Horrific Traffic Accident in Chonburi Results in One Fatality

webfact

18 hours ago, delgarcon said:

The lady was turning right. The guy will probably get away with it, but I reckon it was just as much, if not more, his fault. He was probably speeding, he had no front headlight and he obviously wasn't driving with due care and attention as he noticed the SUV turning right at the last minute when he then changed lanes. Some of you have been quick to call the woman an idiot, but the poor thing didn't see the oncoming mc coming.

Agreed...  This is one of those situations where both parties are complicit in the incident. 

The male rider going straight on was travelling at speed somewhat recklessly, his speed makes him complicit in his inability to avoid the accident. 

The female rider committed to the turn without ensuring the road was clear, she was complicit due to her own lack of attention and carelessness.

He was wearing a helmet, she wasn't - its quite likely this is the primary reason for her death.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Amazing how easy it is to die on the roads here.

The accident didn't look that bad, especially for the turning rider. I assumed the one who died was the one going straight as he was moving so fast and therefore would gave hit the tarmac harder.

It was the other way round - it was the lady who died - She turned right, cutting across traffic while having no line of sight and also not wearing helmet.

The man travelling straight at what appears to be 'speed' wore a helmet which probably saved his life. 

• Like 1

You gotta love how the SUV just turned the corner like nothing happened and drove off.

No <deleted> given, at all.

To be fair - when riders are so often careless that they bring so much misfortune upon themselves its difficult not to feel extremely cynical in such situations. 

We can't say what we'd do in similar situations. 

In the past I have stopped (in Hua Hin) and helped when a drunk motorcyclist hit the signpost in the central reservation at speed (I was with friends) - the motorcyclist scalped himself (no helmet) and unconscious but alive, I kept him still and waited for the ambulance, other Thai's also appeared and were helpful (responding to my requests to use the lights on their phones to signal oncoming traffic as the guy was still in the road). 

If on a dark road at night with my family in the car I'd be more conscious of stopping.

I recall driving in the afternoon (Songkran) in Kanchanaburi - the motorcyclist I was following was so clearly drunk weaving all over the road at about 20-30 kmh....  he eventually just rode off the road into the grassy field and sat up with a surprised look on his face !!..  IMO, stopping in that situation would have been a thankless task and a lot of potential hassle (although I had the incident on dash-cam)... 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 12:22 PM, Ralf001 said:

Don't care to be honest.. my point was it is nothing to do with "non policing in Pattaya"... which Iam 100% correct.

Anywho, enjoy ya busy little soi out there in the Boondocks !

We can see you don't care and we are 100% correct.

Amazing how easy it is to die on the roads here.

The accident didn't look that bad, especially for the turning rider. I assumed the one who died was the one going straight as he was moving so fast and therefore would gave hit the tarmac harder.

No - the other way round.

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It was the other way round - it was the lady who died - She turned right, cutting across traffic while having no line of sight and also not wearing helmet.

The man travelling straight at what appears to be 'speed' wore a helmet which probably saved his life. 

I know, I said it was surprising that she was the one who died.

You gotta love how the SUV just turned the corner like nothing happened and drove off.

No <deleted> given, at all.

Maybe the SUV didn't drive off but parked clear of the main road?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Here's what you wrote, lol.

I assumed the one who died was the one going straight.

Right, I was explaining that I assumed it was other guy who died because the accident appeared worse for him.

So, clearly I am aware it was the woman who died, but at first I assumed it was the other guy at first cos it appeared worse for him. 

You didn't get that? The inference seems quite clear. 

18 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Right, I was explaining that I assumed it was other guy who died because the accident appeared worse for him.

So, clearly I am aware it was the woman who died, but at first I assumed it was the other guy at first cos it appeared worse for him. 

Maybe to you. 

39 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

It wasn't clear - thats why your comment was misunderstood... 

Had you wrote the following, then it would have been clear. 

I  mistakenly assumed the one who died was the rider going straight as he was moving so fast and therefore might have hit the tarmac harder, thats until I read it was the turning female rider without a helmet who died.

52 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

I know, I said it was surprising that she was the one who died.

Where did you say (write) that ?

As the lady wasn't wearing a helmet, I'm not so surprised she died as the impact was extremely powerful, I'm only surprised the male travelling straight on at speed didn't also die. Almost certainly his helmet saved him, with a stroke of luck, though I wonder how severe his injuries are. 

Edited by richard_smith237

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:
On 10/26/2023 at 1:06 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

and the car driver not bothering to see if he/she could help but instead just driving away. 

What makes you think that the car driver "didn't bother to stop" when he got his vehicle out of the middle of the road?

Is there anything to suggest the car driver did stop ??  - or are you just going through your pedantic 'start an argument in an empty room' phase again  ??

It certainly looks as if the CRV is 'driving off' in the video and it could be argued that 'not stopping' at the scene of someone else is accident is the most common course of action in Thailand.

Such is the nature of your responses, I'm sure that if Bangkok Barry had written something about the car stopping you would have argued... 'what makes you think the car driver "did bother to stop" ? !!!....  

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How would "policing" have altered the outcome, or the instigation, of this accident?

Valid question an impossible one to answer when dealing with the individual specifics of an incident. 

However, I'll try.... 

With better policing comes better driver / rider training, greater responsibility and accountability, ultimately fewer accdients.... 

With better police enforcement on the 'whole road system' its possible any one of those riders would have been more cautious and the accident avoided in the first place. 

Of course, there are no absolutes and I know you don't like the world outside of absolutes and there is no absolute answer that for certain can say that this incident could have been avoided through better policing.

But it could have been avoided more responsible riding, and better policing leads to more responsible riding. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, roo860 said:

Didn't see if the car driver didn't stop, the video stopped short of the car completing the turn, or am I mistaken?

You're not mistaken...the posters who claim that he drove off without assisting are making it up, or have seen a different video, in which case, they'll probably post it as evidence.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
On 10/26/2023 at 1:06 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

and the car driver not bothering to see if he/she could help but instead just driving away. 

What makes you think that the car driver "didn't bother to stop" when he got his vehicle out of the middle of the road?

Is there anything to suggest the car driver did stop ?? 

Is there anything to suggest that he did not stop at the side of the road after moving his obstructing vehicle?   No, there isn't.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Is there anything to suggest that he did not stop at the side of the road after moving his obstructing vehicle?   No, there isn't.

Absolutely agree LL...   nothing in the video that shows either. 

We are left with 'opinions' on what likely happened.

Do you have an opinion on what likely happened, or are you only here to dissect comments ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

As we have the luxury of not being a court room and not being faced with irrefutable evidence...  What do you think the driver of the CRV did ?...

A) Stopped 

B) Continued

I, and everyone else here, do not know what happened after the CCTV cut off, I never posted that I do know.  I'm suggesting that no one here knows that their claims that they started that he didn't stop to help  can be corroborated.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Absolutely agree LL...   nothing in the video that shows either. 

We are left with 'opinions' on what likely happened.

Do you have an opinion on what likely happened

No, I don't speculate, my opinion of what may, or may not, have happened would be pointless.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

I, and everyone else here, do not know what happened after the CCTV cut off, I never posted that I do know.  I'm suggesting that no one here knows that their claims that they started that he didn't stop to help  can be corroborated.

Why are you claiming the driver is a 'he'..... it wasn't stated in the story that the driver of the CRV was male or female.... so do you have link to back up that the driver of the CRV was male ?? (yes, I'm just being silly)....

While I have no proof - my bet is the driver of the CRV didn't stop.....   

You'd never draw an opinion of what you think may have happened without unequivocal proof, right ?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I don't speculate, my opinion of what may, or may not, have happened would be pointless.

Isn't speculation and discussion kind of the point of a forum designed for discussion ?????

Your speculation would be as valid as anyone elses, more so with plenty of experience of living here and witnessing what happens.

IMO - its ok to suggest the car driver didn't stop, because thats how it looks. 

• Haha 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:
9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Isn't speculation and discussion kind of the point of a forum designed for discussion ?????

No, I don't believe that unfounded speculation has any place in a factual discussion.