Heartbreaking incident in Chai Nat as bystanders laugh and watch woman drown

webfact

4 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Please, this is cringy.

How do you know their motives for taking selfies with the dead?

You can't say it's neither wrong nor right without knowing the reason.

They could just be morbid sickos 

You just described Thai EMS taking selfies with the dead, lol.

Make up your mind.

I think you need to grow up and/or educate yourself a little more on Thai culture. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

I think you need to grow up and/or educate yourself a little more on Thai culture. 

Out of interest, what makes you so knowledgeable about Thai culture?

Got an extensive resume?

Perhaps you could educate me about Thai culture. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Half the nation complain if a farang does a bad thing.

Now this 32y. old woman dies bec. bystanders and the one who video this drama.

Like Paddypower mentioned its: 

Thailand is a Buddhist nation in name only.

What a tragedy. At least a few people could have done something.

Karma will hit back for sure

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The tragic drowning of a 32 year old woman in Chai Nat province sparked outrage after a distressing video emerged of bystanders laughing and refusing to help

Okay so maybe hey couldn't swim so couldn't help the victim.

laughing and taking videos to post on social media is just plain sick.

1 hour ago, 1happykamper said:

Tragic and disturbing on many levels. 

I think it's a criminal offense in America to not help in such situation.... 

No, it is not. I've seen worse in America. Old man hit by a car and lay in the road dying. Not only did nobody help him, 3 guys robbed him. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 1happykamper said:

Tragic and disturbing on many levels. 

I think it's a criminal offense in America to not help in such situation.... 

Spent 2012-14 working in South Korea, one evening went to help a person who had not noticed a kerb, and fell hitting his head, told my driver to stop and went to his aid.  He were disoriented more than hurt, showed alarm at seeing me holding him and started shouting, got up and walked quickly away.  Later in the office mentioned this and a local Korean said that what I had done were not common in Korea, in fact they had tried passing a "Good Samaritan" law that you needed to help someone who were hurt/had an accident.  It failed to get passed, so that shows you the attitude of one Asian country.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The longer I stay in Thailand, the more I learn that Thailand is a Buddhist nation in name only. Of course, expecting any Thai to take responsibility for anything is a waste of time, even trying to save someone's life.

thanks Barry, I've decided to minimize the sources of news like this. so Im loggin off. 

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The longer I stay in Thailand, the more I learn that Thailand is a Buddhist nation in name only. Of course, expecting any Thai to take responsibility for anything is a waste of time, even trying to save someone's life.

Unfortunately, this is not a Thai-only or Buddhist-only issue...

Talking from experience, staying in different nations...

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

The only counter to this is if you're not a good swimmer you are in significant danger trying to rescue a panicking drowning person. You should try to help if possible from the shore. I say this as a BSAC trained diver . I would have gone in despite advanced years as I would know what to do (grab her in something of a chokehold from behind) and I  am a strong swimmer. The average Thais swimming ability - not so much...

Agreed. Many rescuers with little experience or swimming ability have themselves died trying to rescue a drowning person. Doesn't explain the reported laughter although  I've heard it said that this is a common Thai reaction to unfolding tragedy and violent death nor the shocking response of just videoing, taking photos and posting on social media, although sadly it seems that's the first response from a great many these days to unfolding tragedy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

I have heard it said that Thais laugh in such situations because they don't know what to do.

Combine that with Buddhist pacifism and here's the result ...

Not real accurate what you heard. Thais' often smile in awkward embarrassing situations but thats not the same as laughing and video taping someone drowning and not helping. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

Thais deal with death very differently than westerners do.......they assume the dead are crossing over to a better place and a new life which is something to celebrate whereas westerners consider it a tragic end to life and it's highly upsetting for us. Thai emergency services even take selfies with the dead.

It's neither wrong or right.........it's just different. 

Being in a position to help someone to NOT die and not doing it - choosing instead to film them drowning - is not a Thai thing, it's something that happens now all over the world and I blame social media. Our "click" driven society have lost touch with reality. 

I was taken aback that Thais photo funerals. Went to my bro in law's funeral in UK and my Thai girlfriend asked if I could send her photos or video. Had to explain it's not the done thing in the UK to do that.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

why the person filming the incident and the numerous bystanders did not intervene.

Unfortunately, many Thai's can't swim.

Laughing during the tragic incident, indefensible.

1 hour ago, paul1804 said:

I came to Thailand 5 years ago believing that this was a beautiful Buddhist nation, sadly every week I am reminded how in reality Bhudism is a convenient front for many, face and money are the single most important things to many Thai people. 

It is the same with the theory and practice of religions/philosophies worldwide......the notional beliefs of any country and the actual behaviours are very different things.

Consider what notional "Christians" have done, and continue to do, to each other and everyone else, since Jesus preached love and compassion for all.

The difference in Thailand is that the alleged "genuine" adherence to Buddhism, and the consequent, alleged, 

unchallengeable, "loveliness" of Thai people, has been invented and heavily sold, by it's tourist industry, as a USP to help bring the tourists in.

Anyone spending more than 2 years in the country must be blind if they haven't worked out that they were fooled by TAT and that Thai people are no less "wayward" than any other.

People who keep blathering on about Thai people not living up to what is essentially a mythological representation of them (which they, as individuals, played no part in creating) actually annoy me a lot more than the Thai people do.

Edited by Enoon
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1