Concert in Kelantan with sexy Thai dancers stirs controversy

webfact

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

Only people complaining are the typical conservatives who are absolutely in the minority.

Mostly old women and aged men married to old women.

Bring on the scantily clad and climb out of this dreadful regime style conservatism that's been dragging this country down for the last 10 years! 

You live in Negeri Kelantan in Malaysia? You poor dear, however did you find yourself in that backwater?

Move to Thailand ASAP buddy, much more fun up here.

• Haha 1

By the looks of the crowd, the outrage was... wait, there was outrage? Scantily clothed dancers? Really? This is not real news! With so many things to actually get riled up about in the world, this doesn't even make the list.

• Like 1

Those Malaysian states in that part of the country are like the Bible Belt in the US.  Kelantan translates to Arkansas.

There was story a few years back about a retired foreign couple visiting Kota Bharu.  The police came to their hotel room and demanded proof that they were married.  It was enough of an incident to make the newspapers.

13 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Hippocrites, the lot of them!  My experiences in muslim countries:

Bangladesh - No alcohol allowed, but bars everywhere, pitch black inside, can barely see your drink, reason:  Everybody drinking does not want their neighbor to see who they are!

Pakistan - No bars anywhere, but almost everybody drinking at home, including private parties, obviously a thriving black market for (illegal) booze.

Saudi - Aircraft in transit, women boarding dressed in head to toe black bedsheets, going into the bathrooms and coming out dressed like western models, the men ordering alcohol non-stop as soon as we take off.

Allah who at bar.

20 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

You live in Negeri Kelantan in Malaysia? You poor dear, however did you find yourself in that backwater?

Move to Thailand ASAP buddy, much more fun up here.

I must have taken the wrong exit on the round about.

Thanks! 

20 hours ago, Noah K said:

By the looks of the crowd, the outrage was... wait, there was outrage? Scantily clothed dancers? Really? This is not real news! With so many things to actually get riled up about in the world, this doesn't even make the list.

You've obviously never been to Malaysia. Take a trip to "Darryl Islam*" one day and see for yourself.

* If you don't know what that means then you really do need to get out more.

2 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I must have taken the wrong exit on the round about.

Thanks! 

Oh thank goodness, I was starting to worry. I went to Kelantan once, spent a night in Kota Bahru.

Found a place overlooking the river but of course no beer. Wandered desperately around the streets until I saw a Chinese restaurant with pork on the menu, lazy Susans, and cold beer.

Order was restored 🙏

Bugged out for Thailand the next day and never looked back.

• Haha 1

On 11/30/2023 at 11:46 AM, richard_smith237 said:

I've been to this area and it operates under its own pseudo shariah law....  with all the puritanical hypocrisy that comes with it. 

The Malay colleagues I was with had to 'pretend' they were non-muslim Indonesians just to be allowed into a restaurant which served beer. 

I don't see a peaceful culturally rich environment when I visit such places... I see fear and repression...  people fear persecution for not conforming...  

I'm surprised the girls got as far as stage without a hijab.

Same. Same.

Had (well educated and Dato status) Malaysian business friends visit Oz. On my brother's big launch they drank themselves silly on chardonnay and oggled/cuddled the bikini clad girls who had come along for the ride.

Offended???    I don't think.so.

On 11/30/2023 at 12:05 PM, JoePai said:

Ok so where are the "scantily clad dancers" they are alluding to ?

On 11/30/2023 at 4:29 PM, klauskunkel said:

The Malaysian government allows their Muslim citizens to visit Hat Yai daily, three guesses what their main activities are...

It is in Malaysia which is a Muslim country ?

On 11/30/2023 at 2:29 PM, klauskunkel said:

The Malaysian government allows their Muslim citizens to visit Hat Yai daily, three guesses what their main activities are...

Malaysian here. Most Chinese Malaysians go over to Hat Yai for shopping and dining. Most Malay Malaysians (Muslims) too go over to Hat Yai for shopping and dining. Kelantan Malays are more likely to visit Sungai Kolok instead of Hat Yai because of the distance.

Of course, some Malays do go over to Thailand for things that they have been forbidden from, but the Chinese do not have those restrictions, so there are nightclubs, bars, etc. in the 11 states not ruled by the Islamic Party, which is in control of 3 states (Kelantan, Trengganu and Kedah).

Chinese Malaysians have other more exciting entertainment options which you cannot get in Thailand: Yes, Malaysia is not exactly an Islamic country.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Selatan said:

Malaysian here. Most Chinese Malaysians go over to Hat Yai for shopping and dining. Most Malay Malaysians (Muslims) too go over to Hat Yai for shopping and dining. Kelantan Malays are more likely to visit Sungai Kolok instead of Hat Yai because of the distance.

Of course, some Malays do go over to Thailand for things that they have been forbidden from, but the Chinese do not have those restrictions, so there are nightclubs, bars, etc. in the 11 states not ruled by the Islamic Party, which is in control of 3 states (Kelantan, Trengganu and Kedah).

Chinese Malaysians have other more exciting entertainment options which you cannot get in Thailand: Yes, Malaysia is not exactly an Islamic country.

The place would be a nightmare without Chinese Malaysians.

One thing I learnt from travelling up the peninsular East Coast is never visit a town in Malaysia that doesn't have a Chinese restaurant.

I stayed in such a place many moons ago for one night and was in bed by 9pm. Woke at 5am, got the first bus out of there and never looked back! 😹

18 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

The place would be a nightmare without Chinese Malaysians.

One thing I learnt from travelling up the peninsular East Coast is never visit a town in Malaysia that doesn't have a Chinese restaurant.

I stayed in such a place many moons ago for one night and was in bed by 9pm. Woke at 5am, got the first bus out of there and never looked back! 😹

The Chinese (25% of the population) contribute more in taxes than the Malays (65% of the population). It's economic suicide to chase out the Chinese, who dominate in business. That happened to Burma (now Myanmar). Burma used to be the richest country in Southeast Asia. After the British left, the Burmese forced its Chinese population to leave by nationalising their businesses. It turned the country into the poorest in Southeast Asia. 

Chinese Malaysians, generally do not visit those East Coast states. Too backward and too many restrictions, very difficult to do business.

I can say that almost all the towns and cities in Malaysia were founded by the Chinese. Even in the predominant Malay towns or villages, the commercial center is usually the Chinese-populated area.

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2023 at 1:03 PM, ignore it said:

Thank heaven there was no "twerking"

I was watching some of funny short vids on youtube. There was a female Gorilla who was 'twerking' at the boss Gorilla. and he was just not interested.  It was hilarious - she just could not get his attention - he would turn away, so she would move and try again, and he turned away again, etc etc.  It was so funny - but then, when I thought about it a bit more .......

On 11/30/2023 at 9:06 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

What's the problem? Was anybody harmed?

If people don't like to see sexy girls, then don't go there and don't watch! 

There is the possibility they were not expecting to see them and went for more conservatives entertainment. This is becoming more common, a performance I went to had a band including the scantily clad  girls, and some extremely suggestive dance moves..... it really went over the top. My Mrs was bothered by it as it occurred on the grounds of a temple. Boundaries always get moved......

• Like 1