Sirens sour the silence: Silom hotel’s plea ignites global social media symphony

webfact

ambulance.jpg

An escalating drama unfolded as a hotel in the Silom area penned a letter to a foundation requesting the discontinuation of ambulance siren noise.

The hotel cites the disturbance and nuisance caused by the loud sirens, thereby interrupting the leisure time of the guests. The revelation of this issue by the Thai press stirred up a global social media storm.

The hotel, located in Silom, has written to a foundation, asking it to discontinue the use of ambulance sirens. The main reason cited for this request is that the sirens are a nuisance and disrupt the tranquillity of the guests. The hotel has also provided documents to substantiate its claims.

“We seek your cooperation in reducing or switching off the sirens of ambulance vehicles during non-peak hours when there is no traffic congestion around the hotel. The residents and others in the vicinity are concerned about the loud sirens of the ambulance vehicles disrupting their relaxation, particularly during non-peak hours when there is no traffic. The continuous loud sirens annoy and interrupt the sleep of the residents.

by Nattapong Westwood 

Photo courtesy of Camilo Jimenez via Unsplash

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-11-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

We seek your cooperation in reducing or switching off the sirens of ambulance vehicles during non-peak hours when there is no traffic congestion around the hotel. (my bold)

Seems like a sensible request. Several times a day I have ambulances blast their way past my house, on a country road with little traffic. I can only guess that it makes them feel important. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sensible request. In the UK ambulances travelling on blue lights usually switch off their sirens at night unless it is a critical emergency where they are exceeding the speed limit by a considerable amount.

8 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Maybe it the isolation of the hotel's windows that is equally to blame ?

Emergency vehicle sirens can get annoying on the other hand, no doubt, except if  it's a vehicle that'a comming for you to get you out of a tight situation ?

It may sound absurd to see a emergency responder, heading to a incident with lights and sirens on full blast at 3 am in the morning in a deserted area.

But on the other handm depending on local legislation, in case of an accident involving an emergency response vehicle, the responder-driver can be held liable if only the lightbar was ON without the siren...

Good point as a building's windows are often at fault,

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Seems like a sensible request. Several times a day I have ambulances blast their way past my house, on a country road with little traffic. I can only guess that it makes them feel important. 

Sirens are to give advanced warning for both vehicles and pedestrians.

So you suggest they only use them when something or someone is or has pulled out in front of them, that will be too late.

Hope if you need them, they are not delayed, as the noise must be so annoying!! Then looking at you posts, your whining seems to be on par with any siren.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Sirens are to give advanced warning for both vehicles and pedestrians.

So you suggest they only use them when something or someone is or has pulled out in front of them, that will be too late.

Hope if you need them, they are not delayed, as the noise must be so annoying!! Then looking at you posts, your whining seems to be on par with any siren.

Thank you for your concern. I don't find their noise annoying, just pointless when they are on an all but empty road with no pedestrians around. I did write country road, and I think you are looking at it from an urban, not a rural, perspective.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thank you for your concern. I don't find their noise annoying, just pointless when they are on an all but empty road with no pedestrians around. I did write country road, and I think you are looking at it from an urban, not a rural, perspective.

How do you know there is no one around, are you outside monitoring every-time you hear a siren.

Seen and investigated many accidents when sirens were not used in the UK and people then got in the way.

It has nothing about them feeling important, it’s about avoiding accidents both rural and urban.

More like another post from someone with a sad boring life, full of their own self importance that needs to whine and blame someone else, like most of you postings here, like you self induced extension cancellation, you keep reminding everyone of.

I suggest as it seems to concern you so much, call or message you local rescue service, police and fire, and tell them, also give them you address and telephone number, so if you have an emergency you don't expect them to rush.

• Sad 1

I used to drive for Pacific Ambulance in El Cajon, CA.   Most of our runs were to transfer patients from homes or nursing homes to hospitals and back.  They were driven "Code Two " with no lights or siren.  Only urgent accidents or illnesses were driven "Code Three" with lights and siren.  I wonder if that is the policy in Bangkok.

Nothing will save the hotel residents from traffic noise if they are outside but double glazing all of its windows and using thicker panes of glass will cut down on the noise inside.  I once stayed in a hotel in Sathorn that had double-glazed windows.  My room was very quiet.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, smedly said:

sensible use of sirens could and should be applied, its not difficult to achieve 

Agreed. My personal experience bring transferred between two hospitals 25km apart during a week day having significant leg surgery the day before, siren blared out for the whole trip. As there was no urgency in the relocation and given the ear splitting shrillness of the siren, I asked the siren be turned off. No.