Switch Electric off at Meter? Possible?

STD Warehouse

Only by pulling the outgoing meter tails :sad:

Of course, you need to do this "live"; I would employ a local sparks to do this for you.

Mark the tails with tape and photograph, so you guarantee getting them back correctly.

It's technically illegal to tamper with the meter connections (hence getting a local to do it), but they are rarely sealed and nobody actually cares.

Or, as noted above, call PEA, but still mark and photograph the tails, even PEA can (and do) get it wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Crossy said:

Only by pulling the outgoing meter tails :sad:

One needs to first test for live at the consumer board and then, test for dead after turning off all loads.

Otherwise, risk of electrical burns (at best) from ionisation as one draws out the inevitable "flash" as cables are withdrawn from the meter.

Granted, at higher loads but .....who knows what is connected and runnng at the time.

Best advice, don't fug with it, get the PEA.

There is a proper proceedure to follow when re-connecting as well to ensure correct polarity regardless of how many photos one takes.

Edited by bluejets
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Crossy said:

Or, as noted above, call PEA, but still mark and photograph the tails, even PEA can (and do) get it wrong.

They did it wrong once at our house.

Strange flicker from neon lights made me aware.

7 hours ago, bluejets said:

Otherwise, risk of electrical burns (at best) from ionisation as one draws out the inevitable "flash" as cables are withdrawn from the meter.

Very important warning! Just look at videos showing “arc flash” those videos are at much higher loads/voltages but the principle is the same though you are less likely to die.

• Like 1

What's this 'arc flashing' thinggy?

In the villages they pull the meter leads out all the time and just leave them floating in air. 

Probably see it more, up country at the moment as trucks navigate low power lines to collect sugar cane and crops.

A rusty, half bladed screwdriver, empty paint can to stand on, small breakfast 90 degree) out come the leads.

Never seen an 'arc flash' in the village (though I've seen a few huge flashes in a large 5 HF 250 KW transmitting site. When the DC to those huge electron tubes had a problem...meltdown.

Coronas or Plumes used to form from the antennas to dragonflies etc. You could see this intense lightning from the antenna to space and music sound coming from the spot).

No worries.

But always my buddies to pull the leads here. :)

44 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Very important warning! Just look at videos showing “arc flash” those videos are at much higher loads/voltages……(snip)

Those loads are substantially higher by exponential notation and this type of arc flash under 220 volt is *nearly* impossible. Just don’t ground out a primary current carrying conductor. 

I can´t see the problem. If you wish to move your consumer unit, would it not be easier to take out incoming cables for that unit one by one and put a cable connector on each one? Move the unit and plug the cables back one by one again?

19 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

I can´t see the problem. If you wish to move your consumer unit, would it not be easier to take out incoming cables for that unit one by one and put a cable connector on each one? Move the unit and plug the cables back one by one again?

It leaves a "live" end even briefly until you get the temporary insulation on.

If that touches something grounded or the neutral there is nothing between you and the transformer!

The arc-flash mentioned by @bluejets becomes a very real issue!

You do not want to be anywhere near that.

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

Quite simply it is the result of disconnecting a circuit underload. So turn, off the load, no flash. The higher the load the bigger the arc and related flash. The higher the voltage the bigger the flash.

As to village farmers pulling cables, they all know, or very quickly find out, to turn off appliances. before pulling the cables, despite indications and claims they are usually stupid they are not, thoughtless, maybe stupid, no

For an example of a safe controlled, but still dangerous with out protection, arc look at welding. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/30/2023 at 5:21 PM, carlyai said:

You've already been told.

Be aware it does not need to be some extra large commercial/industrial site for this to happen.

Consumer mains are fed with ability to drive thousands of amps fault current.

Video link below for your convienience and education.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hpE5LYj-CY

1 hour ago, bluejets said:

You've already been told.

Be aware it does not need to be some extra large commercial/industrial site for this to happen.

Consumer mains are fed with ability to drive thousands of amps fault current.

Video link below for your convienience and education.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hpE5LYj-CY

Yes sorry. I was thinking 'comparison'. 

I was wrong.