Thailand ranks bottom of the pile with ASEAN English score

snoop1130

23 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

That was 50 to 80 years ago... So, you're suggesting that kids in Vietnam or the Philippines speak better English because of events so many decades ago? Maybe you remember, and can tell us about ye olde colonial times you experienced back then...

Absolutely it does,the influence is passed on from generation to generation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Surprise, surprise, with unmotivated students because they always pass, non English speaking English Thai teachers.. as my boss was a master in English but could not conversate with me,  English camps in Thai Language and a Government that only speaks of important to learn English, but nowhere in Thailand you can find an English movie on TV, and everything should be in Thai..... A bit of big change is needed... Maybe the former backpackers were better to teach than the average level of a Thai English teacher... 

Years ago (at least 48, I was assigned to Thailand with my family.  There was a radio station that played the English soundtrack for foreign movies, news programs, etc.  Prior to that, there were many US bases here in Thailand with 100's of thousand of US military.  Yet during those times too, one would think that English would have at least gotten off the ground but TIT and their xenophobia.  Instead of fighting those different, they appear to sign treaties with foreigners but only to keep a certain distance from them so that the powers that are can better control the masses.  My opinion anyway as I havelived/worked  in most of the ASEAN except for Cambodia and yes, over a span of 50 years Thailand always has ranked the lowest on the locals' English speaking.  Many can read English but I am

not always sure that they understand it.  The folks that do speak English usually have gone to schools outside of Thailand and they went to internal schools that probably had a fairly good English

program or private tutoring.  My younger daughter at first went to elementary schools that had a reputation for English language but we learn fairly quickly (or not so quickly as we changed schools often) but finally found a reasonably affordable international school with a great program - all English except for the Thai classes.  And yes, I speak Thai well enough to go anywhere and talk about just about any

subject.  I make mistakes but we laugh together.  This is still paradise to me.

• Like 1

And it will not get better. Visited my nieces bilingual school yesterday with my wife and sister in law. Introduced myself to two English teachers (westerners or so I thought) . It was like I was talking to Arnie in character for the movie Red Dawn…Seems the Russians are now the go to English teachers.

Edited by goldenbrwn1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Years ago (at least 48, I was assigned to Thailand with my family.  There was a radio station that played the English soundtrack for foreign movies, news programs, etc.  Prior to that, there were many US bases here in Thailand with 100's of thousand of US military.  Yet during those times too, one would think that English would have at least gotten off the ground but TIT and their xenophobia.  Instead of fighting those different, they appear to sign treaties with foreigners but only to keep a certain distance from them so that the powers that are can better control the masses.  My opinion anyway as I havelived/worked  in most of the ASEAN except for Cambodia and yes, over a span of 50 years Thailand always has ranked the lowest on the locals' English speaking.  Many can read English but I am

not always sure that they understand it.  The folks that do speak English usually have gone to schools outside of Thailand and they went to internal schools that probably had a fairly good English

program or private tutoring.  My younger daughter at first went to elementary schools that had a reputation for English language but we learn fairly quickly (or not so quickly as we changed schools often) but finally found a reasonably affordable international school with a great program - all English except for the Thai classes.  And yes, I speak Thai well enough to go anywhere and talk about just about any

subject.  I make mistakes but we laugh together.  This is still paradise to me.

Your experience sums it up totally . As a point of interest what reforms would you suggest to the Thai ministry of education ?

2 minutes ago, superal said:

Your experience sums it up totally . As a point of interest what reforms would you suggest to the Thai ministry of education ?

Pocket what you can from the ridiculious education budget, all hope for actual education is long lost!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thesetat2013 said:

Thais will never become proficient in their education simply because all schools make it so that the student never fails and is never responsible for doing work to learn. Then the child gets home and nothing is done by the parents to get school work done. There is no real penalties for poor work or no work. I have seen teachers get fired simply because the parent was unhappy their child came home saying they did not understand how to do their homework when in fact their teacher showed them how to do it but the child didn't bother to listen or ask questions to understand it. I have seen Thai teachers giving answers to the final tests for the kids to memorize so they would not fail and then seen those same kids studying just prior to that test. Mind you they did not study how to answer. Instead they studied the order of the places to tick. A,B,C or D haha.. I have seen kids fail even that and be told if they came to clean the classroom their grades would be changed. Many things I have seen that show schools don't care about learning. Their concern is collecting money and passing students... The director of the government school where my daughter went to actually told me his job was to ensure the kids pass. Learning was not relevant... 

Well, as a farang your kids should be better educated in a private school. However, I see many fathering young girls and not being able to give the kids adaquate education as they got (hopefully) because of lack of money. 

As I realised the education in private schools is relatively good when it comes to English or Maths or science. 

Just now, superal said:

Preference is given to a young Filipino of limited English education / speech , as opposed to a capable UK senior in his 60s and up . Says it all really .

If I was hiring for a school I might do the same. The Asian option would be cheaper, less visa hassle and would assimilate more easily, probably less trouble too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neeray said:

I have learned to understand Thai English. Well, a little bit anyway.

Speaking of a 'basement' in a western-style house ...... that's the "earth room".

Scooter tires needing air ...... "I need wind in my tires".

"Lift up my life" ...... Give me financial support (this one might be Filipina).

I believe it's called Tinglish..............My Sister you  / Mama me  etc

2 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Our neighbour is an English teacher in a Thai school teaching under eleven year olds, she can't come even close to making a sentence or  begin to have a conversation with me. Very disappointing.

What about your ability speaking Thai???🧑‍🎄

To be honest I expect it will get better with English as fast as Thai culture and society will change. And if you look at the protests of University's students the I've no doubts this change is on the move 

• Haha 1

I have a nephew living with us, after his mother chooses to live for nine months of the year with her Dutch husband in Hungary. He's been learning English for eight years, including in a private school, and he still can't put a sentence together. But he has been given his turn as number one in his class for English.

And my wife was at uni studying to teach English. She showed me a test paper she was given, which contained around 10 or so errors. I corrected them for her to give to the professor, who just threw it in the bin. But then, let's not forget that the previous PM told students that they didn't need to learn English as one day all the world will speak Thai.

I would add that, after seeing what my wife was taught to pass on to her students, I could fully understand why they wouldn't want to learn. I've been a journalist for over 40 years so understand the language pretty well, but had no idea what it was she was trying to teach them. Far, far too technical, the kind of level they might teach at university level in the UK.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

What about your ability speaking Thai???🧑‍🎄

To be honest I expect it will get better with English as fast as Thai culture and society will change. And if you look at the protests of University's students the I've no doubts this change is on the move 

My Thai language abilities are irrelevant, I'm not teaching a class full of ten year olds a language and pretending to be qualified.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Martyjustice said:

The problem is all the focus in schools is written English and very little to none on verbal English.

Have a good friend who is a school district administrator. When I get the glassy eyed look on a word, just pull out the notepad and pen and write it down. It always works.  
Is there a fix to the system, probably not. Would take a top down change in the system. To focus on verbal English would require teachers who can communicate in English. That would cost way too much. 

You miss the point.  In order to have a conversation a person needs to be able to put real words into a sentence and make sense.  That requires that the person is able to use the correct words and grammar.

The challenge is that they have to be a le to read and write in order to be successful in the real world.

Businesses don't want someone who can talk but not read instructions.

Also there are few areas where the average Thai is going to speak English daily.

Solution is to get rid of multiple choice questions and create a must pass education system.

Every year, forever at the bottom.  I'm always reminded of the football team boys trapped in the cave.  When they were rescued, only one of the boys, a non-Thai, could speak English and communicate with the rescuers.  If a country cared, that should have been a huge, huge, embarrassment, prompting a start, in 2018, on massive changes to the poor education system.  Instead, no embarrassment whatsoever, no changes, still dead last.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

Yes since I am Canadian,  i only know British English with help.

The Boot I know is what I wear when I do not wear shoes. A bonnet is for a little girl 

who wants to cover her head. My vehicle has a windshield. My front door has a wind screen.

See what I mean?

That's why modern vernacular English is most important.  Vernacular English speakers know what pavement is and would not call it a sidewalk!! Don't even start with British " tarmac" or WTF is a lory!!?? lol. Even the first poster on here used the word " chav" that is not vernacular English. Most English speakers  have no idea what that means. Don't fall behind or no one will understand your English soon!  Texting with other English speakers from different countries certainly helps everyone stay on course as well. You have to text what the majority know. 

Edited by alex8912

The English I have heard from the Thai teachers is dreadful. If they are going to be serious about it, let the retired falangs volunteer a few hours a day to help. If budget is an issue, there are thousands of qualified teachers in India available. Dreadful accents but proper vocabulary. I would be happy to throw in an Algebra class for free.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I have a nephew living with us, after his mother chooses to live for nine months of the year with her Dutch husband in Hungary. He's been learning English for eight years, including in a private school, and he still can't put a sentence together. But he has been given his turn as number one in his class for English.

And my wife was at uni studying to teach English. She showed me a test paper she was given, which contained around 10 or so errors. I corrected them for her to give to the professor, who just threw it in the bin. But then, let's not forget that the previous PM told students that they didn't need to learn English as one day all the world will speak Thai.

My Thai nephew who I saw last night for the first time since April is just over 5 now. He was speaking eight + word sentences with me last night but goes to a private school here. His parents are both Thai. There must be some major differences in private schools. He lives in BKK. Starting to take Chinese after school as well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack Hammer said:

I  will most probably obtain some criticism from my submission

I have been to Thailand, for over  30 visits and I was curious at the majority of bar ladies that speak and understand English?   Most of these ladies come from a underprivilege background and have received low quality education only up to Primary School. 

I would go to a bank, post office and most shops and I would have difficulty in communicating in English

My theory about bar  ladies being conversed in English is because they had to learn it to survive amongst the competition.  The rest of the population don't care and don’t put enough effort into learning English..  Put it to the test, if you see a new lady in a bar and not very proficient in English and if she still there after three weeks you’ll be surprised how her English has improved

I fully agree with you. I've long thought it's kind of funny that those who speak the best English are Thailand's 'entertainers'.

At the same time, I think there are a considerable number of 'hidden' English speakers. They just don't use it. I've experienced it with health personnel (although also many don't speak a word of English), and in one case someone in the area I lived in Bangkok who assisted me when his dog ran out and bit me, taking me to a clinic and paying the bill - the only time in my 26 or so years here that I've seen a Thai take responsibility for anything. Others are perhaps too shy to use what they know.

24 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

That's why modern vernacular English is most important.  Vernacular English speakers know what pavement is and would not call it a sidewalk!! Don't even start with British " tarmac" or WTF is a lory!!?? lol. Even the first poster on here used the word " chav" that is not vernacular English. Most English speakers  have no idea what that means. Don't fall behind or no one will understand your English soon! 

And the vernacular of American English is, the sidewalks are the concrete pathways on either side of the pavement, which is a paved road or highway.  

I did have to look for the definition of chav.

Edited by radiochaser
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

The UK education system has declined to abysmal levels and they all speak English .. throwing the correlation into doubt me thinks.

No the UK has an astonishing education system, diverse, culturally and ethnically vibrant, and completely attuned to our postmodern multicultural, multiethnic and multi gendered society.

They may leave unable to read and write, unable to solve simple mathematical problems, and unaware of anything in our history prior to 1945, but they have a comprehensive grasp of pronouns, and how to identify preferences and apply them...

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Thanks 1