Don Mueang flight carrying Thai singer makes emergency landing after engine explosion

webfact

On 11/25/2023 at 2:06 PM, Bantex said:

The picture at the top of this post showing the blown engine is actually a picture of an Air France Airbus A380 and they have just cropped photo enough as to not show the Air France logo on the inside engine.E9AB17D5-8493-4625-AEAB-20ABA4D0AE6E.thumb.jpeg.4d4e303869c29e8053b74627076e8f04.jpeg

Faked journalism.

On 11/25/2023 at 2:27 PM, Jonathan Swift said:

Pretty sure there is, but the talented and best educated ones likely find jobs elsewhere. High school diploma gets you a job at Thaiger and the other local tabloids. They get what they pay for. I met a Thai lady photojournalist who works for Reuters. Wonderful woman. She was at a forum (FCCT) about holding governments accountable for violence against journalists. She had her eyes lacerated by a broken bottle thrown by police. Here in Bangkok. She recovered. For real journalists you have to go to the Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand (FCCT). I have another friend who is a director for FCCT and also is deputy director for Human Rights Watch of Southeast Asia. I would listen to anything these two professionals say, and I often do. The club is a great place to go and toss down a few pints among interesting people. The conversations and events there often touch on the dirty little secrets that we all know are bubbling beneath the surface, from Viet Nam to Burma. I'm the piano player there, performing on 8 December. FCCT has a facebook page which is interesting. 

Jonathan, is it possible to join the club as a non member? Sounds interesting.

34 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

Honington was my first posting in 69 in ATC. Just 20 miles from my home town ! Last two Tours was on 31 and 617. Left in 91 after GW1.

Spent most of my time in East Anglia, first posting in 67 to Upwood then Wyton. Came out 77 and worked in Thetford for 6 years before moving to Sheffield.

• Thumbs Up 1

New airline money saving strategy. Let the passengers monitor the health of the aircraft. it's good that the airline let the passengers participate in monitoring the health of the aircraft.. Usually it's the flight crews job to identify that the engine has blown up, but  what ever it takes to make sure Por is safe!!

On 11/27/2023 at 12:10 AM, Captain Monday said:

What do you mean heat transfer?

It seems like you are surmising how things might work in aircraft air conditioning and pressurization systems. But, I can't say you misunderstand it as obviously you have never done even two minutes of research on the subject

Air used for heating/cooling and cabin pressurization comes from engine compressor bleed valves.

There are numerous scenarios where smoke/fumes can get in the cabin, I've been there unfortunately. All airliners basically work this way except for one of the the latest, the  B787 (as far as I know).

On the 787 the air comes from electrically powered compressors.

A more efficient system that saves fuel and structural weight.

The cabin is not really "sealed" so tightly. Air is pumped in continuously the cabin  pressure  controlled/regulated by the outflow valve.

Without bleed air or properly working "packs" cabin pressure is very quickly lost. On the 737 in a common scenario this can be caused by pilot error. Result, "Rubber Jungle"  Then tea (no bikkies) with the base chief pilot!

http://www.b737.org.uk/airconditioning.htm

http://www.b737.org.uk/pressurisation.htm

B737-800-Air-conditionning-system-scaled.jpg.webp

Since the main focus of the story is about a Thai singer landing safely, had I done any research it might have been advisable to research her rather than aircraft cabin environment systems. Probably easier as well, with better pictures.

I meant a heat exchanger but my brain couldn't come up with it until just after I'd posted. I tried to edit it but over the weekend I was having trouble connecting sometimes. I assumed it was connected to AN's issues that caused it to be offline earlier.

I haven't watched all the video yet, but I will as it's quite interesting. My assumption, without doing research was that hot air from the engines isn't fed straight into the cabin so there must be a way using that heat from the engines to heat air within the cabin, probably using some form of heat exchanger to transfer the heat. I'm sure smoke and fumes can get into the cabin but given the danger this might cause, how often does this happen, and what is the procedure for dealing with it? 

8 hours ago, kimamey said:

Since the main focus of the story is about a Thai singer landing safely, had I done any research it might have been advisable to research her rather than aircraft cabin environment systems. Probably easier as well, with better pictures.

I meant a heat exchanger but my brain couldn't come up with it until just after I'd posted. I tried to edit it but over the weekend I was having trouble connecting sometimes. I assumed it was connected to AN's issues that caused it to be offline earlier.

I haven't watched all the video yet, but I will as it's quite interesting. My assumption, without doing research was that hot air from the engines isn't fed straight into the cabin so there must be a way using that heat from the engines to heat air within the cabin, probably using some form of heat exchanger to transfer the heat. I'm sure smoke and fumes can get into the cabin but given the danger this might cause, how often does this happen, and what is the procedure for dealing with it? 

If you have an hour or so. Yes there are heat exchangers in the air conditioning system. The energy to run it all starts with high pressure/extremely  hot air tapped off from engine compressor stages, or the APU. In a cabin smoke event, the smoke/fire/fumes checklist could drive the pilots to a smoke removal checklist. Process of which will could lead to  descent , diversion and emergency landing if the source of the smoke cannot be identified and eliminated.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2023 at 1:17 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

No report of smoke in the cabin, so probably a case of mass hysteria. I assume that the majority of passengers were Thai (certainly more than the half reported to have been reacting negatively to the situation), and Thais do have a history of that at schools or other group gatherings.

Although I have a slight fear of flying, I understand what goes on and thus don't freak out if something like moderate turbulence or a go around occurs. I don't like it but I understand what's going on. Thais are quite childlike and tend to react in more extreme ways.