Condo Market price trends ? Pattaya/Jomtien

13 hours ago, NickyLouie said:

Market instability and potential worldwide recession decline in fiat currencies say it's a good time to park money in tangible assets.

But not yet. Maybe in a couple years when real estate goes down 40%.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Worst time to buy. Market has peaked, and can only drop from here. And if a major recession hits, all bets are off. How large could the drop be? 40%?

Thailand condos are so over built. 

I think we all remember reading similar posts during covid.  Buyers will dry up, and expect prices to steeply drop.  There are too many condos for sale and there will be bargains galore, take your pick.  During covid, my partner and I sold 2 condos and a house, all at a profit.  We did not notice a lack of buyers, which did sort of surprise us.  All 3 sales were to people living in Thailand; 2 were foreign buyers with Thai wives, the house buyer was Thai.       

Anyway, with some money in our pockets, we eagerly awaited picking up some covid bargains--maybe at your '40%' off.   Lovely to snap up a nice seaview condo, at a quality project, for a song.  Well, of course, it never happened.  Never saw any terrific 40% off bargains in any projects we would have been interested in buying into.  Not to say there weren't some bargains--there are always some bargains to be found in good times and bad--but nothing we would have wanted to own--quality seaview condos in good locations in good projects.  We'll see what happens with the proposed tax changes, though I think my partner and I are pretty content with the new home we are just finishing--although we've said that before.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, newnative said:

I think we all remember reading similar posts during covid.  Buyers will dry up, and expect prices to steeply drop.  There are too many condos for sale and there will be bargains galore, take your pick.  During covid, my partner and I sold 2 condos and a house, all at a profit.  We did not notice a lack of buyers, which did sort of surprise us.  All 3 sales were to people living in Thailand; 2 were foreign buyers with Thai wives, the house buyer was Thai.       

Anyway, with some money in our pockets, we eagerly awaited picking up some covid bargains--maybe at your '40%' off.   Lovely to snap up a nice seaview condo, at a quality project, for a song.  Well, of course, it never happened.  Never saw any terrific 40% off bargains in any projects we would have been interested in buying into.  Not to say there weren't some bargains--there are always some bargains to be found in good times and bad--but nothing we would have wanted to own--quality seaview condos in good locations in good projects.  We'll see what happens with the proposed tax changes, though I think my partner and I are pretty content with the new home we are just finishing--although we've said that before.

I can see the condo market drying up if they are stupid enough to start taxing people so that they choose to live here less than 6 months

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I can see the condo market drying up if they are stupid enough to start taxing people so that they choose to live here less than 6 months

It should not be an investment anyway. Buying real estate should be about setting down roots & staying put, or family.

Trying to make money on real estate is pretty much a gamble. You're trying to time the market both buying & selling which doss not work for non-professionals. Like everything else it does not always go up, like real estste agents say, and when it crashes most people can't stay solvent and hold through the crash because circumstances change in other areas, like inflation, that make you need the money back.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

It should not be an investment anyway. Buying real estate should be about setting down roots & staying put, or family.

Trying to make money on real estate is pretty much a gamble. You're trying to time the market both buying & selling which doss not work for non-professionals. Like everything else it does not always go up, like real estste agents say, and when it crashes most people can't stay solvent and hold through the crash because circumstances change in other areas, like inflation, that make you need the money back.

Even if it's bought to live in the case for buying isn't great if you are spending less than 6 months here

29 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

How many properties have you owned? You have spoken a lot in this thread as if you are some sort of expert but I doubt you have ever owned an investment property, never mind in Pattaya.

Me, like many others got wealthy buying investment properties, so I think you speak nonsense

You were just lucky you sold while prices were rising. My advice would be to take the money and not reinvest in property.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

You were just lucky you sold while prices were rising. My advice would be to take the money and not reinvest in property.

Ok, it was obviously all luck because you say so

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/14/2023 at 12:58 PM, newnative said:

I don't know how the Chinese couple will be paying for their house.  There is also a single, female Chinese buyer who is also buying in the project.   Perhaps their funds are already here--but that doesn't answer how they got them here. 

As a foreigner with funds already in country you cannot buy a property here.

I believe you need to show the money coming from overseas and get an FET form or have a limited company or give someone in the bank a back hander to make the FET, for a fee.

I may be wrong tho.

• Confused 1

On 10/15/2023 at 12:13 PM, BritManToo said:

When I moved to CM in 2009 I was renting a condo, 6000bht/month.

Same condo is still 6000bht/month in 2023.

Not sure rental inflation is happening.

During that same time my pound dropped from 50bht to 45bht (-10%)

But my pension income nearly doubled (+80%).

I'm quids in because of inflation.

Yes, rents are such a bargain here, especially compared to where I am from, the US.  

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Totally missed my point.  You got a blank slate to work with, when you bought the View Talay shells.   You got a big, empty space with no interior walls.  Only the bathroom was done.  You could put interior walls wherever you wanted them, and make them any shape you wanted --which my partner and I did--as did everyone else who also bought an empty shell.  Every buyer had total freedom to do what they wanted within the 4 walls--how does that relate to a 'prison cell'?   If you are equating it to size, most new 1 bedrooms are around 35 sqm, vs 48 sqm for most VT 3 to VT7 studios.

With a VT shell, you had much more flexibility to make a space unique than you have today.  When you purchase in one of the new condo projects--it's already all been done for you.  Your unit, in most cases,  looks exactly like the one next door, with all the interior walls already in place, and difficult, or impossible, to change at that point.  

I'm wondering what makes a 35 sqm unit at, say, The Base, live less like a 'prison cell' than a 48 sqm unit at a VT project.  Maybe you can enlighten me.  If nothing else, the VT projects, from VT3 on, all have much bigger balconies than most new projects, so you can spend more time outside, rather than in your supposed 'prison cell'.

Maybe some photos will better illustrate my point.  The first set is a 1 bedroom, 35 sqm unit at The Base.  All the 1 bedroom condos at The Base came with the exact same bed, same 2-seat dining set, same kitchen, same bath, same coffee table, same 1-arm, small gray loveseat, same tv wall unit in the living room, and same armoire in the bedroom. 

Given everything was the same, unit to unit, there wasn't a whole lot we could do to make our unit stand out from the one next door.  We added custom artwork, accessories, changed the cooktop to induction, had a clothes washer cabinet with storage built for the balcony, did custom curtains, new bathroom vanity added below the wall-hung sink, and that was about it.  This was a 35 sqm unit, which had a longer, but still very narrow, balcony.  We were able to squeeze 2 lounge chairs on it if we sat them sort of sideways.

Second set of photos show a View Talay 48 sqm studio, which started as a large, empty shell.  We divided the space with a wall and a sliding door, to create a separate, private bedroom area. 

All the built-in furniture is custom, to fit the space and use every inch.  Unlike The Base bedroom, the VT bedroom has room for a useful desk area, in addition to plenty of storage in the armoire and tv cabinet.  The kitchen is also custom, and includes a hidden washing machine in the first cabinet.  (Doing the project today, we would have a washer/dryer stack combo.)  And, much bigger tvs!         

Instead of a small, 2 person loveseat, the VT condo has a big, sprawling corner sofa that could seat 4 in a pinch.  Having sat on both the sofa and the small loveseat, it's no contest which was more comfortable.  Same for the condos; having spent time in both, the VT had the edge, mainly due to how the spaces worked and the larger balcony, which was really another room, with dining and lounge areas.

You seem to be laser-focused, and not for the first time, on unimportant things--such as look-alike balconies (also found on many other condo buildings), faucets, and wallpaper, of all things.  Changing a faucet or wallpaper is a breeze, not so moving a wall, or making a way-too-small balcony, bigger.  

In any case, there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to condos--it's all personal preference.   Some can be happy in a cozy 'shoebox', others must, absolutely, have ample space to swing their cats with wild abandon.   Both illustrated condos are different takes on very space-challenged small condos--with neither big enough for much cat swinging.  I'm still failing to see how one comes across as more of a prison cell.  

t

base 1.jpg

base 2.jpg

base 3.jpg

base 5.jpg

base 6.jpg

base 7.jpg

base 8.jpg

base 9.jpg

vt5 construction 2.jpeg

vt1.jpg

vt3.jpg

vt4.jpg

vt5.jpg

vt6.jpg

vt7.jpg

vt8.jpg

vt9.jpg

Every single one of JT’s posts misses it’s mark. His opinions aren’t even skin deep. Knows little but expounds ‘opinions’ on everything. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I went to look at Once pattaya on 3rd road (north pattaya end). 35sqm were 4m ...higher floors more, lower were a bit less. But its too small, i couldn't live in that size. Bigger ones about 6m.

My central pattaya rent is 22k/m for 53sqm. Will be increasing next year. These condos seem to age fast though.

I've hate paying rent, but its negligible so no big deal. Keep renting for now.

11 hours ago, strikingsunset said:

I know you are a regular, knowledgeable,  poster here....a 40 per cent per cent drop from the current levels would be simply jaw dropping.

I realize that. It would require a major reset, which I believe will happen. I see the Dow dropping to 3,300. Unemployment at 46%. The economy is way over inflated. A major correction will happen. It is simply a matter of timing. 

18 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I realize that. It would require a major reset, which I believe will happen. I see the Dow dropping to 3,300. Unemployment at 46%. The economy is way over inflated. A major correction will happen. It is simply a matter of timing. 

Keep working on your 68,000 post count with these nonsense rebuttals.

Let the big boys own and worry about real monetary losses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newnative said:

Totally missed my point.  You got a blank slate to work with, when you bought the View Talay shells.   You got a big, empty space with no interior walls.  Only the bathroom was done.  You could put interior walls wherever you wanted them, and make them any shape you wanted --which my partner and I did--as did everyone else who also bought an empty shell.  Every buyer had total freedom to do what they wanted within the 4 walls--how does that relate to a 'prison cell'?   If you are equating it to size, most new 1 bedrooms are around 35 sqm, vs 48 sqm for most VT 3 to VT7 studios.

With a VT shell, you had much more flexibility to make a space unique than you have today.  When you purchase in one of the new condo projects--it's already all been done for you.  Your unit, in most cases,  looks exactly like the one next door, with all the interior walls already in place, and difficult, or impossible, to change at that point.  

I'm wondering what makes a 35 sqm unit at, say, The Base, live less like a 'prison cell' than a 48 sqm unit at a VT project.  Maybe you can enlighten me.  If nothing else, the VT projects, from VT3 on, all have much bigger balconies than most new projects, so you can spend more time outside, rather than in your supposed 'prison cell'.

Maybe some photos will better illustrate my point.  The first set is a 1 bedroom, 35 sqm unit at The Base.  All the 1 bedroom condos at The Base came with the exact same bed, same 2-seat dining set, same kitchen, same bath, same coffee table, same 1-arm, small gray loveseat, same tv wall unit in the living room, and same armoire in the bedroom. 

Given everything was the same, unit to unit, there wasn't a whole lot we could do to make our unit stand out from the one next door.  We added custom artwork, accessories, changed the cooktop to induction, had a clothes washer cabinet with storage built for the balcony, did custom curtains, new bathroom vanity added below the wall-hung sink, and that was about it.  This was a 35 sqm unit, which had a longer, but still very narrow, balcony.  We were able to squeeze 2 lounge chairs on it if we sat them sort of sideways.

Second set of photos show a View Talay 48 sqm studio, which started as a large, empty shell.  We divided the space with a wall and a sliding door, to create a separate, private bedroom area. 

All the built-in furniture is custom, to fit the space and use every inch.  Unlike The Base bedroom, the VT bedroom has room for a useful desk area, in addition to plenty of storage in the armoire and tv cabinet.  The kitchen is also custom, and includes a hidden washing machine in the first cabinet.  (Doing the project today, we would have a washer/dryer stack combo.)  And, much bigger tvs!         

Instead of a small, 2 person loveseat, the VT condo has a big, sprawling corner sofa that could seat 4 in a pinch.  Having sat on both the sofa and the small loveseat, it's no contest which was more comfortable.  Same for the condos; having spent time in both, the VT had the edge, mainly due to how the spaces worked and the larger balcony, which was really another room, with dining and lounge areas.

You seem to be laser-focused, and not for the first time, on unimportant things--such as look-alike balconies (also found on many other condo buildings), faucets, and wallpaper, of all things.  Changing a faucet or wallpaper is a breeze, not so moving a wall, or making a way-too-small balcony, bigger.  

In any case, there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to condos--it's all personal preference.   Some can be happy in a cozy 'shoebox', others must, absolutely, have ample space to swing their cats with wild abandon.   Both illustrated condos are different takes on very space-challenged small condos--with neither big enough for much cat swinging.  I'm still failing to see how one comes across as more of a prison cell.  

t

base 1.jpg

base 2.jpg

base 3.jpg

base 5.jpg

base 6.jpg

base 7.jpg

base 8.jpg

base 9.jpg

vt5 construction 2.jpeg

vt1.jpg

vt3.jpg

vt4.jpg

vt5.jpg

vt6.jpg

vt7.jpg

vt8.jpg

vt9.jpg

While your layout is an improvement it's still a tiny space to cram everything in, while your pictures show everything you need there's really no room to walk.

If you search enough, some places ( the executive residence #2 thru #4 ) offer minimum about 70sqm for 1 bedrooms, that's workable, good location and decent value IMO.

Some people don't like that  it's off the baht bus route but for most long termers they have transport.

Just my opinion.

The slight older, but bigger footprints, are becoming more popular than the newer shoe boxes.

2 hours ago, newnative said:

t

base 1.jpg

base 2.jpg

base 3.jpg

base 5.jpg

base 6.jpg

base 7.jpg

base 8.jpg

base 9.jpg

vt5 construction 2.jpeg

vt1.jpg

vt3.jpg

vt4.jpg

vt5.jpg

vt6.jpg

vt7.jpg

vt8.jpg

vt9.jpg

I stayed in something similar in VT2B when I first came to pattaya while I looked for a long term place. I hated it after about a month. It was just too small. I would walk down the hallway and it was just door after door the same. Lots of old guys around "stuck" there in the small rooms. I'm just glad I could afford something bigger in a less crowded building.

Would probably be ok if I was younger, but as an older guy (50's) the prospect of long term living or retirement in a place like that is pretty bleak.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 12:39 PM, SingAPorn said:

This is where the cheats, agents and speculators will show up and make an offer that is just a ripp off as it will be far lower then what you initially paid and it's worth. The main targets usually are the foreigners who have purchased or leasehold and are wanting to leave following the new tax rules and constant immigration hassles.

No seller has to accept a low offer. If your condo has been marketed well for a long period and you have received a series of low offers, then maybe, just maybe that is the market value. Still no obligation to accept the offer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, noobexpat said:

I went to look at Once pattaya on 3rd road (north pattaya end). 35sqm were 4m ...higher floors more, lower were a bit less. But its too small, i couldn't live in that size. Bigger ones about 6m.

My central pattaya rent is 22k/m for 53sqm. Will be increasing next year. These condos seem to age fast though.

older condos are much better value but you need to research to find them

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I stayed in something similar in VT2B when I first came to pattaya while I looked for a long term place. I hated it after about a month. It was just too small. I would walk down the hallway and it was just door after door the same. Lots of old guys around "stuck" there in the small rooms. I'm just glad I could afford something bigger in a less crowded building.

Would probably be ok if I was younger, but as an older guy (50's) the prospect of long term living or retirement in a place like that is pretty bleak.

Actually I see it the other way around. No way would I stay in such a place as a young person. 
Look at it from the point of view of how the older people would live in their home country. If from a country with a colder climate, they might have a more restricted lifestyle during winter months. Also quality of life there on a limited income. 
I watched a terribly sad program the other day with regard to pensioners on a limited income, afraid to turn up the heating. Living in a place such as VT2b, no heating required and a more active life is possible throughout the year. Plus affordability brings a better quality of life. 
A younger person may have different priorities. 
They might want a penthouse at the sea filled with a bevy of beauties. 
So don’t judge, just find your place. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, noobexpat said:

Seems relatively poor value. Especially as you state it will be higher next year. 
The fact that you wrote ‘central’ leads me to think that you are way back on Third Road somewhere. 
I remember when I first visited Pattaya, the girls were scared to walk down Bua Khao due to bag snatching and Third Road’s biggest feature were places you could go fishing. 
For me the point of staying in a resort town is to be near the sea. To hear the sound of the sea. Not to stay in a soulless place that could be anywhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Pattaya Plaza Condotel. Best value I've found. Has decent size, giant pool, two lifts, car space, quiet, access to light and dark sides. Going rate for good room is around 800K. As low as 650 for troubled rooms. Way back bought one for 450. Looks like prices will hover for awhile. Mostly each person has that 6th sense feel for an abode so as they say ,, to one's own choose a mobile phone. And remember love thy neighbour. 

2 hours ago, NextG said:

Actually I see it the other way around. No way would I stay in such a place as a young person. 
Look at it from the point of view of how the older people would live in their home country. If from a country with a colder climate, they might have a more restricted lifestyle during winter months. Also quality of life there on a limited income. 
I watched a terribly sad program the other day with regard to pensioners on a limited income, afraid to turn up the heating. Living in a place such as VT2b, no heating required and a more active life is possible throughout the year. Plus affordability brings a better quality of life. 
A younger person may have different priorities. 
They might want a penthouse at the sea filled with a bevy of beauties. 
So don’t judge, just find your place. 

It sucks

Edited by JimTripper
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, PJ71 said:

While your layout is an improvement it's still a tiny space to cram everything in, while your pictures show everything you need there's really no room to walk.

If you search enough, some places ( the executive residence #2 thru #4 ) offer minimum about 70sqm for 1 bedrooms, that's workable, good location and decent value IMO.

Some people don't like that  it's off the baht bus route but for most long termers they have transport.

Just my opinion.

The slight older, but bigger footprints, are becoming more popular than the newer shoe boxes.

Yes, as I said in my post, some are ok with small, some want much larger spaces.  Fortunately, Pattaya has a wide variety of both.  How  I wish the town where I lived in the US had offered such choice. and such reasonable rents.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JimTripper said:

VT2 studios are generally smaller, around 37sqm vs. 48sqm for the newer projects.  The extra 11 square meters were applied to making the newer rooms a true rectangle, while expanding the balcony.  VT2 rooms were angled by the balcony window wall to make space for a small balcony. Lucky owners snagged units next to the fire escape stairways, which have much bigger balconies.

Those extra square meters made for quite the difference.  The rectangle interior room was much easier to work with than a room with an awkward angle.  The truly generous balcony became a whole extra room, with space for both outdoor dining and a couple of lounge chairs to enjoy the nice year-round weather.

As I mentioned to another poster, big balconies or not, we are still dealing in very small spaces, at both the VT studios and all the many new condo projects that have 1 bedrooms at around 35 sqm.  The new projects mostly do have a lot of nice amenities, to help take the sting out of living in a space so small. 

I think large numbers of these small condos are used as weekend getaway places.  Perhaps some will remember that The Base was originally marketed to Bangkokers as a getaway place at the beach--tagline in the brochures was, 'It's the Weekend!.  Getaway places could be small units of 29 and 35 sqm, ideal for a weekend at the beach. 

Others have small condos here to escape the harsh winters in their countries.  We have friends who do just that, live in a small space over the winter months but spend the rest of the year elsewhere--in larger quarters.   Whatever one ends up in, It all boils down to personal preferences, personal lifestyle, and what one's budget can afford.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JimTripper said:

All the VT buildings are like prison blocks with no character at all. Yes they are cheap boxes if that is all you want.

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I need to live somewhere whereby i feel 'proud' to live there. Same as living in a nice street in UK. I don't get that feeling with older condo's. I don't like any of those view talay ones, including VT6.

The 'garden' condo's on soi 15 are ok. Not too old and reasonable sqm. I can't live in jomtien or pratumnak, they just hold no interest.

• Like 1