Long weekend in Isaan to practice Thai language

chasemurphy

Hello, I'm a new forum member. Live and work in Bangkok and would like to start taking long weekends in Isaan to practice Thai and get away from the big city. I speak Thai decently, but need to get out of the big city so I can practice more with locals.  I'm still new to Thailand and haven't visited many places. Not into the party scene, but would enjoy local bars where I can talk with people (locals and expats) and just have a good time.  I'm thinking about Korat, but would appreciate any other recommendations. I'd like to get off the beaten path, so perhaps a smaller city or village would be better?  Thanks for any recommendations or tips.

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

Why Isaan?  People speak Isaan in Isaan, not Thai :)

Better to go somewhere where they speak Central Thai.  Perhaps Kanchanaburi?

5 hours ago, marin said:

Simon is correct. Isaan is the lingua franca of the NE. Most people will speak this, while at the same time being able to speak "Central Thai". Find a nice place in Central Thailand or on the beaches above Chumphon where you begin to run into the southern Thai dialect. 

That old chestnut again.

Firstly, there is not a language called "Isaan". That is the name of the region. There are many dialects in Isaan. 

Isaan Laos is most widely spoken. Khmer comes in second followed by lesser spoken dialects such as Gui and Thai Korat.

Secondly, in the towns and away from the villages, Thai is widely spoken and is often used as the language of choice.

What needs to be understood is... In provinces where there are multiple dialects (Buriram, Surin, Sissaket and Korat being examples) some locals will not be able to understand another's dialect.

Whilst Khmer, Gui and Thai Korat speakers will generally understand Isaan Laos, due to it's similarity to Thai, Laos speakers will not be able to understand Khmer, Gui or Thai Korat. Thus, Thai is used as the median as many people prefer not to switch dialects.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

Why Isaan?  People speak Isaan in Isaan, not Thai :)

Better to go somewhere where they speak Central Thai.  Perhaps Kanchanaburi?

Nonsense. They speak both. Thai is used in all offices as the official language.

My gf is from Nong Khai. She switches between Thai and Isaan.

I use Thai myself. They all understand me.

4 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

That old chestnut again.

Firstly, there is not a language called "Isaan". That is the name of the region. There are many dialects in Isaan. 

Isaan Laos is most widely spoken. Khmer comes in second followed by lesser spoken dialects such as Gui and Thai Korat.

Secondly, in the towns and away from the villages, Thai is widely spoken and is often used as the language of choice.

What needs to be understood is... In provinces where there are multiple dialects (Buriram, Surin, Sissaket and Korat being examples) some locals will not be able to understand another's dialect.

Whilst Khmer, Gui and Thai Korat speakers will generally understand Isaan Laos, due to it's similarity to Thai, Laos speakers will not be able to understand Khmer, Gui or Thai Korat. Thus, Thai is used as the median as many people prefer not to switch dialects.

Absolutely my experience. Thais in Isaan, for the most part, speak Thai just fine. They will often slip into the local dialect with friends and family, but they will speak Thai with you just fine. And could make for a fun time learning, as you will be exposed to both, as well as the wonders of Isaan (donning flame retardant undies...)

• Haha 1

Just now, timendres said:

Absolutely my experience. Thais in Isaan, for the most part, speak Thai just fine. They will often slip into the local dialect with friends and family, but they will speak Thai with you just fine. And could make for a fun time learning, as you will be exposed to both, as well as the wonders of Isaan (donning flame retardant undies...)

Thai is taught in schools, Universities and used in all offices.

Why wouldn't Isaan people speak Thai? My gf's mum is over 60yo. Speaks Thai fine.

Old ladies in shops speak Thai fine. 

Even Lao people speak pretty good Thai. Kymer people usually speak a bit. 

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Thai is taught in schools, Universities and used in all offices.

Why wouldn't Isaan people speak Thai? My gf's mum is over 60yo. Speaks Thai fine.

Old ladies in shops speak Thai fine. 

Even Lao people speak pretty good Thai. Kymer people usually speak a bit. 

As someone who has been coming to Khon Kaen for a very long time, livin here full time the last few, I Agree that everyone speaks Thai, but many mix a form of Lao with it. Especially when they talk with family and friends. Issan is a great place and would encourage the OP to visit, if he is anything like me, he might never leave, :smile:

But if he is coming here to practice his Thai , it might be fine when he is talking, but when other do ,he might not be able to  know if the new word he learn is Thai or Lao. 

When I hear a new word and asm my wife what does it mean, I also ask if it is Thai or Lao. 

I often tell her  not to use Lao words as I have enough trouble learning Thai. She laughs and says "Men"     (Yes in Lao) 

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

As someone who has been coming to Khon Kaen for a very long time, livin here full time the last few, I Agree that everyone speaks Thai, but many mix a form of Lao with it. Especially when they talk with family and friends. Issan is a great place and would encourage the OP to visit, if he is anything like me, he might never leave, :smile:

But if he is coming here to practice his Thai , it might be fine when he is talking, but when other do ,he might not be able to  know if the new word he learn is Thai or Lao. 

When I hear a new word and asm my wife what does it mean, I also ask if it is Thai or Lao. 

I often tell her  not to use Lao words as I have enough trouble learning Thai. She laughs and says "Men"     (Yes in Lao) 

He needs a gf to learn a lot of words.

• Haha 1