Non-valuable document to UK.

5davidhen1

i've sent plenty of things by post to the uk over the years, never had any problems.

in contrast, my sister lives in australia, she's always having issues with australia post. the best was when she sent a parcel to the uk, a week after posting it was returned to her - they'd mixed up the recipient and sender addresses...

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I had to send my birth certificate and about a dozen sheets of A4 ( yes, 66th birthday approaching!) to the UK recently. I sent it by Thailand Post, recorded. Sent on a Thursday, delivered on the following Tuesday, tracked each stage of the journey. Cost 350 Baht or so.

It can be that quick but the last envelope I sent to UK using Thai registered post, about six weeks ago, spent 12 days in customs at Heathrow according to the tracking. The letter previous to that had no tracking information updates after leaving Thailand until delivery 21 days after posting. If you want guaranteed speed best to use a courier service.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Thailand Post EMS takes 5-6 days (posted in Sattahip, delivered to Liverpool) and costs 1,000 baht.

Might take a day less if posted in Bangkok.

Registered post takes around the same amount of time and is a lot cheaper around 250 THB. The time it takes depends very much on the availability of carriers. With BA not operating direct services to the UK, the time taken is somewhat unpredictable.

I've sent many letters by registered post and it is very reliable.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, it is what it is said:

i've sent plenty of things by post to the uk over the years, never had any problems.

in contrast, my sister lives in australia, she's always having issues with australia post. the best was when she sent a parcel to the uk, a week after posting it was returned to her - they'd mixed up the recipient and sender addresses...

Australia Post has been less than satisfactory for several years and they never seen to get their problem fixed. Their delivery of small online shopping packages is awful. When I was there again and again I got advice notes 'having delivery delays at the moment, expect delay of 2 weeks'.

Or get an e.mail 'your package is waiting for you to pick up at xxx post office'. E.mail uncluded a tel no. of the said post office. Call them and get connected to a national hotline, operator not aware of any details. 

Eventually I searched and found another number and called, this time a much more snr. PO person who said 'But it's just a short trip to the PO'. I responded 'I paid a tpt fee for delivery to my home and my next call is to my local member of parliament'.

Small parcel delivered to my home early next morning.

Presumably courier packages and conventional registered letters all have to pass through UK customs, and the time that takes may well depend on the address it is sent to - I can imagine letters containing documents to the International Pension Mail centre are probably waved through, packages to private addresses may arouse more interest.

As for the air carrier, well they don't seem to have used BA for quite some time. Last I heard (pre COVID) they were using KLM via Amsterdam, before that via Sri Lanka!

The difference between EMS and regular mail is simply that EMS is expedited within Thailand, after that it is all treated the same.

Edited by herfiehandbag