Targeted Emergency Alert System to Be Put in Place

snoop1130

Thailand speeds up warning system after Siam Paragon shooting
by Mitch Connor

image.jpeg.0b3faec5a60af0d4521760ef43b0e

Photo: Times of India.

Thailand’s Digital Economy and Society (DES) Minister confirmed the development of a cell broadcast (CB) emergency warning system. Set to be ready for deployment within the next six months to a year, the system is a collaborative project coordinated by the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC), in liaison with mobile service providers.

The decision to develop this CB system comes in the wake of a fatal shooting at the Siam Paragon shopping mall. The incident, which claimed two lives and injured five others, highlighted the urgent need for an effective public warning system.

The CB technology, chosen for its ability to transmit emergency warnings to all devices connected to mobile networks within a specified area, is currently under development and testing.

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Crossy said:

Since I do not wish to be "targeted" I hope one can opt out of this system.

If this is like what's been set up in the US, then no - it's a national emergency warning system, and you can't opt out other than by turning off your phone. There was a test of the US system on Wednesday - the first in two or three years - and all phones sounded an alarm and gave a message at 2:20pm Eastern Time. 

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This would work well for Tsunami's any other natural disasters and of course terrorism which triggered this announcement. 

Something Thailand could do with with more than anything.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

It would be more beneficial to design a better response time for police and emergency action and ensure it's updated and functional 24/7 . 

Far too logical for here I'd say...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Yes, they always do things in small steps, but everything globally seems aligned for the same. Less privacy, more control.

You would have looked smarter if you had ignored that post.....there is no reason to mention Covid nor consider the comment if it does!

6 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Methinks the bullets are enough of a warning vs an SMS 10 minutes after everything happened...more hairbrain from dog-and-pony show.

I agree. It would be useless for a mall shooting - the sound of bullets being fired was enough to alert people at Paragon. But for the very rare situations affecting masses of people, yes. Do it. Follow the lead of other countries. Catch up.

Tell all those ministers, directors, governor, superintendents, generals and lieutenants to put up a loud speaker at head office of Thailand's Royal police (a mere 400 metres away from Siam Paragon) as well as at police hospital being 650 metres away. This would have - possibly, but not sure - resulted in a faster response time than the apparent 90 - 120 minutes which it took for anyone to show up. 

Everything else is utter nonsense, waste of money and nothing but stale warm air from where the sun never shines ????

Edited by Sydebolle

3 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Yes, they always do things in small steps, but everything globally seems aligned for the same. Less privacy, more control.

Exactly, cashless society, more control, no more banks, more control,  electric cars, turn off the power, more control, 15 minute cities, total control......I am often called a conspiracy theorist, but I do not care, W.H.O. , W.E.F. and others, want it all. Look who owns the highest percentage of shares in all major businesses from Microsoft, to Google, to Farcebook, CNN, Fox, ABC, All the big Pharma companies, all the food companies.....Blackrock, and Vanguard. It is as obvious as the nose on your face what is happening. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PremiumLane said:

If it quacks like a duck.... you sound like a conspiracy theorist. How do the WHO want it all? And what does that even mean? Who are these "others"? How is the idea of communities having easy access to essential places and services without having to use a car a bad thing? There is nothing about banning cars, it is about making livable spaces without car culture, many places in Europe have done this for decades now. 

What you are complaining about is rich people and capitalism. 

Up to you mate. 

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I know there will be a few 'tin-foil-hatters' out there who get triggered by the word 'targeted'... however, IF an Emergency Alert system is to work anything like it does in Japan, it can only be a good thing.

For example...  a couple of years ago landed in Japan...  dumped bags at hotel and went out, a few beers later I was back at the hotel taking a shower and suddenly felt dizzy....  (I thought it was the booze!)... After stepping out of the shower and saw the EarthQuake alerts on my phone... 

My Japanese friend called me up and asked if I'd felt the earth quake. 

I was data-roaming on Thai Sim... so the alert didn't come in via any registered number, it was targeted to 'all cell users' - an excellent system.

This would work well for Tsunami's any other natural disasters and of course terrorism which triggered this announcement. 

Woow, very interesting. I sort of heard of such a system, but didn't knew it was existing already !!! Thx for the info !