Leaving and getting blacklisted

Just now, DrJack54 said:

OP, your friend will receive a ONE year ban and fine of 20,000b.

More than 12 month would result in 3 year ban.

Nothing untoward will occur.

Not a lot of extra time required.

Obviously needs to keep head down getting to airport

Thanks xx

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Your "friend" should make sure to get to airport immigration and not get stopped by any police on the way, or things will turn bad very quickly. Travel during the day, use mode of transport that doesn't require showing passport, avoid any kind of checkpoints that could check his documents.

Never been in that situation, just thinking out loud.

Edited by tomazbodner
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, swerve said:

Dr. Jack is correct. 20,000 baht fine to be paid at the airport and one year ban will be issued.

Could contain:

Just for clarity, I'm assuming that discovery at airport check-in / going through passport departure comes under:

"In case of Alien Surrendering to the Authorities".

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:
19 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Never been in that situation, just thinking out loud

That's a good thinking. 

If the guy can make it to Bangkok and assume flying out of BKK then rail link to airport would be my suggestion. 

Indeed - If the Op's 'friend' is outside of Bangkok the issue becomes slightly more complex with risks of passport checks...  

- In that case, it'd be worth hiding the passport and having a copy of the ID page to show just incase. 

- If within Bangkok the options are much simpler - the less 'exposure' to 'outside' the better IMO - AOT Taxi / GrabCar direct to Airport.

In reality the risk of a Policeman stopping the Op, asking for the Passport and also checking visa status is extremely rare and highly unlikely.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed - If the Op's 'friend' is outside of Bangkok the issue becomes slightly more complex with risks of passport checks...  

- In that case, it'd be worth hiding the passport and having a copy of the ID page to show just incase. 

- If within Bangkok the options are much simpler - the less 'exposure' to 'outside' the better IMO - AOT Taxi / GrabCar direct to Airport.

In reality the risk of a Policeman stopping the Op, asking for the Passport and also checking visa status is extremely rare and highly unlikely.

True, unless traveling at night or having an accident...

7 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I seem to recall a previous thread on AN where the person on overstay reported to the airport to pay the fine etc and was promptly arrested and put in the IDC!

Just saying... you can't always assume that immigration officers will stick to the  rules...

I don't think that happens if the overstay is the only offense. Maybe they couldn't find an entry record in their system and had to investigate if it wasn't a case of illegal entry.

OP, arriving at the airport before check-in for the flight out opens would be pointless, as one has to check in before going to immigration. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I seem to recall a previous thread on AN where the person on overstay reported to the airport to pay the fine etc and was promptly arrested and put in the IDC

Nup...

There would have been another reason other than overstay.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

I would allow an additional two hours, just because, you don't know. The 20k cash is a good point, record the serial numbers, just in case.

The issue of overstay only occurs at immigration (passport control) 

Some airlines have a check in window to issue boarding pass. 

Depends on the flight.

This Wednesday I was able to obtain boarding pass (DMK to Saigon) 4 hours prior to departure.

That's not always the case. 

• Haha 1

i had 12 months overstay but got an offer of a job. This was before they started the blacklisting , so , early morning i went to don Muang by taxi. I checked in - mentioned my overstay and they sent me to an immigration office where 2 ladies took my 20 000 cash and giggled a bit while i tried my excuses. They were polite, respectful and really just very nice about it. No worries, no iDC , the whole thing took 20 mins tops. No blacklisting then, I went to Kuala lumpar, got a non b and returned after 3 days away. No problems.

An american friend didthe same not so long ago, with 18 months overstay. Exactly the same but he got blacklisted. He s looking to return when his 3 years are over. He said the Immigration Officers were funny. ( ha ha funny) His comment!!

26 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

I would allow an additional two hours, just because, you don't know. The 20k cash is a good point, record the serial numbers, just in case.

No need to record serial numbers. They will get a receipt for the payment,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Correct - just a bored troll trying to trigger you. 

Advice for your 'friend'... 

- Have the cash for the overstay fine (20,000 baht).

- Be there early enough to deal with paying for the fine etc (i.e. maybe an hour earlier than usual).

- Your friend will receive a 1 year ban from re-entering Thailand (if he leaves it longer than 12 months, his ban will be for 3 years).

So, it's a bit of a hassle 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Hiding ones passport, sounds like a hassle? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Olmate said:

Hiding ones passport, sounds like a hassle? 

Not at all and a very good idea.

I never take my pp out.

I do have a photocopy of my ID page on cell and that would suffice. 

The OP is trying to get to airport that's it.

Claiming to  not have pp on him would avoid the issue. 

• Thumbs Up 1