Hospital & Doctors Report

Mike Lister

Very interesting post Mike thanks.  In your experience did you ever come across a hospital medical procedure pricelist for common ailments and if so do you think other hospitals are required to produce such a thing to enable people to compare costs easily.  Obviously every medical case will be different but at least it gives you an idea of the likely ballpark figure in advance.

2 hours ago, trevoromgh said:

Very interesting post Mike thanks.  In your experience did you ever come across a hospital medical procedure pricelist for common ailments and if so do you think other hospitals are required to produce such a thing to enable people to compare costs easily.  Obviously every medical case will be different but at least it gives you an idea of the likely ballpark figure in advance.

The hospitals do have these but I think they are proprietary and apply only to their own hospital, otherwise how would they manage to provide these quotes to patients. There is for example a quote desk at Sriphat that uses actual costs paid by patients.

I had several operations a Chiangmai, Ram hospital and I highly recommend it. The doctors were all professionals. Spoke good English. I sent some of the reports back to a doctor. I know in America and he confirmed that everything looks correct in their diagnoses. I was really surprised that’s just the last two months ago. I had to have a shoulder operation and the food at Chiangmai Ram Hospital was actually really good, I cannot complain about the price. They gave me an estimate way ahead of time and everything seem to be in line with it. I knew someone who had a procedure done an Chiangmai Ram Hospital inside it was a little bit high and spoke to the Director and the Director reduce the price and he was very happy.  TIT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

I appreciate the sentiment but this finding doesn't shorten my lifespan, if anything it lengthens it. The fact the problem was found and dealt with confirms that, which underscores the need for regular health checks by QUALIFIED people rather than these DIY blood tests that many like to do. My purpose in posting this was to tell people that there is first class medical help available from world quality professionals and that it doesn't have to cost a fortune.

How was it picked up?

Most foreign people do not know that you can use a Thai Military Hospital. Many of the doctors were trained in US or UK, thus speak good English.

You have to register and get a hospital ID card ( free )- passport needed until registered, then use Hospital ID card at the hospital.  

Military hospitals are slightly more expensive than civilian government hospitals, WAY WAY WAY LESS expensive than private hospitals, you pay the same cost as Thai civilians.

You DO NOT have to be a military person, I am foreign and retired on retirement extension 10 years. I do not know about children using military hospitals

I was in the Army hospital in Korat for 5 days and am very satisfied with care received.

Entered via the ER for treatment. 4 hours under observation there, transfered to a 6 person ward, then 3 days of Xrays and 4 days of lab work. My hospital doctor was a English speaker, so were 2 nurses out of 5 assigned to the ward.

At discharge ( 5 days ), given 4 months meds. - 1@3x's a day, 1@1x's a day.
THE 1@1 a day ) IF bought in USA would have been 3,000THB ( $90+ USD ) WITH CO-PAY for ONE MONTH ONLY

Total hospital bill was around 12,000THB. ( what a decent hotel would cost for 5 days )

I know of a expat that was having trouble finding his meds, he went to the Navy hospital in BKK and got his proper meds.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

How was it picked up?

About 15 years ago I had a lump in my throat that made it difficult to swallow and it wouldn't go away, three different ENT doctors at a private hospital in Phuket couldn't figure out why and kept making excuses that it was this or that. Then, one young guy put his fingers on my thyroid which is just below your adam's apple and said, your thyroid is swollen. After that miracle finding (god only knows why the other ENT doctors didn't bother to check the thyroid) I went to Bumrungrad where I saw a endocrinologist who did an ultrasound exam and made the finding. The original diagnosis was, matted follicular tumors which is a common finding in 50% of all 50 year olds, 60% of all 60 year olds etc. A biopsy showed they were benign.  The job thereafter was to monitor my TSH and T4 blood levels twice a year, in early September I tested again and the TSH level had fallen for the second time so I went back to the endocrinologist. Fortunately, thyroid cancers are well defined and slow growing so the patient does have some time. The problem is that benign tumors can change over time and mine appear to be mid change. In-between benign and malignant are some ten or so different cell types, each one carries an increased risk of malignancy, mine is quite low at 20% so hopefully it has been detected in time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheFishman1 said:

I had several operations a Chiangmai, Ram hospital and I highly recommend it. The doctors were all professionals. Spoke good English. I sent some of the reports back to a doctor. I know in America and he confirmed that everything looks correct in their diagnoses. I was really surprised that’s just the last two months ago. I had to have a shoulder operation and the food at Chiangmai Ram Hospital was actually really good, I cannot complain about the price. They gave me an estimate way ahead of time and everything seem to be in line with it. I knew someone who had a procedure done an Chiangmai Ram Hospital inside it was a little bit high and spoke to the Director and the Director reduce the price and he was very happy.  TIT

Bangkok Hospital, CM RAM and McCormick Hospital are private hospital and the most expensive. Figure 300k

Sriphat is the private arm of the University Hospital called Maharaj (or Suandok if you prefer), that is the next most expensive but half the price of the above. Figure 130k 

Mahraj/Suan Dok is the least expensive of the three but requires a long wait. Figure 75K

Nakorn Ping is the Government District Hospital and is even cheaper still but also requires a long wait. Assume 30/50k.

Good everything worked out.  When living in Bangkok I had health insurance from my previous job.  It was rolled over when I retired.  It covers me domestically and I internationally.  And I pay for it but it’s a special rate.  Because my previous employer pays a portion of it. 

With the cost of medical procedures and visits.  I personally would not risk not having health insurance.  Either living domestically or internationally.  

22 hours ago, edwardflory said:

Most foreign people do not know that you can use a Thai Military Hospital. Many of the doctors were trained in US or UK, thus speak good English.

You have to register and get a hospital ID card ( free )- passport needed until registered, then use Hospital ID card at the hospital.  

Military hospitals are slightly more expensive than civilian government hospitals, WAY WAY WAY LESS expensive than private hospitals, you pay the same cost as Thai civilians.

You DO NOT have to be a military person, I am foreign and retired on retirement extension 10 years. I do not know about children using military hospitals

I was in the Army hospital in Korat for 5 days and am very satisfied with care received.

Entered via the ER for treatment. 4 hours under observation there, transfered to a 6 person ward, then 3 days of Xrays and 4 days of lab work. My hospital doctor was a English speaker, so were 2 nurses out of 5 assigned to the ward.

At discharge ( 5 days ), given 4 months meds. - 1@3x's a day, 1@1x's a day.
THE 1@1 a day ) IF bought in USA would have been 3,000THB ( $90+ USD ) WITH CO-PAY for ONE MONTH ONLY

Total hospital bill was around 12,000THB. ( what a decent hotel would cost for 5 days )

I know of a expat that was having trouble finding his meds, he went to the Navy hospital in BKK and got his proper meds.

I think the army hospital in Korat would be the nearest army hospital to me (Phichit province) so if I want to register, then I would have to go to Korat to do that. Apart from the obvious, a passport, what else would I require? I am in good health just now, but I am thinking of the future.