About coffee in Thailand

gejohesch

Like so many people, I love my coffee. I could say I'm addicted to coffee 😉. I grind the beans fresh to make coffee with a Minimex espresso machine at least twice a day, first thing when I wake up, and second when I emerge from my midday nap.

My issue here is that I notice quite a difference when I use beans bought in Thailand or beans bought in Europe. I do not buy the most commercial beans (e.g. what can be found in Big C), I rather go for what I would call "specialty" beans from northern Thailand origin (I go to Makro for that purpose). The Thai beans are always very dark and shiny, which obviously indicates they are "high roast", and I find the result rather "earthy" and not very aromatic. That's why I bring coffee from Europe - obviously not "coffee grown in Europe" but coffee imported from the Americas or Africa etc - and I buy from coffee shops. A full kg bag would cost around 35-50 EUR. Those beans are always light brown and not shiny, so very different from the Thailand beans. The result is far better : less acidity, "sweeter", aromatic etc. That's the type of coffee I like and I don't mind paying extra for it!

But I cannot bring several kgs of coffee in my luggage when I come to Thailand. So, sooner or later, I have to fall back on those dark and shiny thai beans. Help!

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, scorecard said:

True and Mako does have quite some variety of good hill tribe area / royal project coffee beans and already ground and at very reasonable prices. 

Not a single hill tribe area coffee I have tried suited me, that's why I posted here. I found all that "black and shiny" dark roast type that I don't like very much.

• Thumbs Up 1

As a poster above noted, buy on Lazada. You are choosing the wrong roasts. Anything from Full City to Full City+ and onto Dark are going to be dark and shiny with oil.

There are plenty of Northern Thailand roasters selling Medium roast which are lighter brown (First Crack).

The selection at Makro is too limited for me. I often order and receive beans that were roasted just a day or two before I ordered them..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gejohesch said:

Those beans are always light brown and not shiny, so very different from the Thailand beans. The result is far better : less acidity, "sweeter", aromatic etc. That's the type of coffee I like and I don't mind paying extra for it!

Give coffee culture a try..

Plenty of choice, price is not crazy, you order the 'degree of roast'...   based on the Op - it lools like he wants to be ordering medium roast.

https://coffeeculture.asia/product/khun-chang-khian-coffee/

As an example.. 

image.png.c3a35e389db256030c88c0a55f1da8aa.png

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, bobbin said:

As a poster above noted, buy on Lazada. You are choosing the wrong roasts. Anything from Full City to Full City+ and onto Dark are going to be dark and shiny with oil.

There are plenty of Northern Thailand roasters selling Medium roast which are lighter brown (First Crack).

The selection at Makro is too limited for me. I often order and receive beans that were roasted just a day or two before I ordered them..

Thanks, I will try via Lazada then (although I don't like their site much, too "busy" and confusing)

1 hour ago, gejohesch said:

Not a single hill tribe area coffee I have tried suited me, that's why I posted here. I found all that "black and shiny" dark roast type that I don't like very much.

Well horses for courses, I really like and enjoy these beans / roasts.

• Like 2

I've tried a number of Northern roasters that advertise promotions on Facebook.  I will usually try a single 250g bag and see how I like it, usually paying no more than B300.  I especially enjoy the medium roast beans I've gotten from "RODS" however I do not claim to have a particularly discerning palate.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gejohesch said:

Thanks, I will try via Lazada then (although I don't like their site much, too "busy" and confusing)

Use the search function..  easy peasy

search medium roast full bean

Edited by bobbin
more info
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, gejohesch said:

But I cannot bring several kgs of coffee in my luggage when I come to Thailand. So, sooner or later, I have to fall back on those dark and shiny thai beans. Help!

I buy my coffee beans direct fro this company in the north of Thailand...

you can contact directly or buy through Lazada and delivered to your door.

They grow, harvest, process and roast all on site, so you buy fresh [unlike from supermarkets]

Start with this link. https://doichaangcoffee.co.th/

Edited by hotchilli
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

Maybe order from the Hillkoff website.....  

This store is located in Chiang Mai and while they do provide copious amounts of Thai coffee, they also have international speciality coffee that you can order, e.g., coffee from Colombia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Kenya, etc.

https://www.hillkoff.shop/interspecialtycoffee

I second the suggestion for Hillkoff. Their Thai Arabica, French or Italian Roast is really a very acceptable, good price coffee. Try to be convinced.