New public health minister walks back ‘recreational’ cannabis

webfact

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Loss of memory. Loss of ambition. 

What are the side effects of alcohol? Cirrhosis of the liver. Heart problems. Lung issues. Brain damage. Killing people on the roads. Shall I go on? 

Are you claiming that happens to everybody who drinks alcohol, or only the people who over indulge?

• Confused 1

At the moment its fairly easy to get a prescription, some of the online shops have inhouse doctor though they tend to prescribe the high cost oils, 10 min chat over the phone and pay your money and get a prescription.

There are likely other doctors who will give out prescriptions just as easy as it is to get a medical certificate for your driving license. As the saying goes, happiness is the best medicine, cannabis makes you happy therefore all general usage is medicinal. 

So there's your locals and expats no change, it could with a bit of tweaking also filter out kids and maybe a few cases that really should not have access and that fits some of the concerns.

The general tourist market might then be the main one impacted, they are the ones paying high prices currently so prices could come down.

26 minutes ago, Bangel72 said:

At the moment its fairly easy to get a prescription, some of the online shops have inhouse doctor though they tend to prescribe the high cost oils, 10 min chat over the phone and pay your money and get a prescription.

A prescription for what, exactly?

We're talking about Cannabis Flower with more than 0.2 % THC. That is unlikely to become legal (again, assuming it is re-criminalized) for medical purposes. Yes, I know many are hoping the medical market launches in the same form as in in the U.S., but that won't happen here.

Yes, I'll stipulate that the extracts (oils) with less than 0.2 % THC (mostly CBD) is uncontrolled, and available everywhere. 

Currently the only legal medical solutions come from DTAM. And there are very few diagnoses which call for Cannabis as an approved treatment (Cancer, palliative/end of life, epileptic seizures).

Handing out medical cards, and prescriptions for THC Flower is just not going to happen. It'll be "out of control", again.

And no Doctor here is going to prescribe a controlled substance that needs to be smoked.

Caveat: I was wrong about the June 9, 2022 decriminalization, so I may well be wrong again.

And yes, the larger shops are setting up small co-located medical offices, with a wide list of ailments listed, in hopes that the medical market is eventually allowed.

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Anything in moderation is better than in excess. Many doctors claim anything over 2 drinks at one time, more than four times a week, can have dire consequences for one's health. You be the judge.

Obviously moderation is preferable to excess, but as usual government guidelines are always going to be set on the low side. 2 small beers 4 times a week is not "moderate" alcohol consumption, it is negligible alcohol consumption, probably wouldn't even  put one over the drink driving limit !  

The advisory limits are obviously a compromise, designed to appease over zealous  doctors who really would prefer zero consumption, but the reality is that the limits are set so ridiculously low, that no normal person takes any notice,  They should be, and generally are disregarded by most people, 

What sort of person follows advice from "the government" ?  

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

At 79 years old I have judged myself and I quit drinking alcohol 3 years ago after 60 years consuming it. I thought it was about time to give my body a chance to recover.

In my last couple of years I was drinking between 3 and 4 x 750 ml bottles of Hong Thong a week and I figured that was a bit much.

Now I drink Stroh 80 proof rum, coke and ice. 1 glass every New Years Eve.

doctors would class that as "binge drinking"

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

How big's the glass?

Probably about a half pint size and it is mostly ice and coke.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=80+proof+alcohol+stroh+80&sca_esv=569124370&sxsrf=AM9HkKm9LQLpvjyy5bNJCPtNU5krEsj7zA%3A1695901105582&ei=sWUVZc6PI6vjseMPxLKTqAo&oq=80+proof+alcohol+Stroh&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiFjgwIHByb29mIGFsY29ob2wgU3Ryb2gqAggBMgUQIRigATIFECEYoAFIoUtQjAhYlzhwAXgBkAEAmAGFAaABiAWqAQMxLjW4AQHIAQD4AQHCAgoQABhHGNYEGLADwgIKEAAYigUYsAMYQ8ICDhAAGOQCGNYEGLAD2AEBwgIWEC4YigUYxwEY0QMYyAMYsAMYQ9gBAsICEBAuGIoFGMgDGLADGEPYAQLCAgUQABiABMICChAAGIAEGBQYhwLCAgYQABgWGB7CAggQABgWGB4YD8ICCBAAGIoFGIYD4gMEGAAgQYgGAZAGE7oGBggBEAEYCboGBggCEAEYCA&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

STROH 80 is an icon of Austrian spirits and is tightly bound to the culinary and baking traditions of Austria. What is STROH 80 used in? In pastries, cakes, and desserts, STROH 80 reveals its unique aroma, which has come to define Austrian culinary taste. Moreover, STROH 80 also adds a special touch to hot beverages.

How much alcohol does Stroh 80 have?
Stroh Stroh 80 - Luxurious Drinks B.V.
80 %
Stroh 80 is very nice Rum from Austria with an alcohol content of 80 % Volume 0,7 Liter.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

And on the other hand it might not

If that "comprehensive" list of negative effects was even half true, then people would just not be smoking cannabis.

Yet even with the plethora of similar negative information that you, have diligently sourced from all corners  the internet, and after nearly 100 years of negative propaganda from  the USA inspired war on cannabis people are still smoking aren't they. 

This is despite the absence of any comparable amount of information promoting or advocating the use of cannabis

Do you ever get the feeling that its you against the rest of the world?  I think there's a name for that condition. 

I think there’s a name for your condition …

deluded

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

They are called “Law Abiding Citizens “

no they are the people who abide by the law, I asked about those who take advice, there is a difference. (they are called sheep) Were you really a magistrate?

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

And what name should we give to the condition that affects people, causing them  to wish to impose their  views on the rest of society, and restrict the choices available to other  adults,based on their illusion of possessing  superior knowledge.

A condition so serious that it causes its sufferers to devote a large proportion of their free time to scouring the internet desperately searching for anything that reinforces their own baseless prejudices regarding cannabis and then deliberately targeting pro cannabis threads in which to re post that rubbish, in effect nothing more than trolling

Illusion, scouring, desperately, baseless, targeting, rubbish, trolling

Are you incapable of putting forward your arguments without the support of real facts, instead resorting to egregious superlatives as if that makes your argument more convincing?

”deliberately targeting pro cannabis threads” please tell me how a thread about walking back recreational cannabis use is pro cannabis?

I live in the real world, you should try it and following government advice might help you too, as might believing research by respected scientific bodies.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/27/2023 at 10:31 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Recreational use was never intended, Anutin made that perfectly clear in June 2022.

Weed shop proliferation is sheer stupidity, they knew they were chancing their arm and now they will go bust.

It was a political comproomise. Anutin thought he could get all the stoners to vote for him. Prayut needed his seats in Parliament so did a deal to decriminalize it. If they had not done so Anutin's party would have been wiped out at the last election. The last government was in such a hurry to get the political gain they decriminalized it with no proper plan or legislation. I doubt Anutin truly  cares whether it is therapeutic or not. It is all just political. 

Many moons ago I would go enjoy Pai... The locals , tribes people there would sell you opium, weed. Then the RTP would come in and extort you. I used to see cops with the locals that sold the opium. They would wait with them until the transaction was made then radio down the road to the police. 

Business as usual.

If in Thailand just don't do drugs IMO.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

A prescription for what, exactly?

We're talking about Cannabis Flower with more than 0.2 % THC. That is unlikely to become legal (again, assuming it is re-criminalized) for medical purposes. Yes, I know many are hoping the medical market launches in the same form as in in the U.S., but that won't happen here.

Yes, I'll stipulate that the extracts (oils) with less than 0.2 % THC (mostly CBD) is uncontrolled, and available everywhere. 

Currently the only legal medical solutions come from DTAM. And there are very few diagnoses which call for Cannabis as an approved treatment (Cancer, palliative/end of life, epileptic seizures).

Handing out medical cards, and prescriptions for THC Flower is just not going to happen. It'll be "out of control", again.

And no Doctor here is going to prescribe a controlled substance that needs to be smoked.

Caveat: I was wrong about the June 9, 2022 decriminalization, so I may well be wrong again.

And yes, the larger shops are setting up small co-located medical offices, with a wide list of ailments listed, in hopes that the medical market is eventually allowed.

It will be interesting, a million plants given out so people can grow their own medicine but you may be correct with the thc element either way it will be hard to police.  There are different ailment lists out currently, "cannabis for thailand" seems also to be government linked and maybe its pushing in the way of cbd oil but their list of ailments is very long, including pain, hemorrhoid's, menstrual cramp, inflammation, high blood pressure and even migraines make their list of approved medical condition. Guess we'll just need to enjoy self prescribing while it lasts 

•  

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, JayClay said:

So you want to disuade people from drinking booze because they become horrible? Then you want to take away an alternative to booze because it makes them "zombies or jerks"?

I would argue that booze is more likely to make somebody act like a jerk. And to me a zombie is far more preferable than a horrible jerk. So what exactly is the justification for banning weed on the basis that people act shirtty when drinking? I'm really struggling to follow the logic.

Unless you just like banning any drug that people enjoy. In which case I hope caffeine is on your list of targets?

If you get caught with drug possession pal, you cannot claim you were not warned.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, JayClay said:

So you want to disuade people from drinking booze because they become horrible? Then you want to take away an alternative to booze because it makes them "zombies or jerks"?

I would argue that booze is more likely to make somebody act like a jerk. And to me a zombie is far more preferable than a horrible jerk. So what exactly is the justification for banning weed on the basis that people act shirtty when drinking? I'm really struggling to follow the logic.

Unless you just like banning any drug that people enjoy. In which case I hope caffeine is on your list of targets?

5 hours ago, Sigmund said:

If you get caught with drug possession pal, you cannot claim you were not warned.

...did you quote the wrong person...?

23 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

We got your drift ... you don't like rec. weed.  Move on and let it go you are part of a small minority spouting your ignorant views.

Several of the shops I know have already got a Med. Dr onboard and display their medical certificate.  The shop owners saw this coming before this new gov and got ready for.  If the law passes then they will just have to pay the RTP and will continue to sell recreational or give a medical prescription on-site before selling their product.

You seem to be very rude to those whose opinions differ. Weed shop owners displaying medical certificates is as comical as the rub and tug venues displaying their Health Massage Signs......

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/27/2023 at 8:16 AM, JBChiangRai said:

Yet he said in June 2022 as he legalised it...

"Thai Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said he expected legal cannabis production to boost the economy but cautioned that recreational use of the drug remains illegal.

“It’s a no,” said Anutin, who is also a deputy prime minister. “We still have regulations under the law that control the consumption, smoking or use of cannabis products in non-productive ways.”"

Watch what they do not what they say