Tourist turmoil: Thailand grapples with 10,000 unexpected Israeli guests amid conflict aftermath

webfact

3 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I read it that Thailand is “currently hosting” 10k Israel tourists and they are experiencing difficulties returning home because all flights are cancelled, except for those of El Al. Consequently the latter are choc o bloc and Thailand has the problem of looking after those tourists who can’t get home on their expected date.

Exactly. Practically a non issue. Newspaper column filler.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I guess the Russians here can be friendly with Ukrainian tourists. The Israeli tourists can get on with - I was going to say Palestinian tourists but I guess there aren't many. Thailand, a non-aligned country, could benefit from the input of foreign money. 

You need  a job? TAT needs you!

Israeli air space was, I think, briefly closed yesterday. Since then it's open, but with many non-Israeli airlines cancelling flights (not Emirates, though). As far as I understand the issue vs. Thailand was more of coordination and timing. Yesterday everything was in Chaos, and priorities were different.

• Like 2

Israelis have been coming here in numbers for decades, part of a circuit many like to make after their military service... Bangkok & Kathmandu part of the loop. All the schwarma joints on Khao San didn't get there by chance.

In '96 I was on flight from BKK to Kathmandu... took 3 days (Yes THREE DAYS! thanks to Royal Nepal Air). Half the flight numbers were Israelis. Made some good friendships, they weren't unfriendly and some women were hot.

Also, if I may remind some here, different cultures have different levels of what they consider "friendly". Whatever culture you are from is not "the right one" but just "your one".

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

When they are complaining about not enough tourists and in the next sentence bragging about the number of arrivals, how goes 10,000 extra tourists cause them to grapple? 

I gave the laughing emoticon because I like the word "grapple"! The word "turmoil" is also OK! Both of which seem to go hand in hand with TAT!

• Haha 1

I maybe wrong but isnt closing air space the first thing countries will do in any conflict that could escalate and isnt this the reason  why other countries have sent military air to get their own people out ( apart from Thailand that is )

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sambum said:

Yes - for instance, a scowl from a Russian after you hold the door open for him and his family is just a different way of saying "Thank you"? 

Could be worse.  Lots of American women will berate you and tell you they can get their own frickin' door.

6 minutes ago, malthebluff said:

I maybe wrong but isnt closing air space the first thing countries will do in any conflict that could escalate and isnt this the reason  why other countries have sent military air to get their own people out ( apart from Thailand that is )

Apparently, the Biden administration has told stranded Americans to book their own flights, while acknowledging that many commercial flights are being cancelled.

https://dailycaller.com/2023/10/09/joe-biden-americans-israel-hamas-flights-evacuation/

https://il.usembassy.gov/security-alert-information-on-flight-availability-from-ben-gurion-international-airport-october-9-2023/

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rbkk said:

Thailand should stop accepting El Al commercial flights to/from Israel until they allow Thai humanitarian repatriation flights into their airspace/airports.

And reservists wanting to go back.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, retarius said:

Why not ship them to the US? The US has to stick its awe into everything in the world and the arms that Hamas are using come from the USA, so why not return the favour and send the Israelis to the US where I'm sure, they will receive a very warm welcome. 

I think a "d" might be missing from your moniker 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LudwigK said:

Is Thailand going to be the new refugee country? 

After Russia and ucraine now Israel? What country is the next? 

Maybe try a fortune teller?

When it's your turn, you'll be glad to have somewhere to move yourself out of harm's way - any port in a storm, aye mate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LudwigK said:

Is Thailand going to be the new refugee country? 

After Russia and ucraine now Israel? What country is the next? 

I saw, besides a huge number of Chinese, also a large number of Africans extending their stay well beyond 90 days, the last time I went to Immigration. Doubtful that they came for sunshine, beaches, or the Buddist temples...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

33 minutes ago, impulse said:

Could be worse.  Lots of American women will berate you and tell you they can get their own frickin' door.

Apparently, the Biden administration has told stranded Americans to book their own flights, while acknowledging that many commercial flights are being cancelled.

https://dailycaller.com/2023/10/09/joe-biden-americans-israel-hamas-flights-evacuation/

https://il.usembassy.gov/security-alert-information-on-flight-availability-from-ben-gurion-international-airport-october-9-2023/

34 minutes ago, impulse said:

"Could be worse.  Lots of American women will berate you and tell you they can get their own frickin' door."

6 of one and half a dozen of the other!

1 hour ago, Cabradelmar said:

What about the 1000s of Thais desperate to leave Israel? Israeli thinking about themselves first, I guess ???? Nothing better than war to drive tourism. TAT probably thinking about visa free entry for Hamas and Palestinians. Thailand is turning into a refugee camp between the Russians, Ukrainian and Israeli... none of this is going to end well. 

Yep Retirees go home nah

• Confused 1