Public Penalty Act: no imprisonment for minor offences, fines only

snoop1130

1 minute ago, HappyExpat57 said:

This is MY opinion, nothing to really back it up, but I think the BiB were getting sick of having videos taken when they were extorting cash on the roads and being called out for it. This now makes it OK.

Everyone seems to be focusing on traffic offences and those police, I thought this was more about non-traffic related matters. I am still of the impression if I get pulled over for a traffic offence, I should NOT pay the officer, but would need to go pay at the police station.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

ensures that individuals won’t face imprisonment or detention in lieu of fines and that their offences will not be recorded in their criminal history.

That is a good thing .

Everybody should be happy about this .

If , ever , you've committed a misdemeanor or felony , you'd be happy to just pay and stay out of the jailhouse with no criminal records , I guess ... ?

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Public Penalty Act is a law that determines appropriate penalties or punishments in line with the severity of the offence.

The severity of the offense ... that means , fines only for minor offenses , jail time for more severe ...?

Edited by nobodysfriend

Makes complete sense if it's regarding cases that will go to court. A person shoplifting, having one joint in possession or spitting on the street (examples) would be fined and not jailed, leaving more room in jails for those arrested for harder crimes. Why waste taxpayers money incarcerating some when they can pay a fine and (maybe) learn a lesson? People in the US went to jail for possession of weed, and now it's legal in many states, and eventually will be in all. Money talks, and ignorance doesn't last forever.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Makes complete sense if it's regarding cases that will go to court. A person shoplifting,

Considering some US cities you do not get arrested for less than $1,000 (UK I think £200) I'd say chuck ALL thieves in the clink for a week for every $100/£80 they steal - if they know that the penalty is basically nothing , they'll carry on doing it all day ! First time , sure, fine them - then if they have not learned, lock them up until they do

• Thanks 1