream machine and making your own from scratch. 

I have one, and does make excellent ice cream, especially chocolate.  But without the 'additives' and low temp freezer, the consistency/smoothness is hard to get, unless you let it thaw a bit before serving.

That's always uneven, except for the first servings, before it freezes solid.

Swensen's is quite good, and may even be cheaper, with member card.  We hit it every other week for usually 2 scoops each, on Tuesday's 2 for 1 member discount.  Wife gave up 1 of hers yesterday ????

Actually healthier for me, as if have at the house, hard to pass by the frig without taking a scoop.  Fruits are hard to add, and seem to crystalize too much.  But add pie;  apple or pumpkin worked out really good.   Something Swensen's doesn't offer.   Do have Blueberry or Strawberry Cheesecake which is good, and occasionally get some pieced of pie crust.

I think I ate more when I made my own.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

What ive red about sugar is, sugar is sugar. POINT

White because it is refined. Brown now as people think that one is more healthy.

Nope, just the same. Only price can differ due to "green, bio" status.

It should be cheaper as refine isnt there.

Brown it costs more? pass.

Same as eggs, brown white, it is an egg and no differences.

Color in washing powders, doesnt make sense, it has no part in washing.

Could be left out and saves a lot of color ingredients, which you only throw away.

Coffee filters are white, why? They are bleached, totally unnecessary.

Normally they would be brown. Have no problem with brown filter,used it for years.

However now my producer of filters has changed to white?!

Probably then to attract more customers who wants white, as they have been long time white.

I red about it and was fine with my brownies. However dont feel good now with whites, as I know they are bleached. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/26/2023 at 6:52 PM, bob smith said:

powdered brown sugar cane is natural, ie nothing added to it, it hasn't been concentrated and no extra chemicals added.

its not rocket science. 

So what is added to white sugar please?

On 9/27/2023 at 4:47 PM, save the frogs said:

if you have a weakness for ice cream, consider getting an ice cream machine and making your own from scratch. 

Heavens, a few weeks ago we had a long thread on making one's own yoghurt. My image of the Expats in Thailand is shifting fast! 

10 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

what image did you have before and what's your image now? 

Mongers in girly bars drinking beer and fraternizing with the girls.... now I see old men in the kitchen wearing aprons and faffing about with milk and sugar!

• Haha 1

I am diabetic but do not like to use artificial sweetener therefore I use low G I coconut blossom sugar (sap from the flower). The brand I buy is quite expensive compared to cane sugar but a 1kg tub lasts a very long time and has negligible coconut taste and is very good in coffee and to use in baking.