Being a loner in retirement

7 minutes ago, FlorC said:

Being alone does not mean I can't contact "outside" help.  If you are completely helpless , you may have hundreds friends or family , but you can't contact them either.

About assets , I can't take steps to ensure where they go.

I don't understand your last comment. I can't think of many situations where the owner of assets cannot control where they go.

On 10/8/2023 at 4:17 PM, SAFETY FIRST said:

It must be tough for some.

I'm lucky, I've been working offshore on a rotation, got a big family and a few good friends, my children keep me busy on my time off. 

I see Dan about Thailand's vlogs, he's here with his wife and children but he's trying to get more foreigners living here.

I wish he'd stop, too many foreigners here now.

I'd like to know how many from the west, retire here and become lonely, it can be very unhealthy, sadly I reckon it can be fatal to for some. 

I tend to agree. I was solo for nearly two decades. Dated a bit. Had a few relationships, but nothing serious. Then, I met my current Thai woman, and after being with her awhile, I realized I had really missed being with a wonderful woman. For me, nothing beats a quiet home, with an outstanding woman who is a great mate, a fun person to be around and always has your back. 

Every day with her is a very good day. She is the same lovely woman from one day to the next. She has a smile on her face when she wakes up in the morning. Never experienced that in the states. Some Thais manifest that unbearable lightness of being, that is so delightful to be around. I cannot really get enough of that spirit, and feel so blessed to be around that, and to have found such a well adjusted and delightful creature.

I don't know if it gets any better than that. Sure beats living alone in the desert. For me, anyway. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I believe you , I think your a realist kind of person especially made by your years of nursing and experiencing things others don't experience ????

Thank you.

Sitting ( we called it 'specialing" ) with a woman that took panadol to kill herself while she slowly died fully concious, or sitting with a young boy as he bled copiously from his bowel does make one look at life from a different perspective.

Something people that make movies don't know:

when someone dies, their eyes don't stay closed if you move the eyelids over them. The eyelids default position after death is open. Have to be taped closed.

16 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I don't understand your last comment. I can't think of many situations where the owner of assets cannot control where they go.

I don't want to leave anything. With a slow death like cancer , there is enough time. With quick death like stroke or accident (thailand !!) or heart attack , there is no time , and that worries me a lot !

39 minutes ago, FlorC said:

I don't want to leave anything. With a slow death like cancer , there is enough time. With quick death like stroke or accident (thailand !!) or heart attack , there is no time , and that worries me a lot !

You suggested in your post that you had assets - and were concerned  "About assets , I can't take steps to ensure where they go."

Now you say that you don't want to leave anything - so what is your issue should you not encounter a slow death?

• Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 4:17 PM, SAFETY FIRST said:

It must be tough for some.

I'm lucky, I've been working offshore on a rotation, got a big family and a few good friends, my children keep me busy on my time off. 

I see Dan about Thailand's vlogs, he's here with his wife and children but he's trying to get more foreigners living here.

I wish he'd stop, too many foreigners here now.

I'd like to know how many from the west, retire here and become lonely, it can be very unhealthy, sadly I reckon it can be fatal to for some. 

I think those videos could very well be produced more due to a financial incentive… Anyway when he disposes of his interest in AN he might very well be drowning in cash and cease production….

Thinking about AN I do wonder which ‘Marketing Genius’ decided to change the name from Thaivisa and also its content…….still it remains a happy playground for many and a useful forum for some….

Edited by JAS21

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I tend to agree. I was solo for nearly two decades. Dated a bit. Had a few relationships, but nothing serious. Then, I met my current Thai woman, and after being with her awhile, I realized I had really missed being with a wonderful woman. For me, nothing beats a quiet home, with an outstanding woman who is a great mate, a fun person to be around and always has your back. 

Every day with her is a very good day. She is the same lovely woman from one day to the next. She has a smile on her face when she wakes up in the morning. Never experienced that in the states. Some Thais manifest that unbearable lightness of being, that is so delightful to be around. I cannot really get enough of that spirit, and feel so blessed to be around that, and to have found such a well adjusted and delightful creature.

I don't know if it gets any better than that. Sure beats living alone in the desert. For me, anyway. 

I agree with all that ...been married to my Aging Asian Babe for 21 years now ... every day is a good day ...even the ones when she is being just a little difficult ....phew

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I agree with all that ...been married to my Aging Asian Babe for 21 years now ... every day is a good day ...even the ones when she is being just a little difficult ....phew

Enjoy your miraculously good fortune. My gal has about one or two bad days a year. I just say nice things to her, stroke her hair, and realize we are all entitled to an off day. 

Edited by spidermike007

23 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

You suggested in your post that you had assets - and were concerned  "About assets , I can't take steps to ensure where they go."

Now you say that you don't want to leave anything - so what is your issue should you not encounter a slow death?

This is one to my biggest fears , that everything I own falls in the wrong hands.

3 hours ago, JayClay said:

Make a will??

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Surely that is under your control?

If you want no one to get it , it is impossible.

And to get back to the topic : maybe the only downside of being a loner (with no kids) , is the things you leave behind after you die.

Yes it has been said already , this subject is becoming morbid. 

23 minutes ago, FlorC said:

If you want no one to get it , it is impossible.

And to get back to the topic : maybe the only downside of being a loner (with no kids) , is the things you leave behind after you die.

Yes it has been said already , this subject is becoming morbid. 

Nothing morbid about estate planning.

As I said before, none of us get out of this adventure alive; so enjoy the time you have left and make sure that you take steps to ensure that the people whom you care about, are taken care of.

Interesting range of responses.

My way of coping with loneliness is to do P4P in Pattaya.

I am retired Asian-American sexpat, age 70.

Yes, I am a dirty farang grandpa who pays for young pussy (which is getting goddamn expensive!)

I am OK with living alone and dying alone -- as long as I can still boom-boom.

No,  I am not truly happy.

I could die right now and it will not affect anyone's life.

But I've made my peace with it.

Some here have posted that it is "off topic" to discuss having a live-in girlfriend to ease loneliness.

Really?

For the celibate loners, I ask you this:

You have a dick. 

Does it still work?

Do you have boners waking in the morning?

What do you do about it?

Seems a shame to have a dick and not use it.

Or maybe sex is not important to you in your old age?

Don't you want to feel the touch of another human once in a while?

Edited by Tonko
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/10/2023 at 6:51 PM, spidermike007 said:

Having the sense to realize the woman will make you happier than chasing new highs is difficult here.  Too many great women have slipped by while I was chasing something fresh.  How I manage to realize the woman I've been with for 3 years was special is beyond me but stupid me figured it out within a week and I became the best man I could be in her eyes.  Two loners that have had quite an adventure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tonko said:

Yes, I am a dirty farang grandpa who pays for young pussy (which is getting goddamn expensive!)

Some here have posted that it is "off topic" to discuss having a live-in girlfriend to ease loneliness.

Really?

You have a dick. 

Does it still work?

What do you do about it?

I see you're a NEWBIE here, 70yo. ????

Where have you been all these years. 

Keep up the funny stuff. ????

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

9 hours ago, Tonko said:

Really?

You have a dick. 

Does it still work?

What do you do about it?

Have you got a regular "girlfriend"?  about your age seems sensible to get someone to take care more than the usual STs