Condition for Using Digital Money Changed from Distance to Area

snoop1130

1697622978_024950-tnamcot-768x576.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 18 (TNA) – Deputy Finance Minister has disclosed no conclusive decision on the Digital Wallet project has been reached but the condition for using digital money within a 4-kilometer radius has been changed.

After a joint meeting with Deputy Finance Minister Julapun Amornvivat, Deputy Chairman of Commission on Monetary, Finance, Banking and Financial Institutions Wiraphop Viriyaroj said that the project is still under review by the government-appointed subcommittee.

Regarding the conditions for using digital money within a 4-kilometer radius, the deputy minister clarified that the 4-kilometer condition did not include in the Digital Wallet steering subcommittee’s discussion, but they were now considering the new condition which could involve specifying areas at the sub-district, district, or provincial level instead of the 4- kilometer distance.

Full story: Thai News Agency 2023-10-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

They appear to be "Winging it" on this Digital Wallet scheme.

Makes sense, they only came up with it a month before the election.

You'd think they'd have had some savvy team working on the implementation since then, but no, of course they haven't.

This one will get ugly, and stay ugly.

Srettha, and others involved, should make sure he has some sort of legal guarantees/indemnification re: future prosecution.

I can see this thing being litigated for a few decades going forward. Although I expect some judicial interference prior to implementation.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, wuffe said:

Anyone who thinks this whole idea originates from Thailand need to read up on things like Central Bank of Digital Currencies, WEF, Project2030, Smart Contracts etc.

Yep, let's you know who is backing this Govt. Digital "money" that can only be spent near to your home; has an expiry date, and can only be used at mega-corporation outlets. Your "carbon credits" assessed as you spend, etc.

It's basically using your supposed wealth and assets against you.

• Like 1

The 4k rule was ridicules  in the first place, there are people living past me about 5klm from the nearest shop.

10k will be spent on anything they want, with the help of store owners and friends, just a scam waiting to happen. 

sell me 9 1k bottles of whiskey charge me 10k will not be a problem. 

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

The 4k rule was ridicules  in the first place, there are people living past me about 5klm from the nearest shop.

10k will be spent on anything they want, with the help of store owners and friends, just a scam waiting to happen. 

sell me 9 1k bottles of whiskey charge me 10k will not be a problem. 

Clearly.  Loan sharks will get on this offering advance cash of 5,000 now for your digital wallet in February. If store owners can't wangle selling whisky, trade 10,000 worth of soap powder, pampers, milk etc for 7,000 baht worth of whisky with a neighbour.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Why not make it national for convenience of Thai migrant workers in cities.

ATM cards aren't even national without being charged a inter-provincial fee. You do, however, raise a valid point. Thailand is a country where a large % of the population works/lives outside of their home province.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The 10,000 baht will never be allowed to be cashed out. It will remain in the digital financial ecosystem circulating forever. The effect is to narrow choices to a few national chains operating across the country. Think 7-Eleven. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1