Thailand Wrestles with the Ripple Effects of Cannabis Decriminalisation

webfact

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Yes, and no. I really do not give a hoot if you want to use it, I do not use it myself. My issue is the smell, after two years stuck in Blackpool UK, I felt sick most if the time as the populace stunk of it. So, If you want to do it up a mountain or 100 mt downwind of me then go ahead, its your lungs.

Cannabis is illegal in the UK.

So the suggestion that of the populace still stunk of it (slight exaggeration I think), kind of highlights how stupid it would be to make it illegal in Thailand again. 

I've never slept so well as I have the past few months...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, wombat said:

You rang?

Screenshot_20231003-070559_Gallery.jpg

actually now that I see that picture maybe they were right. Look at the nice clothes those people have on compared to the sweatpants and oversized t-shirt the average American is wearing today (because they're fat slobs). Those people probably didn't say <deleted> and <deleted> 5 times in every sentence either.  In every major American city there are people completely destroyed on drugs dying a slow death living on the streets.

Not saying it was weed but whatever bad things they thought were going to happen clearly already did.

• Confused 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

Some people enjoy cannabis, some dont. Its that simple

Not if at the same time the consumption of Chang and Singha deteriorates .....and the pressure of their equally "conservative, unelected" contemporaries next door in Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Indonesia, Burma, etc. are up the trees raving against it as their youth are rather quietly demanding same. After all this government is all about business first at whatever cost. And actually regulating and detailing a new law is un-Thai, that would mean committing and not leaving things to interpretation, so even the plod are loosing out. So no, it isn't that simple......................yes, could be.

Cannabis flower was decriminalized with the stroke of a pen and a Royally Gazetted Order.

It can be re-criminalized equally easily, within a day or two, by the Minister of Public Health Cholnan Srikaew. 

If Cannabis is such a threat then it would be criminal NOT to put it back on the Narcotics lists, and set about arresting the hundreds of thousands of people growing (with a Government-issued license), selling (with a Government-issued license) and consuming Cannabis.

Clearly no one wants to admit having been perceived to have made a gigantic mistake de-criminalizing Cannabis, and there is no real will to do so. Hence things will continue as is until Parliament makes progress. Some say that may be a year (including an amnesty period) away.

It does give the new government something to talk about.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Dickie Dee said:

Cannabis is a medicinal plant and so much more.  Fields of male HEMP plants make safe and sustainable healthy products such as clothes, ropes and even construction material. The ancient plant has  calm nerves in older people since the 1700’s. The problem is tobacco, alcohol, pharmaceuticals, vaping products that are not safe. 

You’re kidding right? Nothing on its devastating effects particularly on youths? Benefits don’t outweigh adverse effects I’m afraid. 

• Confused 6
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, odanny said:

Factor in the money states make from high taxes

IMO they could do more here on the tax/revenue front than just 7% VAT. An additional 5% tax on Cannabis would be reasonable, and maybe direct that towards drug (methamphetamine/ice) treatment programs.

The tax in my State (Massachusetts) is 20% ALL IN. 15% goes to the State, while 5% goes to the city/town where the sale takes place. It's a long way from the Blue Laws we used to have: dry towns, no alcohol sales on Sunday. More tax is taken from Cannabis than alcohol now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, paddypower said:

Pattaya News - similar to '' The Bangkok Post - current news'' :you will find both in the thesaurus, right under ''oxymoron''.

You sound as impotent as the Aussie dude who I responded to. For all your bluster there's nothing your can do about the syndication agreement that the big Cheese has with the other news outlets. 

Man up and buy the website if you really feel that strongly about it.

There are probably more cannabis shops than 7 eleven in Phuket. Most seem devoid of customers and economics will cull them if the government doesn't. I think most trade is in the bars. Personally, I don't touch the stuff and like many others I dislike the smell. I won't stay long and spend money in a place (bar or restaurant) when I can smell a joint(s) and I am not alone ... my custom quickly goes elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

well nothing except that, just like alcohol with its "devastating effects"    on youths ,, under 18's are not legally allowed to buy it   

Your "risk assessment" however is spot on , the benefits, of whatever it is you are referring to (presumably legalisation)   cannot never outweigh any adverse effects for you, indeed the two will always be in perfect balance,  because   as an obvious "none user"  the legal status of cannabis is of no consequence, it has no benefits for you, neither does it have any ill effects  so no need to be "afraid" of anything

If I didn't smoke cannabis I really would not have the slightest inclination to post on these cannabis threads, in the same way that I don't waste my time repeatedly  commenting negatively  on other threads regarding activities indulged in by other adults that I don't agree with. 

Why do the anti cannabis brigade see  any cannabis related  thread on this website as an opportunity  to spout their tired old rhetoric?  One could be forgiven for thinking it was just a form of "trolling"  which is, I believe, a form of antagonistic argumentative behaviour normally exhibited by teenage girls on social media.

For myself, as long as all statements are factually correct, I have no problem.  Just don't say it's safe, non-addictive and doesn't trigger mental illness.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, buriram39 said:

What government 'swept into power'. A bit of reporting license here I think.

Depends on how they are defining 'swept' I suppose. Its certainly not the normal definition I would have thought. 

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Yes, and no. I really do not give a hoot if you want to use it, I do not use it myself. My issue is the smell, after two years stuck in Blackpool UK, I felt sick most if the time as the populace stunk of it. So, If you want to do it up a mountain or 100 mt downwind of me then go ahead, its your lungs.

Agree, provided you do your garlic cooking up the  same mountain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, nglodnig said:

It is ILLEGAL for under eighteenyear olds to buy alcohol and tobacco. Why is it so difficult to enforce this law for cannabis so adults can make their own mind up?

The legal age to buy/drink alcohol in Thailand is 20.