Cold season may arrive in mid-November, last just a month

snoop1130

Forecasts are accurate up to about five to ten days in advance, even with the best computer models available. After that, it’s more or less guesswork, and that’s what he’s doing, guessing. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the department has not yet declared the official arrival of the cold season because the cold front from China is not strong enough to push the temperature below 24oC

If it gets like this I'll worry

Could contain:

• Haha 2

Strange weather patterns the last couple years. 

For expats, “cool” for Thailand is dang warm compared to back home. 2021/2 set a record up north for the longest cool season on record. Lots of local expats poo poo-d the news, as it did not have the week or two of real chill weather that the north usually gets. That is when the Thais gang rush to Doi Inthanon for the fog & ice pictures.  However, the Thais were indeed correct.  21/22  Thailand  was cooler at nights for three months straight. Last year 22/23 was a repeat, only longer, four and a half months. Great for AC bills, a real bummer if you do morning swims. Ouch.  The local installed a rooftop of solar panels last year to heat the pool as they had lost a lot of money the previous cool season. Only effective by the afternoons though. 

Warmer this year? Given the Thai Weather forecasts, I will believe it when it actually happens. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He said that, normally, the cold season starts in the middle of October and lasts through to the following February.

Over the last 30+ years, I can't remember the cool season ever starting in mid-October, at least in Bangkok.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

There are two seasons in Thailand... "HOT" and "HOTTER"... there is no cold season.

No, no, it depends where you live. Down in the south we get 4 seasons:

• January - March = Hot & Dry
  • April - June = Very Hot & Dry
  • July - September = Hot & Wet
  • October - December = Hot & Very Wet
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Over the last 30+ years, I can't remember the cool season ever starting in mid-October, at least in Bangkok.

Always used to first notice it riding home on the bike after Loy Kratong!

16 hours ago, Stocky said:

No, no, it depends where you live. Down in the south we get 4 seasons:

• January - March = Hot & Dry
  • April - June = Very Hot & Dry
  • July - September = Hot & Wet
  • October - December = Hot & Very Wet

Want some cool weather? Head up around Chiang Rai in Dec/Jan.  Better take a jacket.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:
23 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Always used to first notice it riding home on the bike after Loy Kratong!

The Bangkok flood of 11  busted over the river banks in Nakorn  Sawan  9 - 12 of October. That is when it let loose, blocked HWY & rail links. No rain to be seen as that was the same exact time the cool season hit. Big blue skies, few clouds, low humidity and big giant puddles of water stretching from NS to north Bangkok.  I would get dumb e mails from country of origin; 'It's not raining, looks beautiful, why is it flooding?! What is wrong over there.' Garf.