What do we think of this from MG ?

Just now, KhunLA said:

Nice toy to have, IF, wanting to add another car to one's collection.  Or if just wanting to be a bit sporty & stylish when going from point A - B.

Impractical for myself, as I'd never use the convertible aspect of it here/TH.  

Pretty damn awesome though ... with added plus of being yet another fine product from CH, instead of crap from the UK, thankfully 😁

Strange they named it MG after "your" UK crap quote, isn't it, very strange....:unsure:

Perhaps you being from the USA don't have a clue, eh.....😂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Strange they named it MG after "your" UK crap quote, isn't it, very strange....:unsure:

Perhaps you being from the USA don't have a clue, eh.....😂

No,  MG (the company) named the vehicle the Cyberster.

Much the same as Toyota naming a car a Yaris or Ford naming a car the Fiesta.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Er - AFAIK there is more to building a car than just steel.

You think the Japanese and Koreans are importing car components from China? They would probably sooner chew razor blades.

1 hour ago, retarius said:

No when MG were British they were a by-word for low quality crap, same as anything from British Leyland. I had a 1968 MGB for about 25 years in the US, 144,000 original miles, great fun to drive in the summer with the top down, but what an awfully hard drive and foul suspension. You were totally exhausted after driving it for 10 minutes around the post-winter, pot-holed US roads but nice on decent roads.

That's a reflection of crappy US infrastructure, not MGBs.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I think it's fair to accept that there are 2 leaders in EV technology, one is Tesla, the other is China.

I doubt Tesla will keep up.  People won't want aging designs, Models S,3,X,Y they want a new design every few years.  IMHO, China is already overtaking Tesla.

The jury is still out on whether Chinese cars have the same reliability as the Japanese and Korean brands. The Honda Accord of the 2000's had an awesome reputation.

LDV in Australia has already achieved the cachet of worst s!!tbox for rust.

1 hour ago, retarius said:

like the Japanese cars of old (70s and early 80s), these Chinese cars might not be a quality  build.

I had cars/truck from JP in 70s & 80s, and were fine products.  Choose wisely & smile.

Choose poorly & have regrets ... UP2U

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The jury is still out on whether Chinese cars have the same reliability as the Japanese and Korean brands. The Honda Accord of the 2000's had an awesome reputation.

LDV in Australia has already achieved the cachet of worst s!!tbox for rust.

Not really, and cars from CH have a long track record.  Cars from JP have been using their reputation as being better than US or EU/UK cars, which really doesn't say much.  

They've used up that clout, and it really no longer applies, as they've been called out so many times now for poor quality, the reputation is only good on ignorant people.

Just now, KhunLA said:

I had cars/truck from JP in 70s & 80s, and were fine products.  Choose wisely & smile.

Choose poorly & have regrets ... UP2U

Maybe it was the damp climate or the salty roads......but Datsuns rotted before your very eyes and before you could get the Polyfilla in. The Honda Accord and the Datsun Bluebird were the first decent Japanese cars to be marketed in the UK. They set new standards of what a consumer could expect from a car company, that British Leyland simply couldn't meet. The propaganda blamed the unions but, it was poor design and poor engineering that management encouraged that did BL in.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, retarius said:

Maybe it was the damp climate or the salty roads......but Datsuns rotted before your very eyes and before you could get the Polyfilla in. The Honda Accord and the Datsun Bluebird were the first decent Japanese cars to be marketed in the UK. They set new standards of what a consumer could expect from a car company, that British Leyland simply couldn't meet. The propaganda blamed the unions but, it was poor design and poor engineering that management encouraged that did BL in.

And yet, 2 of my first car/truck from JP were Datsun, and served my well.  Both inexpensive entry level, but didn't take anything away from the quality.

Along with another Nissan bought later that I loved to drive.

The two worst cars I ever drove were an old Nissan Pulsar (which was new) and an MG Z.  The Pulsar was a long time ago (rental car) and I never throught that it would be 'bettered' - but the MG Z that I rented for 2 weeks did the trick.The way that I look at it, all brands have a few 'duds' - even Mercedes screwed up with the original As and Bs. But going forward, I aint likely to ever get an MG - especially this showroom monstrosity - sorry mate.

44 minutes ago, transam said:

No, that is your assumption......😉....🤭

It used to be said one bought two Jaguars, as one was guaranteed to be in the service shop being fixed.

I still remember one Austin - a Westminster or similar name - that still had wire mechanical brakes when everyone else had gone to hydraulics.

Who could forget the Hillman Imp, which went from terminal understeer to lethal oversteer on a small change in tyre pressure? Or the first Ford Prefect?