Was you in a job you were interested in ?

georgegeorgia

On 10/12/2023 at 2:54 AM, georgegeorgia said:

So was your job a interest or did you just do it "for the money "

Interesting - very much so and the money was good!!

34 years in UK Police Service as a civilian Forensic Scientist and a Crime & Criminal Intelligence Analyst. 

My pension (Civil Service) was non-contributary and index linked on final salary. I still receive it today as I approach 80, having retired at the age of 56. 

• Love It 1

I was interested in my work, and loved it. Started as a manager, ended as a researcher. Had my eureka moments.

I did a lot of traveling on the company dime, as a consultant and attending conferences.

I have a friend who made very good money in another field, and lived for the moment he could retire. I still have dreams about when I was working.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes.

Had an interest in rocks & fossils as a child, studied geology at university, became a professional geologists. Worked for over 40 years in mineral exploration & mining. Semi-retired now but still consult to a handful of projects that interest me. Geology has been very good to me.

On 10/12/2023 at 2:54 AM, georgegeorgia said:

So was your job of interest or did you just do it "for the money "

I had a very interesting job which I liked very much, but the money was poor.

After I came back from working on oil rigs in Nigeria, I was employed by the Loctite Corporation as a sales engineer, and I had no idea that adhesives came in so many forms and could be used for so many different applications.

On occasion I would be asked to go to a company to try and solve a problem for them, whether it was on the drawing board or already in production, and Marconi Space and Development systems was one of those companies, trying to find a special heat resistant adhesive to be able to use on a window in a small rocket they were sending in space.

Many others, but the most notable for me was when I called upon a company in Worthing, of whom I never heard, who were making loudspeakers and I introduced myself to the technical director and explained that we had a range of adhesives and he told me they had a problem with one particular part of the assembly, whereby they had to put the assembled part into an oven to be able to cure the epoxy resin, and that took 12 hours, so the whole production line was built around that 12 hour delay.

Luckily enough Loctite had been doing some research on this and I procured a couple of the products and tested them with the technical director and we were able to produce adhesion that survived the "drop test" after five minutes of use – – he was amazed and excited and we went on to carry out more tests and that adhesive and one other I recommended have been used on Bowers and Wilkins (B&W) speakers ever since 1974.

I loved the job as it always presented challenges ranging from the above to many other weird and wonderful applications.

The money was poor, and having been used to earning good money overseas, I returned to Libya to work, but was sad to leave this job.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Interesting - very much so and the money was good!!

34 years in UK Police Service as a civilian Forensic Scientist and a Crime & Criminal Intelligence Analyst. 

My pension (Civil Service) was non-contributary and index linked on final salary. I still receive it today as I approach 80, having retired at the age of 56. 

No disrespect to you....but 

this is another job where not anyone can do ,so it only leaves those psychological with a fetish if I can call it that with a fetish for going to look at  crime scenes 

wouldn't you all agree ?

It seems many people have a job they like, like i.e. computers, and then they work in a big company and get promoted, and further promoted. More money is nice, but when the job is only budgets and meetings and compliance and all those things, who likes that?

Personally, I think it makes sense to work in a job which we like even if we could make more money in another job. 

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems many people have a job they like, like i.e. computers, and then they work in a big company and get promoted, and further promoted. More money is nice, but when the job is only budgets and meetings and compliance and all those things, who likes that?

Personally, I think it makes sense to work in a job which we like even if we could make more money in another job. 

I agree , but what psychological mind is someone whose job it is to go to crime scenes and enjoys it or someone who works for the police in the " car accident investigation unit" going to fatal accidents.

14 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

No disrespect to you....but 

this is another job where not anyone can do ,so it only leaves those psychological with a fetish if I can call it that with a fetish for going to look at  crime scenes 

wouldn't you all agree ?

With respect, I find your comment rather offensive. I studied Appled Biology at University then joined an Animal Pharmacology Company where I gained a lot of field work experience before working with the UK Police Service. I am certainly not a psychological fetish for crime scenes - attending such scenes was "part and parcel" of my job description. I can assure you such attendences could be horrendous, harrowing and very sad, ocassionally in atrocious weather conditions.

No further comment from me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect, I find your comment rather offensive. I studied Appled Biology at University then joined an Animal Pharmacology Company where I gained a lot of field work experience before working with the UK Police Service. I am certainly not a psychological fetish for crime scenes - attending such scenes was "part and parcel" of my job description. I can assure you such attendences could be horrendous, harrowing and very sad, ocassionally in atrocious weather conditions.

No further comment from me.

Absolutely no offence to you .????

What I am trying to get at is that job just like the Colon surgeon job can only be done by people who have a "interest" in it , it's takes resilience to cope with in seeing things that others don't see.

Your job was very difficult emotionally and would take a very strong minded person

One can not to such a job for the money otherwise you won't last emotional so there is a genuine interest in that job 

Who was the Scottish Irish guy on the tv series who used to do this job at crime scenes ,was it Cracker ??

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

but what psychological mind is someone whose job it is to go to crime scenes and enjoys it or someone who works for the police in the " car accident investigation unit" going to fatal accidents.

Maybe the desire to solve crimes and expose product errors which result in deadly accidents.

Same with plumbers. I guess not too many of them enjoy working with excrements. But maybe they enjoy that they help people in bad situations and make those people happy that the wastewater flows down the drain again. Just a sample.

• Thanks 1

I guess I'm a rarity as I stayed in my same job, at the same location, my entire career.  I was a library assistant at a community college library and I was in charge of the circulation and reserves desk, as well as assisting the students with research and locating material--many of the years were before the internet and Google.  Our original circulation system still used punch cards.  Also worked one evening a week and every 4th Saturday at the reference desk.  It was a new community college branch and I started when it had been open less than a year--so it was an all-new staff.  Nice with us all starting out fresh. It was a small staff of 6, with some part-timers, which I also liked.

It was a 2 floor library and I was usually the only staff member manning the second floor, so I was pretty much my own boss, with nobody constantly looking over my shoulder--which I loved.  I could structure my work flow every day, and mostly do my required tasks when I wanted, as long as the work got done.  The library director's philosophy was to hire good people and leave them alone to do their work.  Fine with me.

I enjoyed working with the students--new ones arriving each year--and I liked the community college concept and  just the whole environment.  We had a great mix of students--kids right out of high school and also older folks--workers learning a new job or skill, mothers going back to school, now the kids were older, retirees trying a painting, creative writing, or horticulture class, etc . I think at one point the average student age was 29.   Made for interesting, rewarding days. 

I've always enjoyed interior design and that was one of the 2-year programs at our campus branch of the community college.  So, we got beautiful interior design books for the library and subscribed to all the related magazines, such as Architectural Digest and Interior Design.  I helped process the new books so I could snare anything interesting first.

I've loved reading all my life so my job involved something that I enjoyed--which was nice.  One thing I liked with the job was writing, in the later years, a monthly book review column highlighting a few of the new popular fiction books the library had received, for the library's website.

At one point I was offered a job at a small, department library at a US government agency in Washington, DC.  It would have meant more pay but also  a commute into the city each day, and the work duties did not look nearly as interesting as what I had--so I stayed.

Another factor was the the very nice co-workers at the library.  Some, whom I started with at the beginning, we're also still there when I retired; and others had been there 10, 15, or more years--I think a tribute to it being an enjoyable place to work.

The salary was lousy--state worker--but the benefits were good and you could retire after 30 years and get a pension--also small but guaranteed for life and with COLAs built-in.  I chose to retire in my early 50s--a bit burnt-out--but worked evenings part-time at the same job for another 5 years before moving to Thailand with my partner.   During this period, with my days free, I started to put to work everything I had picked up reading all those interior design books and magazines, and I began dong some condo fix-up flips.

When my partner and I hit Thailand in 2010, we decided to continue doing condo renovations--20 or so at this point--and now also a few houses, while he also works his legal job.  It's been interesting and mostly fun, being sort-of a late bloomer with this semi-second career.  

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

What about those who work in face to face customer service jobs 

I only work as a night shift cleaner in a hospital so don't see anyone which is great for me .....but strangely I spoke to a lady recently who works on the front desk who says she enjoys helping people with information etc .

How many of us with our miserable personalities can last in a face to face customer service jobs ,not many I'm sure 

6 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I only work as a night shift cleaner in a hospital so don't see anyone which is great for me .....but strangely I spoke to a lady recently who works on the front desk who says she enjoys helping people with information etc .

How many of us with our miserable personalities can last in a face to face customer service jobs ,not many I'm sure 

On 10/11/2023 at 9:54 PM, georgegeorgia said:

So was your job a interest or did you just do it "for the money "

I have a long-time past in the music business, and as Zappa perfectly explained it, we that originates from that kind of business business...

TheMothers-Money-3000DPI300RGB1000129345

–even it initially might have begun with a idealistic passion...:whistling:

However, underway it was also great cool fun...????????

My other jobs was primary from interest; i.e. airline, theatre and radio station. The first two also provided enough for living a modest life, the last costed me a lot of money, as I unfortunately ended up as owner...:whistling: –however, I don't regret the radio station-period, as I both learned a lot and also got lots of good friends from that period...:thumbsup:

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/13/2023 at 7:28 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Absolutely no offence to you .????

What I am trying to get at is that job just like the Colon surgeon job can only be done by people who have a "interest" in it , it's takes resilience to cope with in seeing things that others don't see.

Your job was very difficult emotionally and would take a very strong minded person

One can not to such a job for the money otherwise you won't last emotional so there is a genuine interest in that job 

Who was the Scottish Irish guy on the tv series who used to do this job at crime scenes ,was it Cracker ??

According to wikipedia that would be correct.

Loved the series and I should watch it again sometime.

On 10/13/2023 at 8:14 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Is nursing face to face enough to qualify? However, the job often involved other parts of the anatomy than the face.

It was a mistake to start doing it, but in the long run I saw parts of the world I'd never have visited otherwise and I only discovered Thailand when traveling to/ from Saudi.

• Haha 1

On 10/13/2023 at 10:56 AM, noobexpat said:

Which one attracts those 30-year-younger girls you were telling me you could still pull?

Its the fishing tackle isn't it! ????

Working out for 50 years and knowing how to listen to women works the best. Initial attraction, smiling, looking them in the eyes, and making them laugh.

34 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Working out for 50 years and knowing how to listen to women works the best. Initial attraction, smiling, looking them in the eyes, and making them laugh.

So nearly 70 then! ...ok in thailand its no problem attracting a 40 year old. 

30 years younger for me would be an 18 year old! No thanks.

6 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

So nearly 70 then! ...ok in thailand its no problem attracting a 40 year old. 

30 years younger for me would be an 18 year old! No thanks.

No problems attracting a 40 year old in US either. A lot like older men who've been there and understand a woman and what she needs. Not easy but possible

• Like 1

Travel Biz:  Loved most every day.  Traveled the world, fly for free, free hotels, free car rentals, free cruises, free upgrades.  Dream merchant as I sold a product that most customers really wanted and enjoyed.

$$ so so but got to live like a millionaire thanks to the perks.  And then came the airline commission cuts and the internet and party mostly over.  It was a good run though.

Yes, they were interesting at the time.  But I wouldn't want to go back and do them again now for more than a day or two.  Except for the army, that one I'd be OK doing a full deployment if it were for something important.