Getting permission for a long term stay for my 95 year old parent.

2 hours ago, jippytum said:

You can not obtain an non o incorrectly referred to as a  retirement visa in your home country. 

I'm not sure I understand Jipputum. I came in on a non-O visa 8 years ago. (I had a Thai wife if that makes a difference) After 90 days I extended for a year based on retirement. I have extended each year afterwards based on retirement. Are you referring to something else?

There is a visa known as a 'Dependent's Visa' and as far as I can tell there's no financial requirements. That would make sense of course as the applicant is dependent on someone else. Parent on son in your case. 

have a look at this web site.

https://magnacarta.co.th/home/thailand-corporate-business/visa-services/thailand-dependent-visa/

Edited by Moonlover
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Hence the last statement. It would, however lessen the requirements for trips to the IO and the need for annual spending. :wai:

Just sometimes people I have on ignore I opt to read their post.

Maybe I was wrong.

So I read your previous 2 posts suggesting PE visa for 95 year old.

Get real ...most foolish suggestion 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, placeholder said:

How does that work? I'm assuming that I'm going to have to provide some proof of means  to pay for medical care since I suspect the Thai govt doesn't want to end up being stuck with the burden of medical expenses.

Knowing what type of one-year extension of stay, if any, you have would help in giving you useful advice.

11 hours ago, jippytum said:

You can not obtain an non o incorrectly referred to as a  retirement visa in your home country. 

You can in the United States, I presume the same in many other countries. It only gives you the initial 90 day permission to stay on entry.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, jippytum said:

Well, the official name would probably be be "Non-immigrant visa category O for the purpose of travelling to Thailand for the reason of retirement". Calling it a "retirement visa" would seem an acceptable and comprehensible abbreviation.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, CecilM said:

You’ll have to get a 1-year visa & do yearly renewals. 

A "1-year visa", ie a visa for travel to Thailand within one year from its date of issue, would have to be a multiple-entry non-O visa, which the OP's father does not need.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Maestro said:

The web page to which you have given a link is of little use because it uses "visa" and "extension or stay" interchangeably to mean the same thing. Quite useless, really.

Do you have any, more helpful suggestions for the O/P?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Maestro said:

A "1-year visa", ie a visa for travel to Thailand within one year from its date of issue, would have to be a multiple-entry non-O visa, which the OP's father does not need.

Not entirely true. A Retirement visa is also one year. 
There is no long term visa for Thailand (at least none that applies to the OP).

46 minutes ago, CecilM said:

Of course there is.

Retirement Visa.

Marriage Visa.

Both are one-year Non-O visas. 

A Multi Entry Non O Visa is valid for 12 months from date of issue and gives multiple stays of up to 90 days each entry.

A maximum of 15 months stay can be obtained if used correctly.

This Visa can be obtained for a multitude of reasons including Marriage to a Thai National or Retirement if over 50.

Edited by Lite Beer
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, CecilM said:

Not entirely true. A Retirement visa is also one year. 
There is no long term visa for Thailand (at least none that applies to the OP).

The Non O-A (long stay) visa is the only visa that can somewhat accurately be described as a one-year retirement visa. It is most definitely not recommended for the OP.

The Non O visa as a dependant (giving an initial 90-day stay) followed by a one year extension of the initial permission to stay at immigration, followed by annual extensions has already been suggested and seems appropriate. Assuming visits to the Immigration office are to be avoided, and the elderly parent will not be in a care home, it might be worth employing an agent to simplify matters (though a relative should be able to arrange matters at most immigration offices without an agent's help).

While (currently) no health insurance is required, it is prudent to have plans for how medical expenses will be managed. Most forms of medical treatment will not be provided without proof of the ability to pay.

• Thumbs Up 1