How do you think Thai people REALLY feel about Farangs?

bob smith

How do you think Thai people REALLY feel about Farangs?  

144 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, bob smith said:

.....well it seems we have a winner in the poll.

coming in at 46.15% (so far) is 'They tolerate us'

so heres to being tolerated 🍻

thanks to everyone that voted thus far.

Tolerate implies they dislike us but put up with us.

But also, tolerate is the closest to 'general indifference' and thats probably how the vast majority of the country thinks about foreigners... We just don't register on their radar, they are busy doing other things !

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

I have to agree strongly with this.

Does anybody else???

Figures.

If you forget about "they" and "us" and look at individual Thais and ourselves, it becomes clearer.

Some like me, some don't.

Same as farangs.

Calls to mind the Bruce Lee quote when asked if he thought of himself as Asian or Western, "I like to think of myself as a human being".

I know for some here that might be a stretch, both for them and for others.

In the case of the OP I would ask: have you a bit of a resentment against Thai people?

Because when people post questions like this it usually means they have a bug up their rear about something, and aren't just curious about what people think.

Edited by cdemundo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

In the case of the OP I would ask: have you a bit of a resentment against Thai people?

He most certainly does and this is yet another (of many) ways he tries to get some sort of justification and vindication to his own, less than ideal life that sees his problem as not how he is, but rather how everyone else is.  

Take guidance from one of the great 20th century philosophers Bob who wrote 'I'm starting with the man in the mirror. I'm asking him to change his ways. And no message could've been any clearer. If they wanna make the world a better place,
Take a look at yourself and then make a change'.  

Edited by johnnybangkok
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

'I'm starting with the man in the mirror. I'm asking him to change his ways. And no message could've been any clearer. If they wanna make the world a better place,
Take a look at yourself and then make a change'.  

the biggest load of rollocks ever!

• Haha 1

Just now, bob smith said:

most thais have huge egos.

Yes they have a great sense of pride and can be easily angered, they can be quite childish over little things but they are also extremely kind and are empathetic, a Thai friend or even a good acquaintance is very loyal and will go the extra mile for you if need be, granted you have to stroke them the right way. What I admire about them is how stoic they are in the face of adversity, a ruined crop will only cause him to emit "Hmmmmm" and shrug. A young man in the village lost his wife to an accident and was left with two small children, he is good looking and there were enough suitable women who would be prepared to marry him but after a year he was still alone, my missus asked him why he didn't take a new wife, he replied that nobody could love his children the way he did and he wouldn't risk having his children being ignored out of jealousy by a new wife so he can do without until they are a lot older, that impressed me.

• Like 1

Thai men hate us with a passion, they love to put down beatings on foreigners! I’ve rarely felt welcomed by a Thai man!

exact opposite in Vietnam, they have called me over to sit with them, offering me food and booze, generally happy to speak with me!

totally welcomed me!

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Two things that were never reported as being said in the media.

The Twitter profile disappeared just hours after sharing disparaging comments attributed to the minister about "dirty and shabby farangs" bringing the Covid-19 virus to Thailand.

:shock1:

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/thai-health-minister-has-a-slash-at-dirty-farang

However, none of the farang are wearing masks This is the reason our country is being infected all around. We should be more careful of the farang than Asians.”

:whistling:

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Northstar1 said:

Thai men hate us with a passion, they love to put down beatings on foreigners! I’ve rarely felt welcomed by a Thai man!

exact opposite in Vietnam, they have called me over to sit with them, offering me food and booze, generally happy to speak with me!

totally welcomed me!

Chalk and cheese! Vietnamse aren't trapped in an antiquated culture to the extent Thai's are. Vietnamese are also better educated! I give Thai men a very wide berth!