Biden says reoccupation of Gaza by Israel would be ‘big mistake’

Social Media

image.png

President Biden said in a new interview that it would be a “big mistake” if Israel once again occupied Gaza as it fights the militant group Hamas following an attack and subsequent war that has left thousands dead.

“I think it’d be a big mistake,” Biden said when asked by CBS’s Scott Pelley on “60 Minutes” if he would support Israeli occupation of Gaza at this point of the war. Gaza has been under heavy bombardment by Israel, and Israel is expected to launch a ground offensive soon.

“Look, what happened in Gaza, in my view, is Hamas and the extreme elements of Hamas don’t represent all the Palestinian people. And I think that … it would be a mistake … for Israel to occupy … Gaza again,” Biden added. “But going in but taking out the extremists — the Hezbollah is up north but Hamas down south — is a necessary requirement.”

Israel formally withdrew its military presence as well as its settlements from inside Gaza in 2005. The enclave had been controlled by the Palestinian Authority before that following the Oslo accords.

The year after Israel withdrew from the territory, Hamas was elected to govern the area. No elections have been held in Gaza since.

Israeli armed forces have launched a counteroffensive against Hamas, which currently governs Gaza, after Hamas launches a deadly and brutal attack against Israel last weekend. Since then, the war has claimed more than 3,600 lives across Israel and Gaza.

Israel has called for 1 million people in Gaza to evacuate to its southern end. U.S. officials said Sunday they have been working to assist Americans looking to leave the Gaza Strip and the West Bank but that no Americans have been able get out that they know of.

FULL STORY

THEHILL-250.png

There's no serious talk in Israel about an 'occupation' of the Gaza Strip. No one in his right mind wants this. Some hard core right wing elements, yes - but I think it's against general public sentiment.

One of the risks associated with the upcoming ground move by Israel, is that it can get bogged down there, which would imply needing to deal with needs of the local populace etc. - again, not a responsibility Israel or Israelis care to shoulder.

With Egypt not being interested in taking charge of the Strip, and international cooperation bound to result in a mess, the obvious candidate would be the Palestinian Authority. They would certainly love getting back control of Gaza, but maybe not so much being seen as 'collaborators' and such.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Biden was barely sentient in this interview. Even so, listen to Scott Pelley cover for him even BEFORE the interview started. Setting expectations nice and low...

Really? I saw the excerpts of the interview along with a transcript of it. Can you point to the comments that demonstrate Biden was barely sentient in this interview? Here's the link:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/president-joe-biden-2023-60-minutes-transcript/

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Really? I saw the excerpts of the interview along with a transcript of it. Can you point to the comments that demonstrate Biden was barely sentient in this interview? Here's the link:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/president-joe-biden-2023-60-minutes-transcript/

The transcript doesn't do justice to the interview. Watch and cringe as Joe stumbles over answers, repeats himself, and gets lost.  Even with CBS trying to manage expectations, it was bad.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Hanaguma said:

The transcript doesn't do justice to the interview. Watch and cringe as Joe stumbles over answers, repeats himself, and gets lost.  Even with CBS trying to manage expectations, it was bad.

The words don't do justice? Really? So the words in the transcript make sense, but when one hears them spoken, they don't? You might want to look closer to home when making claims about cognitive deficiencies.

• Like 1

FWIW in my opinion the USA should stay out of the area altogether.

Upsetting Israel is one thing, upsetting a lot of other Arab countries will be a whole lot worse and far more expensive to the USA, the UK, the EU and the rest of the world.

If Israel DOES invade Gaza what can the US do to stop them?

If President Biden sends the US military in, the response to US body bags brought back to the US will cripple him and he will be attacked by both the Democrats AND the GOP.

Whatever he does next he will be fracked.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I am fairly sure Israel will annex the Northern part of the Gaza strip.  It more than halves their border with Gaza for a start and it punishes Hamas and that punishment like the proverbial rolls downhill to the Palestinians.

What cemented it for me, was Israel bombing the hospital, I am fairly sure they did do that, adio analysis seems to suggest it came from Israel and it had to go for annexation to go ahead.

I'm fairly sure that other than in your post, this wasn't aired as a serious possibility. Would not address any security concern, and would only undermine Israel's position. There were a couple of posts with a detailed take on the upcoming Israeli moves linked onparallel topics) - the only mention of something like that was as in what not to do.

It's more and more acknowledged that Israel did not bomb the hospital. There was no evidence presented to support this claim from the start.

Edited by Morch
typos
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

How is it false? I said it will pay off in the long run, yes? The thing with Israel will cool down and he'll release it again, but not doubt they'll have to promise not to use it to fund any terrorists until after the election. 

And I said hamas and Iran:

Biden announces $100 million in humanitarian aid to Gaza and West Bank - POLITICO

Wonder who will get this...

Do you evidence to show that Hamas will involved in its distribution distributing it?

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

How is it false? I said it will pay off in the long run, yes? The thing with Israel will cool down and he'll release it again, but not doubt they'll have to promise not to use it to fund any terrorists until after the election. 

And I said hamas and Iran:

Biden announces $100 million in humanitarian aid to Gaza and West Bank - POLITICO

Wonder who will get this...

You said the funding will pay off in the long run not that the funding will be paid in the long run. 

• Like 1

Just now, placeholder said:

You said the funding will pay off in the long run not that the funding will be paid in the long run. 

And it will pay off in the long run. Nothing you have said Mr. Links has said it wouldn't. 

In any event, he tried to give to them, and they'd be spending it now but for those pesky Jews. 

So, what do you think, $20 billion to hamas for the 20 American hostages?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

And it will pay off in the long run. Nothing you have said Mr. Links has said it wouldn't. 

In any event, he tried to give to them, and they'd be spending it now but for those pesky Jews. 

So, what do you think, $20 billion to hamas for the 20 American hostages?

Pesky Jews? Really?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/16/2023 at 4:31 PM, Hanaguma said:

He lost his marbles years ago

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, placeholder said:

That's your answer for assigning responsibility for this to Jews? And pesky ones at that? It is to laugh.

No, you are just like nit-picking, because you really have got nothing, except for making excuses for the executioners of pensioners, women and children....... 😠

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, transam said:

No, you are just like nit-picking, because you really have got nothing, except for making excuses for the executioners of pensioners, women and children....... 😠

By both sides of this debacle.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, placeholder said:

That's your answer for assigning responsibility for this to Jews? And pesky ones at that? It is to laugh.

Biden tried to give/release $6B (or was it $8B?) to Iran, and has since tried to take it back/re-freeze it.

Why do you think that is if not because of the Jews?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

You don't know what an executioner is then........:huh:

Do you want me to tell you.........?  🤔

What I was trying to convey was that both sides have committed atrocities/murders on each other whether by incursions or bombings etc over the years.

Edited by xylophone

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Biden is right.

Biden's leadership on both Ukraine and Israel have been his finest hours.

He's a very good if not great president.

Too bad about the optics of him looking so frail.

So it won't help him politically.

I don't think he's a great president, not even very good. But good enough. Way better than the the other guy.

Anyway, the Israeli public is in love. Not just the actual support. But the way he related to people on his visit. Many comparisons as to how Netanyhu comes out like a 'fake' in such situations. Plus, Israelis are a hugging breed....