4am closing for nightlife will start New Year

snoop1130

“We’re doing this for the benefit of law-abiding citizens, so please refrain from drink-driving, carrying illegal weapons and dealing drugs. If everyone cooperates, we won’t have any problems, no matter how long they remain open.”

This is from the attached article. Who are they trying to kid.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Not sure if too many tourists drive or ride in entertainment areas @ 04:00, (maybe some uninsured youngies in Phuket on m/c).

Many Thai's are drunk at 4:00pm or earlier in party zones or provinces and drive/ride.

4:00am shouldn't make any difference.🙃🙃

Its not 4 AM thats the real problem

Its 8 AM-10 AM when some of these Jokers are driving about still drunk, and with little sleep ( if any ) because they need to get to work Etc 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, dinsdale said:

It will not boost tourism or the economy. This will cater to a small %.

Disagree - this will be just one of many of the changes now Thailand is no longer run by just Militarity. LOS will start to look like early 2000s when Baht rates helped tourists, when visas were easier, when Thais began to have a bit more money in pockets, when Thailand under Thaksin was more inclusive, when more farang were buying property from UK,EU & Ausie and so on. These are early signs of a renewal & Tourism will be a big winner after previous yrs of isolated government & deep impact of Covid years. 

Think there's quite a few oldies here moaning. Come on this is Tourism like Ibiza, Canaries,New York, LA,Paris, Madrid ...bars open later for younger crowd. Thailand is not just for older ex-Pats who may no longer want to stay up late. Possibly Bars/NightClubs might want to give bar staff some option to have some earlier days. gone 4.00 is late for 7 days per week. 

Edited by peter48
extra bit
  • Confused 1

"And no... Thailand hasn't shot itself in the foot at all....   The heyday for Thai tourism was when there were no rules.. back in the late 90's early 00's". Richard_Smith 

Absolutely agree - too many here have forgotten the Pre 2008 days when farangs from Europe flocked here for holidays all yr round, bought more property, it was relatively cheaper with better tourist rates, happier, dynamic, business growth, Thais got hospital care cheaper etc., 

Of course cheaper flights from big airlines would be icing on the cake. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It's unbelievable that some whiners can still find something to moan about when the government is doing something positive for once. Bars and nightclubs should be allowed to open as late as they wish, as long as they're not bothering residents. If you don't like partying till late, then don't. Why ruin the fun for those who do? It's exactly the same for the brainless cannabis argument. If you don't like it, don't use it. Don't ruin the fun for others. 

What should be heavily controlled instead, is any establishments making noise in residential areas. Let the bar owners build some proper soundproof underground nightclubs so people can have fun without disturbing others' sleep. I personally don't drink and usually go to bed at 10 pm. If I had some noisy bars around blasting music till midnight, I'd be very pissed off. Changing the hours from 2 am to 4 am makes zero difference except for those who enjoy a good night out. Also helps a tiny bit in reducing corruption as it's not like most places were adhering to the rules in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Ask any of the 1,100 owners who bought there.

Have expat friends who live there, back in 2016 the TreeTown area was much smaller, and quiet, compared to today.

Remember how few bars there was in TreeTown back in 2016 when the Base condo opened? Not many.

I don't live there, but a few expat friends do.

Open to 4am will not lead to more spending by tourists. All have a limit of alcohol intake.

Most tourists seems to go out 7-8pm for a meal, drinks, find a lady, and go back to hotel.

By 2am, a huge majority are already in their hotel.

More spending by tourists due to 4am closing time, is just a dream. Tourists still have a budget for their holiday.

The experienced tourist know that the best looking ladies has been taken out of the bars early in the evening. Yet another reason to go out early, rather than late.

Tree Town area has enough problems already. If it's not drunk tourists that create mayhem, violent security guards also make the news.

Walking Street is the only area that should be allowed to be open until 4am.

I understand what you mean, and my sympathy to the owners. But you had to realise this still central pattaya - you are risking things 'asking for peace and quiet'. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ripstanley said:

“We’re doing this for the benefit of law-abiding citizens, so please refrain from drink-driving, carrying illegal weapons and dealing drugs. If everyone cooperates, we won’t have any problems, no matter how long they remain open.”

This is from the attached article. Who are they trying to kid.

They know exactly the opposite will happen.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

For once, a good new from that government.

Not sure it will boost tourism though. People get used to go to clubs after 2am if they want to have a big night (or they go to more discreet bars). My guess is bars will take a little share from clubs income. Still nice from a consumer point of view to have more options. But it might be tiring for some bar workers to have full night shifts.

On 10/31/2023 at 11:06 AM, ikke1959 said:

Madness and brainless... death toll will rise, people will get more stressed by less good sleep, workers are getting overworked and don't get a social life anymore...and many more reasons.. Maybe they should let the people who decide this work after midnight. at least than they are doing something.. and the police?? they will be nowhere to be seen as they only work from 8 to 17.00 ...

Come off it - a hell of a lot of venues are open way past 2am already (provided they pay their monthly dues). I haven't been for a while - not even sure if its still open but I would regularly leave Climax on Sukhhumvit Soi 11 well after 3am and some of the clubs further up that soi were still going full pelt.

Similar used to be the case with several clubs in Pattaya - Lucifers for one.

Agree with you on the police point though but are you sure you want to include the word 'work' in that sentence?

Spicy in Bangkok always used to be open until 6am and didn't even get lively until after 2.

Edited by MangoKorat

This is fascinating that this was announced by the same guy who participated in a historic sabotage of Thai nightlife and the tourism industry. I guess somebody's gotten in his ear, perhaps they never anticipated that the loss would be so staggering. 

Frankly, it is impossible to know what these goons are thinking. 

• Like 1

I got back from "Granny Bar" in Pattaya half an hour ago.  My informal poll showed that the crusty old mamas have as little enthusiasm for the 4am closing as some of the crusty old AN members have. 

A couple of ladies slipped their false teeth into my pockets when I was ringing the bell, so I'll have to return and sort that out this evening. 

Aged punters at Granny Bar related that marriage proposals from the ladies are up sevenfold since the 4am closure proposal, also that the sinsot requests have dropped to 2 million baht, down from 3 million pre announcement. 

Edited by Bobthegimp
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you don't want to get woken up by louts at 4am dont stay in central Patong or central Pattaya... isn't that somewhat of a no-brainer ?

Not sure a first or second time tourist has the knowledge to avoid them.... places close to the  beach or nightlife will be popular. Louts themselves don't necessarily avoid quieter areas too. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Besides 7, 11s what other business operates through the night.? Just bars and night clubs and taxi services if you are lucky.                                                                                                                                 Oh and hospitals do not count or  Ambulance services. Just my opinion of course.

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Exactly how many 'more' problems and accidents will it create ?

Should the bars all be closed full stop under the premise of 'preventing all alcohol related issues' ??..

No, but all night is asking to increase problems in any country

• Thumbs Up 1