I have enough of it, what are my options?

Confuscious

5 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Since the last upgrade of Windows 11, I gave up and look for someting else.

sorry, haven't used Linux.

but still using Windows 10 and do not have the issues you are having.

support for Windows 10 goes until 2025 I think.

maybe revert back to Windows 10 and install Linux to familiarlize yourself with Linux and then switch entirely to Linux in 2025 or sth. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

The problem with the latest windows 11 update is that every time windows detects that you have been changing applications that are not allowed to be removed, Windows puts them back.

I havent used Windows 11, but there might be a way to disable default apps. 

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-11/how-to-disable-startup-programs-in-windows-11-3-ways/m-p/3249863

2 hours ago, huahinjoe said:

I was a Windows fan for a long time but I'm suggesting to look into Macbook Air, pretty much pleased with it in the past 12 years, good hardware-software combination, maybe you could sell your old pc and buy a new or second hand Mac, I only had to change battery and charger by myself so far in the past 12 years, and it's working superbly for the tasks I needed for personal and work related stuff.

dude you've have a MacBook air for 12 years? respect.

I just replaced the battery in a MBA from 2011 and installed the latest OS it could run (mistake probably) and I must say it's dog slow compared to my new MacBook Pro M1. I thought I could use it for something because it has such a nice size and feel but it's too painfully slow to do real work.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

I defragment every week ... it is no longer called that it is now called trimming

Actually that is no longer true as most spinning HDD's have supported Trim for about 8 years. All of my spinners do. And it does reduce the need to defrag. Most welcome on my 8+ TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro's.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, transam said:

I haven't got EDGE on my PC.......

You have made 58 posts in 10 years, and you're complaining..........🤣

Yes ,that should be a good thing,  You 62 K posts in 16 years , with lots of complaints , just

because I don't complain a lot does not mean I am not a regular here, and the quality of the

content here has hit a low point......

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Love It 1

43 minutes ago, Countryman said:

Yes ,that should be a good thing,  You 62 K posts in 16 years , with lots of complaints , just

because I don't complain a lot does not mean I am not a regular here, and the quality of the

content here has hit a low point......

Actually, I am on near 81,000 posts in near 17 years, to me you are not a regular here, regulars post on threads with info, opinions or whatever they like....😉

For all I/we know, you may have 2 accounts, where you are a"regular" on the other one, there are some here that do that, though it is very naughty....🤭

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Strange what you write about W11, Confuscious. I come from XP and I got used to W11 . You can totally get rid of all the forced Microsoft ads and news . Edge is ok , it is not forced , I like it better than firefox. Photo is not that bad. I haven’t found anything better. Video and audio all open in potplayer or MPE-BE , I deleted all the W11 audio and videoplayers. Much of the bloat and crapware can be uninstalled. You don’t need a Microsoft account either.

W11 updates can be blocked , even in home version with a good firewall.

I’ve tried Linux Mint and Zorin OS ,and as much as I hate Microsoft , I was glad to re-install W11.

If you get annoyed by W11 , you’ll be even more annoyed by linux. If you have a new computer , linux will not fully support all your hardware.

On 10/21/2023 at 4:30 PM, The Fugitive said:

Agree that Linux Mint is the easiest Linux distro for a Windows user to migrate to. Easy to install, very logical instructions and everything works just as it should. However, many people have voiced the same complaints as the OP. There are such things as 'Community Editions' of Windows Operating Systems available for free download from well known, long established websites with experienced and most helpful contributors. I am presently using a superb fully updated edition of Windows 11 X-Lite with all the nuisances removed, very responsive and idles as light as Windows 7.   

This begs the question of why on earth one should have to rely on community forums to find a version of Windows which is not burdened with all the fatware inherent in the brand.

Remember John Hurt's line in Margin Call, " a steaming pile of excrement"?

Reminds me of Windows.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, FlorC said:

Strange what you write about W11, Confuscious. I come from XP and I got used to W11 . You can totally get rid of all the forced Microsoft ads and news . Edge is ok , it is not forced , I like it better than firefox. Photo is not that bad. I haven’t found anything better. Video and audio all open in potplayer or MPE-BE , I deleted all the W11 audio and videoplayers. Much of the bloat and crapware can be uninstalled. You don’t need a Microsoft account either.

W11 updates can be blocked , even in home version with a good firewall.

I’ve tried Linux Mint and Zorin OS ,and as much as I hate Microsoft , I was glad to re-install W11.

If you get annoyed by W11 , you’ll be even more annoyed by linux. If you have a new computer , linux will not fully support all your hardware.

MS-Edge and some other MS software can not be removed since the last Windows update.

You can read that in many Google questions and the MS site itself.

MS-Edge and some other programs are now embedded in the OS and when removed Windows will go on error.

The last Windows update has elevated most programs to WEB programs and are now part of the MS WEB.

Thus paving the road for Windows 12 that will be completely WEB based OS.

Agree, you can chose to run a lower version of windows and "enjoy" it.

But most software packages are upgrading as well and most of them with the same behavior as Win 11.

All software is evolving to web based programs which can only run ONLINE.

Chrome and Google have already jump on the bandwagon.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

This begs the question of why on earth one should have to rely on community forums to find a version of Windows which is not burdened with all the fatware inherent in the brand.

Remember John Hurt's line in Margin Call, " a steaming pile of excrement"?

Reminds me of Windows.

Boring. I've used a couple of GNU/Linux distros including your precious Mint and found them sorely lacking in many respects. Especially when it comes to using then with a TV or trying to set up a VPN properly. The native tools just don't cut it and the alleged help forums are complete garbage.

It was fun for a minute or two to try a few terminal commands but eventually I hit roadblocks that couldn't be solved without a computer science degree or couldn't be solved at all.

You keep banging on about how GNU/Linux distros are free and why would you pay for an OS. Yet you can but a Win 10/11 Pro OEM key from a reseller for next to nothing.

I'm not an M$/Windoze fanboi but despite its flaws it's still streets ahead of any GNU/Linux-based OS in terms of ease of use and feature-rich third-party software.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Boring. I've used a couple of GNU/Linux distros including your precious Mint and found them sorely lacking in many respects. Especially when it comes to using then with a TV or trying to set up a VPN properly. The native tools just don't cut it and the alleged help forums are complete garbage.

It was fun for a minute or two to try a few terminal commands but eventually I hit roadblocks that couldn't be solved without a computer science degree or couldn't be solved at all.

You keep banging on about how GNU/Linux distros are free and why would you pay for an OS. Yet you can but a Win 10/11 Pro OEM key from a reseller for next to nothing.

I'm not an M$/Windoze fanboi but despite its flaws it's still streets ahead of any GNU/Linux-based OS in terms of ease of use and feature-rich third-party software.

I agree with you on the Linux OS, but Windows has changed a lot with their latest upgrade and why not trying to go to a Dual-Boot system where the user can decide for themselves if they want to continue to being forced to use a Micro<deleted> program or have the freedom to chose for a better program?

By the way, Apple OS is based on Linux and is still considered as a lot better OS than Windows.

6 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

If you want to bang on about how wonderful Windows is in comparison to Linux, it's not my experience.

Years ago, when I was one of the Windows sheeple, I had 34 data breaches, and one laptop which was so thoroughly compromised by a virus it had to be scrapped.

I have never had a data breach on Linux. 

Most people know Windows is under constant attack by hackers, a point which seems to be missing from your analysis.

• Love It 1

12 hours ago, Confuscious said:

MS-Edge and some other MS software can not be removed since the last Windows update.

You can read that in many Google questions and the MS site itself.

MS-Edge and some other programs are now embedded in the OS and when removed Windows will go on error.

The last Windows update has elevated most programs to WEB programs and are now part of the MS WEB.

Thus paving the road for Windows 12 that will be completely WEB based OS.

Agree, you can chose to run a lower version of windows and "enjoy" it.

But most software packages are upgrading as well and most of them with the same behavior as Win 11.

All software is evolving to web based programs which can only run ONLINE.

Chrome and Google have already jump on the bandwagon.

Good to know , I'll stick with 22621.1928.

Even if I wouldn't use Edge , it is good to have it as a backup if there is a problem with the other browsers you use.

"The last Windows update has elevated most programs to WEB programs and are now part of the MS WEB."

Wich ones ?

Linux like some posters recommend is very frustrating and disappointing. It is with good reason that after decades and a million distro's, linux is still nowhere on desktop computing for the masses.  Try it  and you'll find out for youself.

Untill 5 years ago, I was using Windows 7 and Ubuntu as a Virtual Machine.
On booting, Ubuntu (which was saved as an ISO file), was extracted as a live CD drive and was fully operational alongside Windows.
I might go back to that setup (maybe a clean Windows 11 old version and disable updates).

1 hour ago, FlorC said:

Good to know , I'll stick with 22621.1928.

Even if I wouldn't use Edge , it is good to have it as a backup if there is a problem with the other browsers you use.

"The last Windows update has elevated most programs to WEB programs and are now part of the MS WEB."

Wich ones ?

Linux like some posters recommend is very frustrating and disappointing. It is with good reason that after decades and a million distro's, linux is still nowhere on desktop computing for the masses.  Try it  and you'll find out for youself.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/27/23775117/microsoft-windows-11-cloud-consumer-strategy

https://www.pcworld.com/article/1969519/microsoft-is-working-on-a-cloud-based-windows-os.html#:~:text=New internal documents revealed by,could be in Windows' future.&text=“The cloud” was a big,Everything would be accessible everywhere.

https://www.lifewire.com/microsoft-windows-11-cloud-7555137

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/education/windows/windows-11-se-overview

That would not be good. We will not have any control left , when it is in the cloud.

I'll keep my installer on USB drive then so I can keep my older version.

History repeats itself for me . No updating my XP from 2011 on , now no updating of W11 . Still better than Linux.

58 minutes ago, FlorC said:

That would not be good. We will not have any control left , when it is in the cloud.

History repeats itself for me . No updating my XP from 2011 on , now no updating of W11 . Still better than Linux.

Windows. 7 was the best OS from Micro<deleted>

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, FlorC said:

If you are a Windows XP fan, you will surely like the version from Hiren's boot cd.

It's a stripped version which only occupies 1 GB.

Could contain:

Edited by Confuscious
Added link

^ I can't find it on that site . You mean running XP on a new computer ?

XP has not been written off. Next year I go to europe where my 2nd hand identical twin computer is and make 1 from the 2. I still have the original XP install cd and all the drivers/progr and MS (wanted) updates.

I still need that computer to access my TrueCrypts.

Truecrypt volumes crash my W11 , in truecrypt , or veracrypt in truecrypt mode. 

I hear a lot that W7 was the best. I didn't like it and stayed with XP till begin 2023. Still like it better.

2 hours ago, FlorC said:

^ I can't find it on that site . You mean running XP on a new computer ?

XP has not been written off. Next year I go to europe where my 2nd hand identical twin computer is and make 1 from the 2. I still have the original XP install cd and all the drivers/progr and MS (wanted) updates.

I still need that computer to access my TrueCrypts.

Truecrypt volumes crash my W11 , in truecrypt , or veracrypt in truecrypt mode. 

I hear a lot that W7 was the best. I didn't like it and stayed with XP till begin 2023. Still like it better.

Hiren's boot cd can be found easily in Google.
Hiren's boot CD is an ISO file, filled with tools and programs to repair/recover and OS.
Including Linux.
And its free!!
The older versions (which are still available and can be found in RUFUS) include a MINI-XP version which is fully operational and takes only 1 GB, disk space.
It can run directly from a pen drive (= Memory Stick).

This is ideal if you want to run Windows XP for whatever reason, but don't want to install it.

https://www.hirensbootcd.org/files/Hirens.BootCD.10.4.zip