How hard for Thai Citizen to visit U.S.A just for a short holiday?

On 10/14/2023 at 1:47 AM, marin said:

Easy if she has a job and assets here in Thailand  that she would have to return for. Otherwise not that easy. She would have to be interviewed in order to grant the visa. 

For a US visa, the most important thing is her ability to convince the officer that she will return.  Good jobs, assets, etc. are required. 

On 10/14/2023 at 1:47 PM, marin said:

Easy if she has a job and assets here in Thailand  that she would have to return for. Otherwise not that easy. She would have to be interviewed in order to grant the visa. 

Yes..my wife got a 3 yr visa (I guess thats multiple entry), for the USA. Civil servant. 10 yr for Canada as well. Usually applied for to attend meetings or conferences. 

39 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Absolutely incorrect, the number of visas issued for students is under 1% of the total applications. Tourist visas are likely even less. I have no idea where you're getting your information from. 

Well I am very sure your information is not from any reliable source.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Well I am very sure your information is not from any reliable source.

My own personal experience, the experience of many others, and a discussion with one of the consulate workers that I was able to get an honest opinion from way back when. I also had some contact with someone at the state department and he said the same thing, as well as an immigration attorney. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

My own personal experience, the experience of many others, and a discussion with one of the consulate workers that I was able to get an honest opinion from way back when. I also had some contact with someone at the state department and he said the same thing, as well as an immigration attorney. 

IE bar talk.

ADJUSTED REFUSAL RATE - B-VISAS ONLY FISCAL 2022

U.S. Department of State (.gov)
https://travel.state.gov › Non-Immigrant-Statistics
THAILAND. 24.36%.

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/RefusalRates/FY22.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

ADJUSTED REFUSAL RATE - B-VISAS ONLY FISCAL 2022

U.S. Department of State (.gov)
https://travel.state.gov › Non-Immigrant-Statistics
THAILAND. 24.36%.

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/RefusalRates/FY22.pdf

Fascinating table.  But I assume this covers men as well as women and is not broken down by gender, marital status, or age.  Any idea what is adjusted?

One story. Thai lady/ Korean husband wants to take her to Hawaii for trip , full time job in quality control in medical device manufacture and legul residence in Korea. Took three tries for US tourist visa after some years she arrives in HNL before admission is separated from her husband in secondary inspection to be threatened and grilled by ICE officers.

She is attractive and a bit of an age difference do they really think she will abandon everything to run off and work in a massage parlour or karaoke? 

Yep. 

Asians are discriminated more after Covid thanks to Dumb Trump blamed Chinese for it and in America an average hillbilly thinks all Asians are "Chinese".

Thai people very seldom are involved any criminality outside of Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/15/2023 at 4:11 PM, spidermike007 said:

That has been my experience too, and they ask for a $250 application fee which is not refundable so it's basically just the donation to the US government. They hardly ever approve tourist visas for Thais, unless they're quite wealthy, so if you can show very significant assets in the bank, in her name, it's a different story. 

Same applies to a student visa, the student visa is even a longer shot. Once we got married it was very easy to get a 10-year multiple entry visa from my Thai wife and the only paperwork they wanted to see was my original passport, and that was it! Granted. 

Yes wealthy or rich parents parents for these kids who go on study programmes.

Consular services are in theory entirely user funded so the $250 is a ”donation” to US Department of State and likely a waste of money。Once I can finagle an appointment and get past the security theatre my experice with US consular staff has been wonderful but they have their orders. I have been told informally by someone who worked in Chiang Mai consul for a tourist visa the amount a Thai needs banked or their parents if  they are a student is 2.8 million baht  along with compelling reason to return. 

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Yes wealthy or rich parents parents for these kids who go on study programmes.

Consular services are in theory entirely user funded so the $250 is a ”donation” to US Department of State and likely a waste of money。Once I can finagle an appointment and get past the security theatre my experice with US consular staff has been wonderful but they have their orders. I have been told informally by someone who worked in Chiang Mai consul for a tourist visa the amount a Thai needs banked or their parents if  they are a student is 2.8 million baht  along with compelling reason to return. 

One of the surprises that you're about to experience is that a visa doesn't cost $250, that figure was invented.  It's $185.  You should also doubt the 2.8 million baht figure, that's not how it works.

Agree, much of it is security theater; while it does keep everyone safe (no incidents I've ever heard of, despite a ton of nutters out there), there is DEFINITELY an aspect that is meant to convey the appearance of rigorous safeguarding that seems overblown.  TSA in the U.S., and most places, is worse though.

• Confused 1

On 11/2/2023 at 12:11 AM, habuspasha said:

Fascinating table.  But I assume this covers men as well as women and is not broken down by gender, marital status, or age.  Any idea what is adjusted?

It's adjusted, I think, to give final total refusal rates.  Lots of people are put in a status of "we need more info from you" or "we have to check on something" and while this is taking place the applicant is "refused" though the great majority of these are issued later.  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/administrative-processing-information.html#:~:text=What does a visa refusal,section 291 of the INA.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2023 at 8:49 AM, Henryford said:

So does that mean a thai female can never have a holiday in the USA?  Seems bizarre.

LOL... maybe I'm just lucky but 5 of my female inlaws have received US visas on their first attempt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChicagoExpat said:

One of the surprises that you're about to experience is that a visa doesn't cost $250, that figure was invented.  It's $185.  You should also doubt the 2.8 million baht figure, that's not how it works.

Agree, much of it is security theater; while it does keep everyone safe (no incidents I've ever heard of, despite a ton of nutters out there), there is DEFINITELY an aspect that is meant to convey the appearance of rigorous safeguarding that seems overblown.  TSA in the U.S., and most places, is worse though.

Well it was a long time ago the lady told ”around $75 thousand dollars”, I am adjusting the exchange rate.

So I said to her I said ”how many Americans have $75k USD in the bank?” And they come here visa free then work illegallly commit crimes and even begpack in the street no wonder Thai people are upset by this unfairness

There is nothing wrong with a metal detector and searching visitor belongings but the idea of having to put your electronics in a locker for safe keeping is a joke. Without a full strip search anybody could have a body camera in their eyeglasses, a button, or almost anywhere else

• Confused 1

On 11/3/2023 at 5:17 PM, Captain Monday said:

Well it was a long time ago the lady told ”around $75 thousand dollars”, I am adjusting the exchange rate.

So I said to her I said ”how many Americans have $75k USD in the bank?” And they come here visa free then work illegallly commit crimes and even begpack in the street no wonder Thai people are upset by this unfairness

There is nothing wrong with a metal detector and searching visitor belongings but the idea of having to put your electronics in a locker for safe keeping is a joke. Without a full strip search anybody could have a body camera in their eyeglasses, a button, or almost anywhere else

Our fellow citizens' bad behavior is embarrassing and a legitimate cause for concern (though it's clear that Thailand's open prostitution and now legalization of pot attracts the bottomfeeders).  That said, I'd also say that with the Thai population in the U.S. having ballooned to hundreds of thousands in just a few years, the Thais can't complain too much about working illegally etc.

Which is also a relevant fact to our overall discussion.

• 2 months later...
On 10/14/2023 at 1:47 PM, marin said:

Having a job and some sort of assets are just a few of the factors considered.  Also, with just those few factors--what kind of job would be looked at, and having worked for how long, what is the salary, and what documentation can be provided to prove the salary--assets--land?  Do many Thai girlfriends have land or homes/condos in their name?

Also, what is often considered are family ties here in Thailand that would compel a return,what previous travel has the applicant done outside Thailand, and funds in a bank account (that haven't just been deposited to help with the visa).

It can be done but it is not an easy task for the average Thai.

On 10/14/2023 at 4:31 PM, Middle Aged Grouch said:

Choose another country as they will hassle you at immigration on arrival  and all the pre registration and mess they create for flights to America in the airport of departure.

"immigration on arrival"--it won't even get to that concern.  No visa, no arrival.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/15/2023 at 10:40 AM, marin said:

It is a lot of time zones, but with daylight savings time its 15 hours West coast USA and 12 East coast. Not at least 20 mate. 

There are only 24 time zones, if you are traveling through 20, you are an idiot.

• Like 1