savannakhet now require bank statement (400k) for 1 year multi visa (non-O marriage or Thai family)

Do I need to show 400k in the bank for the initial non o visa based on having a Thai child? I don't mean the yearly renewal in country. I mean just going to Laos, Cambodia or Malaysia and applying for the 90 day single entry? Also....is that single entry o visa extendable by another 60 day?  Some sort of family extension because you're married or have a Thai child. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2024 at 7:12 PM, spencerh1982 said:

Do I need to show 400k in the bank for the initial non o visa based on having a Thai child? I don't mean the yearly renewal in country. I mean just going to Laos, Cambodia or Malaysia and applying for the 90 day single entry? Also....is that single entry o visa extendable by another 60 day?  Some sort of family extension because you're married or have a Thai child. 

1. I think you only need 200k for Thai child? But, yes, (non-seasoned) money is required everywhere now ... except perhaps Ho Chi Min city.

2. The 60-day extension is allowed on the back of any type of visa (and on top of visa exemption too).

1 hour ago, Robert Paulson said:

Do these one year non o Multiple entry start the “one year” on the application approval date or is it the date you first enter Thailand? 

Date issued by Consulate.  But an entry on last day of validity still gets a new 90 day stay.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, judokrab said:

1. I think you only need 200k for Thai child? But, yes, (non-seasoned) money is required everywhere now ... except perhaps Ho Chi Min city.

2. The 60-day extension is allowed on the back of any type of visa (and on top of visa exemption too).

200k for a child? How you even come up with this. It is 400K, always has been. Anyway, Thailand should feel really really ashamed, for requiring such a amount of money, to only obtain a 90 day visiting visa that is for people their own children. It makes just ZERO sense. 

Anyway, most people photoshop it without issues, is not like they can check anything anyway. Which in a way, makes it even more pathetic. Same for them telling tourists, that they can not qualify for a tourist visa, because they plan to stay in the same city or island for the entire duration with their booking.

These people, just really, anywhere, in Thailand, have little to no brains for sure. There can't be any debate about that anymore at this stage. It's easier to obtain a tourist or muay thai visa than it is for a legit parent, without 400K, to obtain a 90 day visa. Only in Thailand.

Maybe the origin of having few working brain cells is exactly that, too much muay thai in the past.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to Savannakhet next week to get a multi-non-o marriage visa next week, have all the documents ready, and I will deposit 400k 4-5 days before I leave, the fund does not need to sit 60 days am I correct on this?

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2024 at 12:11 AM, jacey said:

I'm going to Savannakhet next week to get a multi-non-o marriage visa next week, have all the documents ready, and I will deposit 400k 4-5 days before I leave, the fund does not need to sit 60 days am I correct on this?

Correct.

Your visit was over 3 weeks ago. How did it go?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

trying to apply for e visa online.

no option for multi non o, just single entry. Still it's asking me for 400,000 money in the bank. strange.

does it have to be Thai bank? no other currency specified.

• Sad 1

On 1/11/2024 at 9:56 AM, Robert Paulson said:

Can anyone explain why, when I go to my home country, getting a multiple non o based on marriage is easy as pie, and then if I am in asia, the degree of difficulty increases dramatically. I mean you probably can’t but I’d be curious if anyone was willing to take a shot at this. It’s the same people in charge. Why are they so lenient when you’re at home. It makes no sense whatsoever to me but I’m not Thai. 

What's the difference with Savannakhet? Getting a non O multiple entry there couldn't be easier. While there is now a financial requirement, this has been in place at consulates in most other countries for years. Please explain how getting a non O multiple entry marriage visa is easier back home than in Savannakhet because I'm pretty sure it isn't.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Highlandman said:

What's the difference with Savannakhet? Getting a non O multiple entry there couldn't be easier. While there is now a financial requirement, this has been in place at consulates in most other countries for years. Please explain how getting a non O multiple entry marriage visa is easier back home than in Savannakhet because I'm pretty sure it isn't.

It’s way easier. There’s no financial requirement, they aren’t as flippant on what they can suddenly ask you for on the spot (meaning their document list is more official), and I could even do it without even leaving my house if I want to via mail. Not to mention I don’t have to drive across an entire nation and enter mad max country. No border hassles, no bs 100 baht fees or overpriced motorbikes. I can’t speak for every consulate of course. 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

It’s way easier. There’s no financial requirement, they aren’t as flippant on what they can suddenly ask you for on the spot (meaning their document list is more official), and I could even do it without even leaving my house if I want to via mail. Not to mention I don’t have to drive across an entire nation and enter mad max country. No border hassles, no bs 100 baht fees or overpriced motorbikes. I can’t speak for every consulate of course. 

"Overpriced motorbikes"..........You poor thing..............😂

• Confused 1

With specific regard to the one-year MENO (Thai family) visa at Savanakhet: what's the most up-to-date and confirmed information regarding the proof of 400,000 baht.

Can it be in an overseas (non-Thai) bank account?

Or does it have to be in a Thai bank account ONLY?

On 3/11/2024 at 8:27 PM, Robert Paulson said:

In what country are you in? I thought every western country now imposes a financial requirement to apply for a marriage visa. In fact, Savannakhet was one of the last ones to impose it.

On 3/16/2024 at 7:41 AM, NanLaew said:

With specific regard to the one-year MENO (Thai family) visa at Savanakhet: what's the most up-to-date and confirmed information regarding the proof of 400,000 baht.

Can it be in an overseas (non-Thai) bank account?

Or does it have to be in a Thai bank account ONLY?

The consensus is either a Thai or foreign bank account is fine.

On 3/22/2024 at 7:13 PM, Highlandman said:

In what country are you in? I thought every western country now imposes a financial requirement to apply for a marriage visa. In fact, Savannakhet was one of the last ones to impose it.

Last time I was at my consulate in usa I believe there was a financial requirement but it was something silly like 1000 dollars. It could have changed. 

The report by Tod Daniels (quoting contacts in the visa run business to Savannakhet) is the only confirmation I can find that foreign bank accounts are acceptable.

I can find no confirmation from anyone that has actually done it or been refused using money in a foreign bank.

My MENO runs out in June so it would be nice to get confirmation from someone who has actually done it before I go.

I emailed the Consulate last night for clarification so I will let you know what they say.

They are saying Thai Bank only.

Its possible they will accept a foreign bank account unofficially and don't want to acknowledge this in an official email reply but I doubt it. I have replied again saying I don't have a Thai bank account as I live and work in the UK and use this visa to visit my Thai wife and child multiple times a year so is it possible to use a UK bank?

See what they say but I'm not hopeful. Screenshot_20240326_090321_Gmail.thumb.jpg.47a3a3ed93381eaeef8533fc4b0c17bb.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2024 at 8:27 PM, Robert Paulson said:

best of luck trying to get a multiple entry non immigrant visa based on marriage to a Thai  from the UK e visa website   They stopped issuing them over 6 months ago.  Single entry only now,  ( unless things have changed again)      What country are you from?

15 minutes ago, RC8 said:

They are saying Thai Bank only.

Its possible they will accept a foreign bank account unofficially and don't want to acknowledge this in an official email reply but I doubt it. I have replied again saying I don't have a Thai bank account as I live and work in the UK and use this visa to visit my Thai wife and child multiple times a year so is it possible to use a UK bank?

See what they say but I'm not hopeful. Screenshot_20240326_090321_Gmail.thumb.jpg.47a3a3ed93381eaeef8533fc4b0c17bb.jpg

It seems those who have obtained a Non-O at Sav have not had to have 400k in the bank for 2 months..........:unsure:

On 3/22/2024 at 7:13 PM, Highlandman said:

As far as I am aware western countries only offer single entry non O visas based on marriage,   in the uk they want to see £10,000  , At least that was the situation 6 months ago things may have changed

5 minutes ago, transam said:

It seems those who have obtained a Non-O at Sav have not had to have 400k in the bank for 2 months..........:unsure:

Yes, I have seen that also. That's why I think there is a slim chance of them accepting a foreign bank account as well but in official correspondence they stick to the official line (Thai Bank, 2 months). I don't live far from the border so I may go and try it with uk bank details before my visa expires, leaves me time to go again later with Thai bank account. 

On 10/24/2023 at 7:19 AM, Toby1947 said:

No falang speaks Thai well, just ask any Thai. you're dreaming 

Not true, I know a few that speak Thai fluently - one of those reads and writes Thai and corrects his wife on her speech. When my girlfriend heard him talking she was quite shocked and said he has no foreign accent at all.

There are not so many that speak Thai so well but to say no foreigners speak Thai well is plain wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, RC8 said:

Yes, I have seen that also. That's why I think there is a slim chance of them accepting a foreign bank account as well but in official correspondence they stick to the official line (Thai Bank, 2 months). I don't live far from the border so I may go and try it with uk bank details before my visa expires, leaves me time to go again later with Thai bank account. 

They won't. I emailed them. It took them a hell of a long time (and 2 reminders) to reply but they did just last week. They are adamant that the money must be in a Thai account.

They failed to answer my question as to which immigration rule requires 400,000 in the bank for a MENO though.

14 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

They failed to answer my question as to which immigration rule requires 400,000 in the bank for a MENO though.

That's because Immigration have nothing to do with the external affairs of the Thai Embassies overseas. Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs are responsible for the Thai Embassies/Consulates.
Thai Immigration rules are applicable within Thailand.

The Thai Embassy applies the rules and requirements to obtain visas.

On 3/27/2024 at 7:51 AM, Liquorice said:

That's because Immigration have nothing to do with the external affairs of the Thai Embassies overseas. Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs are responsible for the Thai Embassies/Consulates.
Thai Immigration rules are applicable within Thailand.

The Thai Embassy applies the rules and requirements to obtain visas.

All of my e-mails have been copied to consular.complaint AT mfa.go.th

Edited by Rimmer
email address edited per forum rules

20 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

All of my e-mails have been copied to consular.complaint AT mfa.go.th

Why cause trouble. If Savannakhet consulate are easy going and allow visas with lax regulations why attract attention. If you notify MFA maybe next thing is they will inspect Savannakhet and their regulations will tighten.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Tingnongnoi said:

anyone have any recent experience of applying for a single entry 90 day NON-O there, do they ask for the 400,000 for that aswell or still not needed?

Not recent experience but in their reply to me, Savannakhet stated that If I didn't have 400,000 in a Thai bank account, I could apply for a single entry.

However, you can usually get a single entry by application to your home country.

Edited by MangoKorat