Obliged to give copy of passport?

2 hours ago, Dan O said:

If is isnt willing to put his name on the contract that's a big red flag he may not actually be the owner but a second hand agent. Insist on a copy of the owners ID card and book for the place your're renting and demand he agree to file the TM30 and that your covered for the return of the security deposit. if he refuses you may want to walk .away

Even better, it's possible to put a clause in the lease that the TM30 needs to be filed or the lease is void and the deposit returned.

Everything is negotiable. Unfortunately, the agreement is only as good as far as you can take it to court. thats why its good to use a real estate agent that has some sort of reputation to protect. a landlord nobody knows what happens.

Edited by JimTripper

Just now, JimTripper said:

Even better, it's possible to put a clause in the lease that the TM30 needs to be filed or the lease is void and the deposit returned.

Everything is negotiable. Unfortunately, the agreement is only as good as far as you can take it to court.

The thought is a good one but not very practical. Rental property deposits very rarely are returned here, they should be factored into the rental cost and any refund considered a bonus. Why? Landlords know that litigation in this area is a civil matter which can take years to get to court and the tenant wont have a visa that lasts that long. They also know that only a Thai lawyer can represent the case to the court and that costs more than the rental deposit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

The thought is a good one but not very practical. Rental property deposits very rarely are returned here, they should be factored into the rental cost and any refund considered a bonus. Why? Landlords know that litigation in this area is a civil matter which can take years to get to court and the tenant wont have a visa that lasts that long. They also know that only a Thai lawyer can represent the case to the court and that costs more than the rental deposit.

Well, if i don't get my deposit back without good reason it falls on the real estate agent who was responsible for vetting the landlord.

The defamation does not apply with vpn's these days. I will get the deposit returned either in cash or take it out of their business profits. Either way, I win.

Edited by JimTripper

37 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Everything is negotiable. Unfortunately, the agreement is only as good as far as you can take it to court. thats why its good to use a real estate agent that has some sort of reputation to protect. a landlord nobody knows what happens.

Unfortuneaty their is little protection even with a real estate agent.  Contracts are only as good as the person honoring them. If it goes south the foreigner is usually at a disadvantage if you try to pursue it legally. you may win in the end but the journey to make that happen generally isn't worth the effort

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Yes, since you now ask, that's also reasonable. You could try asking him for  a copy or picture of his ID card but be prepared he may refuse, if he does, be prepared to walk away.

BTW make sure the contract covers the circumstances governing return of the deposit and make sure you understand the contract completely, if you don't, don't sign it.

This is good advice. I rent a house, TM30 has never been required for annual extension. That said, when I sign my lease the landlord provides a copy of his Thai ID & Tabien Ban for use at the IO. In four years at this address, I've never had a problem.

Final thought... if your landlord will not sign the lease, you do not have a lease. As Mike said, no signature, no ID copy and no Tabien Ban copy... don't walk - run.

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How would his ID card confirm that he is the rental property owner?

By checking to see who owns that property , But even if you did not , if someone came to you and told you to get out of their property and you said but I have been paying rent, they would reply . Paying rent? you did not give any money to me! who did you pay rent to?

Of course Like The Cyclops replied when asked who took his eye out, you will have to reply " Nobody"

5 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Yes, since you now ask, that's also reasonable. You could try asking him for  a copy or picture of his ID card but be prepared he may refuse, if he does, be prepared to walk away.

BTW make sure the contract covers the circumstances governing return of the deposit and make sure you understand the contract completely, if you don't, don't sign it.

And think serioust whether you want to rent when there's no proper written / signed / witnessed contract.

There's thousands of properties available for rent everywhere in LOS with proper documentation etc. Keep looking for your own long-term peace of mind.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

it wouldn't. you would need the property deed with his name, address and description on it or id number, the id card itself and meet him face to face and match him with the picture on the id.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Who's name is on the contract ?

If using contract for visa and or extension of, you will need a copy of his/her ID.  As other's stated, you should have verified the owner of the property.   I have with the past 2 rentals, requested a copy of the Chanote to verify ownership.

A common scam, rent out a vacant property they don't own.

My thoughts exactly - I hope he has not already paid the deposit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Does it matter if there is a lease contract for the place?

It doed if you contract with the wrong person. 

If you don't understand this I got a bridge to rent to you. Contract and all. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, JimTripper said:
9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

it wouldn't. you would need the property deed with his name, address and description on it or id number, the id card itself and meet him face to face and match him with the picture on the id.

I know.   That was the point of my rhetorical question.

27 minutes ago, Nip said:

You’ve received excellent advice herein. If the Landlord is the Landlord and is reluctant to comply then jog on. There are clear rules of engagement anything less is a non runner. 

i think it's already a done deal and the op wants to know if he should push the landlord for more info now, or just wait, not cause waves and hope everything turns out ok.

Edited by JimTripper

7 hours ago, agg211 said:

I asked this landlord to give me a copy of the TM30 reporting and he says that I can "report information to the local immigration." Does that make sense? Can I do TM30 reporting to immigration without any information of the landlord?

Yes, it makes sense, but as minimum you need at least the following documents from the owner:

1. Original of the signed rental contract

2. Signed copy of his ID card

3. Signed copy of the house registration book for the rented premise 

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why?

If you want a rental contract (and you'd be a fool not to if on a long visa where copies will be required), then that contract needs to be between two parties. One is the tenant, the other the landlord. Both need to be identified within the contract or it is not a contract. Mutual assent is one of the 4 key requirements of any contract. You cannot have that without identified parties.

The landlord not willing to provide his ID is a red flag. Unless the rent is amazingly low, I'd walk away from the deal. No shortage of other properties for rent in this country.

• Haha 1