Open Sesame! Thai government to review operating hours

snoop1130

8757031849_961dca480d_k.jpg

Not that closing hours have been rigidly enforced much in the past BUT the new government say they are going to review them anyway. Which is code for “making closing times later”.

The Thai PM says his administration will review the operating hours of nightlife venues in the kingdom, with a view to extending the closing times. Nation Thailand reports that Srettha Thavisin says an extension to the operating hours of bars, clubs and karaoke venues could help boost tourism and stimulate the local economy.

The PM was speaking at the “Thailand Economic Outlook 2024” event, hosted in Bangkok by the Krungthep Turakij newspaper. The PM says Thailand is under-performing in the promotion of its tourist attractions and in organising world-class events, despite having a number of advantages.

By Peter Roche

Caption: FlickrEustaquio Santimano

Full story: Phuket GO 2023-10-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1

The night is for the bad ones.  Besides the government wants to get less traffic deaths, enforcement of alcohol selling hours in day time nut at night no problems.  Too tired and or drunk drivers is the result. And tourist who come to spend the night for drinking are not the quality tourists they want. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, KannikaP said:

So how much will a couple of hours more pi55 heads spending is needed to boost the economy, or pay for the subs, fighters and the Moon Shot?

It will simply produce a later start I expect. 

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Thai PM says his administration will review the operating hours of nightlife venues in the kingdom, with a view to extending the closing times.

Start with looking why PM Prayut's Cabinet approved a proposal to allow nightlife venues in the Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC) area to operate 24 hours a day to meet the growing needs of tourists. July 2023

https://thepattayanews.com

And nowhere else.

The chicken has already flown the coop. 

The military junta government under PM Prayut created the EEC using its absolute power. No concern about any public viewpoint.

If the new government has no issue with EEC's 24 hour operating hours, it shouldn't have issue anywhere else in the kingdom.

• Thumbs Up 1

I prefer the 2am closing time. I'll tell you why

1. It encourages people to get started and go out earlier. It's easy to go from dinner to party. In the west, so many young people stay home until midnight to pregame as "it's dead until midnjght"

2. A good short time is better than a long ebb/flow. I like knowing 10pm to 2am is going to be a solid party block and what I'm in for. It's only on rare occasions I want to party until the sun comes up as it <deleted> up your next day

3. If everything shuts at 2am, it gets the girls out of the bars and into your bedroom faster 

Less dancing, more <deleted>

Cant they ever just make a announcement of a change insted of a we are thinking about making a change, maybe.....

Just bloody make a change or dont........

How hard is that....

Edited by redwood1

Powerful and influential people must be "lobbying" the new government for these opening hour extensions.

I would tie an increase in the base hourly wage paid to workers in this sector, and require 1.5x salary be paid for the extra opening hours.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

The bloke standing partly hidden by the chap in the dark shirt bottom right looks like my boss :whistling:

and the girl standing behind him looks like my wife...she told me she worked in a restaurant at night!!

• Haha 1