Was you in a job you were interested in ?

georgegeorgia

Enjoyed driving a truck, since self contracted, good compensation and traveling around.

Enjoyed benny of almost free flights when working for airlines & used them a lot.

That said, couldn't retire fast enough.

• Like 2

After my navy Time (1989 spent 8 years) I was broke and good paid jobs were hard to get.

I started then to do what I want to do and eventually 2002 I ended up in Thailand and became a pretty successful freelancer travelled the world.

My dream was always having a farm and this I could made possible as my pension was secured and the money for the farm was in the bank.

In general I didn't like the jobs but they paid a day rate that a salesman in a home pro would get for an entire week. 

So even I allowed mnyself the freedom of choice for my job, it had only the one target.

Get the most out of it... 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I helped write environmental impact reports for NYC Subway. Mostly, those reports were never seen by even a single human eye.

But stuff like old oil from buses storage and lead paint removal is important.  At a certain point, oil storage depot relocations and old paint chipping off of a bridge becomes interesting.

Gov analysts are the most cynical people alive, so a joy to work among. Left and right are united in 100% hatred of the grandstanding politicians slowing down important bus stop signage changes, just to put their stupid thumb on the scale.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No I wasn't. I went into systems and more or less stayed but really I enjoyed being a car mechanic much much more. The golden handcuffs kept me where I should never have been, silly really. Lesson of the day must be: do a job that you really enjoy and really want to do because you have to do it for a long time.

• Thumbs Up 1

I worked mostly as a musician, I both enjoyed it and was interested in it, that is why I travelled to Memphis on three occasions to see Graceland, and the Grand ole Opry in Nashville, and was invited by a band performing in a Nashville country club to join them on stage for a few songs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

I had a few delivery jobs that interested me, as in delivering microfilm, once to the World Trade Center Other than those, selling guns and fishing tackle was my favorite, and are hobbies so interest also.

Which one attracts those 30-year-younger girls you were telling me you could still pull?

Its the fishing tackle isn't it! ????

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Lesson of the day must be: do a job that you really enjoy and really want to do because you have to do it for a long time.

I believe modern thinking says do a job you are good at. Save the enjoyment for your hobby. ????

• Like 2

The 1st 7 years of my job (career) was great, I would start at 8am and be at the beach by 12pm summer time.

After 7 years they got rid of the secretaries and then we had to do our work online, i.e. use computers, then there was compliance, that was (anal) because you had juniors as compliance officers checking your work and trying to tell you that this or that was wrong based on their interpretation (thick as bricks).

I lasted another 8 years but not before changing companies 3 times, head hunted every 2-3 years and ended up tripling my salary as skilled guys were leaving in their droves due to the changes, longer working hours and loss of love for the job.

So after two degrees which took 6 years to complete, I started a job that I loved for 7 years, after the changes, I hated it, but the $'s were good and paying my mortgage, investment properties and paid for my holidays to Thailand, now retired 8 years, pay no taxes and live off my investments.

So in the end, if you can find a job you love and it pays very well, then all and good, that's probably 10% of the workforce, if you can't, then your in the 90% who work to survive, unless you hate your job as I did, but get paid very well and use that money to invest so that you can self retire early as I did at 55 as opposed to being part of the slave trade till you reach 67 to get the age pension and live a miserable existence back home.

The above said, I do know some guys that work 6 days a week and make great coins being self employed and have investments, am I jealous, NO, why, because I am living, they are not, but each to their own, no judgement here.

Edited by 4MyEgo

My last job I found very interesting as almost everyday I learnt something new, good boss who new the job inside out,; 

Crane repairs/Technician in WA OZ, Flying/driving to remote spots, loved it best job ever, I could ring the boss if their was a problem, he lived for cranes, designed and built his own too.

Only downside were the Chinese who came with me sometimes b'coz of on board computers that they would not give us the codes for, Thought I was their bloody Chauffer, refused to give back the company phone, after speaking to our interpreter, wouldn't wear a seat belt, soon changed his mind when I told him how much the fine was, wanted to drive, not insured for him. But Interesting? dam right it was.