What happens if you die in Thailand?

keysersoze276

14 hours ago, bignok said:

Your mum plans on you dying first?

Does your mum realize that an urn of human ashes is a special category of cargo / freight and must be declared as such, even if carried as hand luggage by a passenger.

And there's various documents which must be prepared and signed by various agencies, with costs, And the cargo / freight / charges are very expensive and there's a need for documents to be prepared/signed here in the LOS for use in getting the urn with ashes through customs in many receiving countries. 

Perhaps better to prearrange for photos os the: death certificate / coffin / final urn and photo where the urn will be kept in LOS? 

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

Other than that, the embassy/consulate is finished other than getting and cancelling your passport and issuing the appropriate letter authorizing release of your body from the local morgue.

Actually for US the following are what can be done - note the last item can be very important for settling issues in USA.

The American Citizens Services unit can:

Confirm the death, identity, and U.S. citizenship of the deceased.
Notify the next-of-kin.
Provide information about the disposition of the remains and personal effects of the deceased.
Prepare documents for the disposition of the remains in accordance with instructions from the next-of-kin or legal representative.
Provide guidance on forwarding funds to cover costs.
Serve as provisional conservator of the estate if there is no legal representative in the country.
Send the Consular Report of Death Abroad to the next-of-kin or legal representative for use in settling estate matters in the United States.

Recommend Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) signup on the State Department/ Embassy website. Up to you how much info to list but you do have the ability to list next of kin, etc. which will aid the US Embassy in contacting family upon notification of your death. A Thai Will certainly is recommended.

5 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

How can we do that, is there a mechanism for providing such details to the embassy?

EDIT TO ADD: Here's the UK Embassy version of events, chapter and verse in detail.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/what-to-do-after-a-british-person-dies-in-thailand

That link had a phrase I didn't expect to see.

Consular letter from the embassy is free.

FREE - from the British Embassy? I don't believe it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AAArdvark said:

I will have little things of value, certainly not enough for someone to fly from the US. No Thai relatives. I don't care what happens to my body.  No will. 

So how to avoid any expenses to my US family? 

If your family doesn't want any expenses they're not compelled to do, or pay, anything.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

As has been noted foreign death is a matter for their Embassy to take care of and body will be held until Embassy allows release (and perhaps bills paid).  Embassy will attempt to contact next of kin and provide them contacts to help locally.  If next of kin is Thai body can be released with proof of relationship, but would advise having that information on file with Embassy if possible.

I have a will made by my Thai lawyer stipulating that I want a Buddhist cremation arranged by my Thai wife.

Her and her family know this.I can't imagine any issues popping up but TIT.We,ve already selected the temple. 555

I don't keep large money in the bank and she has my pin #s.

Our assets are mainly gold so no need for probate etc.

In my estate planning I've downloaded and mostly filled out the appropriate forms for her to begin receiving a Survivors Pension from my gov't.

I do believe and hope I didn't overlook anything. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

PoAs cease on the death of the donor (the deceased) so there would be no PoA for any institution to consider.

Yes indeed they do but I wasn't thinking of POA's by the deceased, I had in mind POA's generally such as for the release of the body or the handling of any of the deceased's affairs.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, keysersoze276 said:

I have a wife here and a large family back home in USA. My mom wants the remains. What would happen?  Burn me to a crisp and send an urn back home?  I am guessing yes, so is there a legal process that you or anyone knowsnof?  What really happens to foreigners that die in Thailand because there seems to be a good handful according to the news. 

of course there is a process..have a search in AseanNow..it has been done to death many times! 

28 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Yes indeed they do but I wasn't thinking of POA's by the deceased, I had in mind POA's generally such as for the release of the body or the handling of any of the deceased's affairs.

A POA has no effect after death as has been mentioned.  It would have zero effect to assist release of the body or handling any of a decedent's affairs.  A valid Thai Will with proper language would assist in getting the body released (it would have to be in English and/or have a certified translation in English to be useful for embassy/consular stuff).  And, of course, the Thai Will would allow filing of proceedings here to have an executor you've nominated to be actually appointed and empowered by the local court.

10 minutes ago, CMBob said:

A POA has no effect after death as has been mentioned.  It would have zero effect to assist release of the body or handling any of a decedent's affairs.  A valid Thai Will with proper language would assist in getting the body released (it would have to be in English and/or have a certified translation in English to be useful for embassy/consular stuff).  And, of course, the Thai Will would allow filing of proceedings here to have an executor you've nominated to be actually appointed and empowered by the local court.

Yes yes and yes. What I wrote initially was that a POA may or may not be accepted, not a POA on behalf of the deceased but a POA by anyone else connected to the affairs of the deceased et al, eg, a POA by the deceased's relative overseas, to manage specific actions. The statement was more a general one about the acceptance of POA's in Thailand rather than being specific to the death of a foreigner. Another example of this is some banks refusal to accept customer generated POA's, something we encountered this year when establishing a Living Will. I included this point in my initial post, just in case an overseas relative thought it would simply be a matter of completing a POA to accomplish some tasks.

Short answer “ It’s a nightmare “ I’ve been involved in several deaths / cremations of friends “ if your planning on dying make sure you leave instructions as to what you want to happen for a simple cremation it’s between 15/30,000 baht to be returned to the U.K. look at £10,000 you need a zinc lined coffin if it’s just ashes or bones as they call it here then you need a death certificate as well as the cremation certificate the ashes must be in your hand luggage by the way it’s not ashes it’s bones so you will have to find someone to grind them up to make ashes or just take them as bones . When I go it’s going to be a simple no fuss cremation and the bones to be tossed into the sea when it’s all done and dusted which should be concluded within five days my death will be announced on my FB page 

Edited by crazykopite
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, keysersoze276 said:

I have a wife here and a large family back home in USA. My mom wants the remains. What would happen?  Burn me to a crisp and send an urn back home?  I am guessing yes, so is there a legal process that you or anyone knowsnof?  What really happens to foreigners that die in Thailand because there seems to be a good handful according to the news. 

What would happen, you ask.  Entirely up to you, which should be specified in your Will.

18 hours ago, keysersoze276 said:

What happens if you die in Thailand, especially if you have no insurance to transport the body, remains, or ashes back home?

I am particularly interested in if it matters what country you are from and the cause of death.  We are always reading articles about drunk foreigners falling off balconies (I get it.  The last hotel I stayed in had a balcony that I could rest my testicles on if I wanted), motorcycle or other road deaths, suicuide, murder, just natural causes, whatever. 

I’m just always reading about these deaths and they never include a post-mortem plan or follow up, and I giess I shouldn’t expect them to as maybe it is common knowledge that I am ignorant of.  I suppose it is a sensitive subject.   

What if I was to jump off some high balcony with a suicide note?  I am American.  Does it depend on the embassy?

p.s.  I am just curious and in no way implying that I plan to commit suicide or die unexpectedly in any way. 

If from my country, which is Denmark, nothing happens if you don't have family to take care of the remains' business and pay.

Is one's remains in form of body or ashes of any importance, if the family don't want it – personally I don't care about my ash, after I have moved on.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If your family doesn't want any expenses they're not compelled to do, or pay, anything.

But some thing must happen to the body. Embassy gets notified but they brobably won't find next of kin. Does the local community dispose of the body without payment? 

5 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

But some thing must happen to the body. Embassy gets notified but they brobably won't find next of kin. Does the local community dispose of the body without payment? 

If you read my earlier post you'll see a link to the UK Embassy in Thailand which explains the process in detail. If the body is not claimed, it will be cremated in a paupers cremation, along with other unclaimed bodies.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No idea what happens but no one can be forced to cough up for another person's funeral arrangements, family or not.

18 hours ago, Morch said:

I guess if you have family either here or in the USA, they will be asked/pressured to handle things. Otherwise, Thai authorities would probably try to pass responsibility to your Embassy. If no family back home (or if they ain't interested), no point in transferring the body

Aware of an American who lived alone for years in Sth. Pattaya, found dead, (fell down the stairs, serious head and body damage at 82 yo) by an underage trio of Thai boys who regularly visited him for 'fun' and tips (but he was very stingy with the tips).

The young boys alerted a neighbour then fled. Police came, they called the US consulate. Passport found but no money and no bank books, Neighbours revealed regular arguments with debt collectors because he was months behind in his rent payments.

Had no farang friends, quite abrupt and rude and unfriendly man who had a long history of asking new acquaintances to restaurants then refusing to pay his share of the bill for food and drinks.

A Thai neighbour knew he was receiving US Social Security payments.

US embassy in BKK found a brother in the US, brother firmly indicated he did not want to get involved in any way and told the embassy staff to never call back. US embassy then told Thai police they would not do anything further. 

Police waited 1 year then conducted a simple quick pawpers Thai temple funeral (paid for out of a special police fund). Ashes taken to the end of a pier in pattaya and thrown onto the water.

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1

Dying in a hospital means that the doctors will certify the cause of death so no autopsy is required.  If you die outside of a hospital usually the Thai police, and the USA embassy, require an autopsy at the Police Hospital in Bangkok.  This can take a month or longer.  The USA embassy will NOT issue an order that the body be released for a funeral until they have a certified cause of death.

Dying without a Thai will seriously complicates things and the family in the USA will definitely be involved by the USA Embassy.  The USA family then becomes responsible for all expenses, past due rent, hospital bills, transportation of the body, autopsy if performed, and the funeral, etc., etc., etc.  To accomplish all this the USA family will need to obtain a Thai lawyer to handle the paperwork.  They can do this in person (add in travel expenses) or the way I did it for my friend who died without a will as described below.

I became the executor of a USA friend who died in hospital without a will.  Becoming the executor required the consent of his father in the USA since the father was still alive.  The father couldn't handle this because of age and health so the family had to have lawyers transfer responsibility to a brother.  After physical forms went back and forth between the USA lawyers/family and the Thailand lawyers and me for certified signatures, over the course of about a month, the lawyer was finally able to get the paperwork finished and me in front of a judge to ask to be appointed executor.  Two weeks later the judge had decided that I was acceptable and formally appointed me the executor.  When the USA Embassy were sent certified English and Thai versions of the order appointing me executor they finally issued an order that the body be released from the hospital.  Thai friends of the deceased and I went to the hospital to secure the release of the body (somewhat decayed), which was placed in a cheap plywood coffin, and transported to a Wat to be cremated.  There was a short and simple ceremony attended by a few friends the next morning proceeding the cremation.  The next day the Thai friends picked up the ashes, which consisted of about 90% wood ashes and 10% bones.  We took the remains to another Wat that specializes in a final short ceremony and then transports the ashes to the end of a dock where the final ceremony occurs and the ashes are dumped into the water.

About a kilogram of the ashes and bones were saved for me to send to the family in the USA.  The USA Embassy basically washed their hands at this point saying it was illegal to ship the ashes.   I finally found a funeral home in Bangkok who does ship remains to the USA.  The cost was high, close to $2000 if I remember correctly.  The ashes could only be shipped by direct flight to an international airport in the USA and could not be directly transshipped.   They went to New York, where picked up by a funeral home, changed from a plastic bag in a box to an urn, and then shipped to the family in North Carolina - the cost of that was $11,000.

I went to a lawyer right after this and made my own Thai will.  I made my "long time companion" (Thai for common law wife) my executor and the beneficiary of everything I own in Thailand.  I realize that since I won't be there to tell my "wife" what I want she can do whatever she wants but I have expressed my wishes that I get the lowest possible cost cremation and then she can do what she wants with the ashes.  My wife, being Thai and being my executor, will be able to bypass many of the things I had to do so things should be finished much more quickly and easily, unless an autopsy is required.  I expect to be living with my wife in her family home, probably legally married, and a patient of the doctors (heart condition) at the the local hospitals by the time I die.  It is my hope that my wife will be able to get a local doctor to certify the cause of death even if I don't die in a hospital and eliminate the autopsy requirement.

Trust me, if you don't have a Thai will then you need one.  Otherwise things become a cluster "intercourse" after you die.  You also need to make sure your USA family knows your wishes, AND if you have assets in the USA then you need a USA will on how to distribute those assets.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Once you're dead, your body is just so many molecules undergoing entropy in a very non-living manner, well, except for what is currently feeding off of your corpse. 

I've never understood this rather macabre tradition where someone needs to be "taken home" in order to be "laid to rest."

But if that's your wishes, then set all of that up in a Last Will and Testament and have your executor handle with whatever funds you provided for the event.

Or simpler?  You can buy a wooden coffin for as little as 500 THB.  Again - make a will and ask the executor to have you put in the box and burned ASAP and toss the ashes and bones in a river.  Bob's Your Uncle.  No muss, no fuss, no bother. 

Or donate your body to a university hospital like Chiang Mai University.  Even less muss, fuss, and bother.

Once you're dead, make life easier on those around you and check out swiftly and cleanly.  My only last wishes for those who have me burnt and scattered?  "Have a party!"

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Recommend Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) signup on the State Department/ Embassy website. Up to you how much info to list but you do have the ability to list next of kin, etc. which will aid the US Embassy in contacting family upon notification of your death. A Thai Will certainly is recommended.

Does a US passport not have a place in the back to simply write your next of kin on?