Fertility crisis set to halve Thailand’s population in six decades

webfact

7 hours ago, 2baht said:

So, the "men " have no lead in their pencil??? 🤔

Just as much lead as the country you come from or for that matter the country I come from, since the problem seems to be world wide. 

Population going down would not be so bad if it did not also affect the demographics with a higher ratio of older people  to young.  

UK birth rate 1,5

US birth rate 1.6

AU bjrth rate 1.5

The birth rate necessary to replace people that die, (Replacement rate) is 2.1 

Just now, sirineou said:

Just as much lead as the country you come from or for that matter the country I come from, since the problem seems to be world wide. 

Population going down would not be so bad if it did not also affect the demographics with a higher ratio of older people  to young.  

UK birth rate 1,5

US birth rate 1.6

AU bjrth rate 1.5

I'm on board, I've got two!

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

UK birth rate 1,5

US birth rate 1.6

AU bjrth rate 1.5

Why do we need to replace the people that died...?

We are killing ourselves via 'over-population'. Any scientist with a brain will tell you that there are not enough resources on the planet to sustain the current populations.

In fact, the science says that Earth was 'self-sustainable' at a population of 1 billion. 

You can call me names, and deny...deny...deny...! But the Human Race has basically...'missed the boat'.

'Humanity's Ship has sailed.'

https://charlierose.com/videos/19176 

7 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Thailand's thoroughly laudable contribution to a cleaner, healthier world.

Unfortunately not entirely evident in my extended Khmer family, where babies keep popping out of young women with no visible means of support (sigh).

Are you a suspect?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

This alarming situation has spurred the Ministry of Public Health to instigate measures to encourage pregnancy and subsequently manage the drastic demographic shift that the country is poised to face.

Almost every family I know are in debt to some degree or another.

They are cutting  back in every way they can, either daily consumables, luxuries, clothing general expenditure, travel etc etc.

Knocking out another child is unthinkable...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tkramer said:

because for economics to work we need a stable population. Not an increasing population, not a declining population but a stable population 

The short video below explains it better that I ever could 

13 minutes ago, tkramer said:

We are killing ourselves via 'over-population'. Any scientist with a brain will tell you that there are not enough resources on the planet to sustain the current populations.

What scientists? Many are saying overpopulation is bs 

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, sirineou said:

because for economics to work we need a stable population. Not an increasing population, not a declining population but a stable population 

The short video below explains it better that I ever could 

Elon Musk is a 'greedy' MONEY GUY. This video is all about sustaining to the global 'Ponzi Scheme'.

It has nothing to do with 'Planetary Survival'. 

However, I agree with George Carlin...'Humanity's Ship has sailed...we (you and me) missed the boat'.

Rant and Rave all you want. And please do enjoy your memories.

5 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

As long as they do not 'resort' to 'innapropriate' Immigration to rectify that situation, like the West foolishly did, then all will be well eventually.

Interestingly, the west will survive with changed demographics due to immigration, but countries like Japan, China, and Thailand are doomed.

55 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

What scientists? Many are saying overpopulation is bs 

I'm not 'many'...I am one.

But I say 'You are BS'...!

Where are you from...Kazakhstan...?

(I think your visa might be expiring soon...)

Edited by tkramer

26 minutes ago, tkramer said:

Elon Musk is a 'greedy' MONEY GUY. This video is all about sustaining to the global 'Ponzi Scheme'.

It has nothing to do with 'Planetary Survival'. 

However, I agree with George Carlin...'Humanity's Ship has sailed...we (you and me) missed the boat'.

Rant and Rave all you want. And please do enjoy your memories.

What does Elon Musk have to do with this?

This article is very misleading. There may be a crisis but it does not appear to be a fertility crisis, it appears to be a desire amongst many to simply reproduce less. The quality of life is declining for many, the ability to earn money is difficult, and people are just simply coming to their senses and not having kids as much as they used to. It's a very, very difficult time to bring kids into this world, and there are a lot of level-headed people that are either deciding not to do it at all, or deciding to just go with one kid.

This is happening in many, many countries of the world, except in Africa, where the ancient ways continue. 21 of the 22 nations with the highest birth rates are there. Woe is Africa. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

"This article is very misleading. There may be a crisis but it does not appear to be a fertility crisis, it appears to be a desire amongst many to simply reproduce less. The quality of life is declining for many, the ability to earn money is difficult, and people are just simply coming to their senses and not having kids as much as they used to. It's a very, very difficult time to bring kids into this world, and there are a lot of level-headed people that are either deciding not to do it at all, or deciding to just go with one kid.

This is happening in many, many countries of the world, except in Africa, where the ancient ways continue. 21 of the 22 nations with the highest birth rates are there. Woe is Africa." 

"This is happening in many, many countries of the world, except in Africa, where the ancient ways continue. 21 of the 22 nations with the highest birth rates are there. Woe is Africa."

No, Woe is us...!

"where the ancient ways continue"

Where more 'primitive and less resourceful' ways continue... (but I am on your side)

Edited by tkramer
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This article is very misleading. There may be a crisis but it does not appear to be a fertility crisis, it appears to be a desire amongst many to simply reproduce less. The quality of life is declining for many, the ability to earn money is difficult, and people are just simply coming to their senses and not having kids as much as they used to. It's a very, very difficult time to bring kids into this world, and there are a lot of level-headed people that are either deciding not to do it at all, or deciding to just go with one kid.

This is happening in many, many countries of the world, except in Africa, where the ancient ways continue. 21 of the 22 nations with the highest birth rates are there. Woe is Africa. 

It's striking how the idea that there are too many people in the world has established itself in the collective mind. How about abolishing the IMF and accords such as the Treaty of Lisbon, which force States to borrow their money from private capital markets with interest, and use the billions thus saved to develop infrastructure and implement natalist policies?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

It's striking how the idea that there are too many people in the world has established itself in the collective mind. How about abolishing the IMF and accords such as the Treaty of Lisbon, which force States to borrow their money from private capital markets with interest, and use the billions thus saved to develop infrastructure and implement natalist policies?

Wait...are you saying that there are NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE IN THE WORLD...?!!

There are more than 20 Cannabis dispensaries in my neighborhood,  

but I don't think ANYBODY is smoking the '<deleted>e' that you are smoking...!

• Thumbs Up 1

"It's striking how the idea that there are too many people in the world has established itself in the collective mind."

Sounds like a disease to me...!!!

Let me guess...as a student...not very good at Math...

Edited by tkramer
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

So what?  Myanmar folks will keep popping the young'uns out and in 60 years this will be ThaiMar.

Most people now reading this will be long dead.  For that matter, given the way things are going?  The only surface dwellers will be the Eloi.

• Sad 1